Page 1 of 1

Forum News

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
by Eugen
First, I want to thank all of you who joined, and also are active. The forum software is decently usable now, and I will continue to look into improvements.

The site has been registered for google indexing, and the bot has visited us already.

I am not one to sabotage other sites, so will not go around and post our existence there; in any case I'd get banned. I mentioned the existence of the site on the Facebook group Colt, Case & Ingersoll Garden Tractor and they deleted the post very quickly, although a forum is a very different experience than a Facebook group, with history and archive more easily categorized.

I believe that content here will grow, and we already have a bunch of people here who are experienced in various technical aspects, so we can be useful to the potential new users.

Word of mouth can certainly help too.

Re: Forum News

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm
by Eugen
And, at Tim's suggestion, a subforum of Shop Talk has been created: Welding

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm
by Timj
I think it's all going to come together. A little time to get "out there" will help. Once it starts coming up in goggle searches it will come.🤞
You've been a busy guy.

Tim

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm
by Spike188
I found us on Google by searching "Case Colt Ingersoll Garden Tractors Spike188" . Looks like the googlebot is not only visiting, it's keeping score.

Also found out that I am not the only person that uses Spike188.

Spike aka Eugene

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 pm
by Eugen
I don't know how that can be, but to us there is only one Spike188, and that is you!

Yes, you did notice google started indexing us. I had to actually put some manual labour into creating a sitemap.xml, just handhold the google bot a little. But it worked.

Found out tonight that the new ownership of the old site apparently has lost the server hosting all the manuals. Out of respect for and to help the community of Colt Case and Ingersoll garden tractors I published all those manuals on our site at:

https://manuals.ccigt.com

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 am
by sdunt
Does anyone know the legal - copyright ins and out of scanning the manuals? I've got a 1/2 dozen paper manuals and a scanner so I could make copies, but are the manual's 'public domain' since CCI - ingersoll company no longer exists? Or?

I've got a but load of the watermarked CCI manuals on my computer, but I'm not going to pass those around since they belong to that site.

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 pm Found out tonight that the new ownership of casecoltingersoll.com apparently has lost the server hosting all the manuals. Out of respect for and to help the community of casecoltingersoll.com, I published all those manuals, temporarily, on our site at:
http://ccigt.com/manuals

When they get their server up I will stop publishing these manuals.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:04 am
by Eugen
Hi Scott,

My feeling about the copyright is that I really don't think that the other site has or is paying for the right to publish the manuals on pdf. There is another site with lots and lots of manuals for Case garden tractors:

http://www.casegardentractorsinfo.com/

There are quite a few manuals on mytractorforum.com as well.

Therefore, I think we would be safe to host pdf manuals here. But it's just an opinion, of course. This does not mean I'm asking you to do all that scanning work :)

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:31 pm
by Eugen
sdunt wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 am Does anyone know the legal - copyright ins and out of scanning the manuals? I've got a 1/2 dozen paper manuals and a scanner so I could make copies, but are the manual's 'public domain' since CCI - ingersoll company no longer exists? Or?

I've got a but load of the watermarked CCI manuals on my computer, but I'm not going to pass those around since they belong to that site.

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 pm Found out tonight that the new ownership of casecoltingersoll.com apparently has lost the server hosting all the manuals. Out of respect for and to help the community of casecoltingersoll.com, I published all those manuals, temporarily, on our site at:
http://manuals.ccigt.com

When they get their server up I will stop publishing these manuals.

Just noticed someone uploaded a watermarked manual to the files section of the colt case ingersoll group on Facebook.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:21 pm
by Eugen
Continuing work on the site:
  • Resolved an issue with the TLS certificate.
  • Tightened up security.
  • Off-site backups are being performed nightly.
  • Added a whole bunch of much nicer smilies, and more to come. Wish I could find those smilies used on the old site, if they were public domain. :132: :4:
  • Looking into creating some sort of menu entry on the main page, to point to https://manuals.ccigt.com for instance.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:56 pm
by Eugen
A link to manuals added. :130:
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 14.51.54.png

Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:57 am
by Eugen
Hi all,
This morning I got the invoice for the next three months of hosting from the website hosting company, which just reminded me how fast time passes. It's hard to believe that almost three months passed. I am glad we are where we are, eventhough it feels like a town with 10 residents :D

As I said before, this site is here to stay. Thank you all for being active and keeping the site alive! :cheers:

Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm
by DavidBarkey
All sights take time to grow .
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 am
by Eugen
So some russian/ukrainian hacker has been continously creating fake accounts. I keep banning IPs and they come in through another one. Quite annoying. :cuss:

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 am So some russian/ukrainian hacker has been continously creating fake accounts. I keep banning IPs and they come in through another one. Quite annoying. :cuss:
I don't understand what they think they would gain .
Dave

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 am
by Eugen
I'm as puzzled as you are :spin:

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:46 pm
by Eugen
The hosting site has been having problems with the hardware hosting the virtual server we're running the forum on, so there may be again a few interruptions until they sort out the issues. :sigh:

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:55 am
by Eugen
I took advantage of the downtime yesterday and made some pretty big changes to the site, but it's not really visible. When you get hosting from these companies they typically give you an installation of software which is easily managed through a web interface, but that has the downside that the stupid interface controls the versions of various packages that you may need. So we were running a really old apache web server. I decoupled that yesterday, and now we're using a current version of the web server. Should be more secure, and also easier to maintain the other changes I made.

Created a new name for the manuals section, sort of like a separate website, but it's not really.
https://manuals.ccigt.com

I have done this to improve visibility and also to fix a problem with the google search console. Hopefully this will bring us up on the google search.

Another thing I've done is to add the domain
www.ccigt.com

and make all these domains go by default to a secure https connection, even if you type in http://ccigt.com

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:16 pm
by Seabee
Sounds like good stuff!

Bill

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:02 pm
by Eugen
Some sort of glitch on the hosting site I guess, I found the site down, the entire virtual machine turned off, so the site was down for a few minutes. Good reminder that I need to setup some sort of automatic notification for this sort of thing. :45:

Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:19 am
by Eugen
Two things have happened behind the scenes. 1. Apparently the forum emailing system has malfunctioned for at least two weeks. 2. Some new folks were not able to register because the Q&A anti-spam feature was confusing. The net result was that a couple of these people sent email via the forum system, which didn't make it to me. Luckily the system did log the entries and I was able to find that as I look things over from time to time. After I changed the Q&A anti-spam question to be less confusing (I hope) I proceeded to send an email to the prospective new members apologizing and encouraging them to register again. I'm glad they actually did register and hope they will find the forum both useful and fun! Welcome @DarrenMc and @candp!

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 pm
by candp
Really glad it worked out with your help and can express some joy to be among you! Here in eastern Washington state, it can get lonely for case garden tractor fans!! thks c

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:57 pm
by Eugen
As we're glad to have you join the gang :D :cheers:

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm
by Eugen
Things have heated up in the google search area. 1000 clicks in the last month roughly! :congrats:

BB56F1E0-CA8C-4F4A-AC3D-1568E40B5B6C.jpeg

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:36 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm Things have heated up in the google search area. 1000 clicks in the last month roughly! :congrats:

BB56F1E0-CA8C-4F4A-AC3D-1568E40B5B6C.jpeg
:69: :thumbsup: :highfive: :clap: :smash:

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:13 am
by DarrenMc
Today, January 18 2023 I finally received an email telling me my account has been activated. I registered May2, 2022! Good thing I am a patient person lol

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:22 am
by Eugen
DarrenMc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:13 am Today, January 18 2023 I finally received an email telling me my account has been activated. I registered May2, 2022! Good thing I am a patient person lol
I'm very sorry to hear that! :( Most likely the initial email went to your spam folder, or perhaps the automated message sending system failed at that time. . This was a new message that you got today.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:34 pm
by DavidBarkey
DarrenMc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:13 am Today, January 18 2023 I finally received an email telling me my account has been activated. I registered May2, 2022! Good thing I am a patient person lol
Welcome aboard Darren @DarrenMc I hope that experience does not deter you from participating here. I am sure that it was a glitch as it is out of the norm for here .

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:45 pm
by Eugen
I have changed some forum settings at @ras101 suggestions. We are able to have now what's called "sticky" topics. What that means is that some discussions/threads/topics will always appear at the top of a section. This is useful when they contain information that is very important to find quickly. In Ray's case it is 3D drawings of various parts, in the Technical Library -> Drawings, CAD, Design. Therefore, any discussion that has a 3D model as attachment will appear at the top in that section. Furthermore, we will do our best to keep the relevant files attached to the initial/first post in the discussion. The discussion can be hundreds of posts long, but the first post will always contain the important files(s). :wave2:

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:27 pm
by DavidBarkey
Good call guys . Some of these post can get off topic as we have fun talking about things . Not that it is a bad thing . Some of the best discussions here have come from getting "off topic " .

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:45 am
by Eugen
Hm... did you guys get the notifications about forums discontinuing tapatalk access? If you're not familiar with tapatalk, it is an app for mobile devices which allows you to add multiple forums and provides a way to access those forums in that app, as opposed to a browser. This can make it easier if you're regularly reading and posting on multiple forums, as you have that all in one place.

I rarely use tapatalk but do have it on my phone for several forums. I received an email notice from multiple forums that tapatalk is not going to be allowed to access those forums. I have a feeling that all those forums are owned by the one and only Vertical Scope, who owns casecoltingersoll.com as well. The message I got is below:
We originally granted Tapatalk access to our forum in order to provide a better mobile experience for our members. Last month, Tapatalk notified us that they are changing ownership. After reviewing their service, other forums’ experiences, and member feedback, we have decided to wind down Tapatalk’s access to Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors on Sep 21, 2023. This means that Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors will no longer be available on Tapatalk after that date.

Please note that your account information and password have not changed. If you need to reset your password, you may request a new password here.

We realize that some of you use Tapatalk regularly, and apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatives include the mobile web view of the forum and the Fora app, which is available for iOS and Android

Thank you for your continued support of Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors. If you have questions, feel free to DM us on the forum.

– The Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors team

The reason for doing this is not clear to me. Kinda shady if you ask me. :geek: :hm:

BTW, our forum does have tapatalk access and I got no message from tapatalk about any change in ownership, or in fact, about anything. I know that some of you guys like reading the forum using tapatalk so I have enabled access to the forum via tapatalk, and chose, of course, the Free option.
Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 09.38.54.png
As you can see below, as a forum owner you can choose an upgraded type of tapatalk access, or Free. Our forum, ccigt.com, has absolutely no ads if you access it in a browser. I do not intend to sign up for a paid upgrade of tapatalk access.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:59 pm
by propane1
Hehe. Ya lost me about mid way through the first paragraph Eugen. :giggle: Never used that tap a talk thing and never will, I’d say.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:04 pm
by Harry
I’m with Noel, I don’t use or need it. :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:35 pm
by Eugen
True enough, if you don't use it, it won't affect you. What I've been saying is that for those who use it, it also won't affect them with our site here. It WILL affect them with the sister site.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:03 pm
by ras101
Eugen, I for one am 100% behind NOT using tapatalk for our site. I tried in the distant past to access a previous site and regretted my action from the very start! Made no sense what so ever to change even when accessing the site from a mobile phone using a web browser. For me this is my go to site...and one I share my updates too. The other sites are getting way too political.. Ray

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:13 pm
by Jancoe
I exclusively use tapatalk for all of my forum needs. Makes browsing very easy. I can redirect very easily to the main site if needed through tapatalk. If the site was not linked up I'd probably skip the site. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:19 pm
by Eugen
Jancoe wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:13 pm I exclusively use tapatalk for all of my forum needs. Makes browsing very easy. I can redirect very easily to the main site if needed through tapatalk. If the site was not linked up I'd probably skip the site. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
We will not remove our site from tapatalk access. :cheers:

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:12 am
by Eugen
Ahm... found the server off this morning. No idea why, haven't had time to investigate. Started it and now seems to be back to normal. :cheers:

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am
by Spike188
I noticed that it was down but didn't think about contacting you. I have been overloaded at work recently. Al work and no play makes me sad.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:50 am
by Eugen
I made a change in the forum account registration procedure. It won't affect any of you but I thought it would be good to tell you about it. There was an anti-bot feature upon registration, which was a question to answer. But there were human spam accounts which were getting registered and it was getting annoying having to delete and ban them. So I turned on Google captcha v3 which I had no experience with. I don't know what magic soup algorithm Google is using but in the last week and a half no more spam accounts got registered. It also shows me a report. Hope it keeps on working well.
IMG_1885.jpeg

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 am
by Timj
:cop: gotta do everything you can, it is unrelenting. Keep up the good work :highfive:

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:42 am
by RoamingGnome
@Eugen I didn't notice any spam posts before, so you've been doing great :thumbsup: Hopefully this will make your workload a little easier. :cheers:

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:05 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
That's pretty interesting Eugen, does Google charge for that service?

Everyday I'm more amazed what current technology can do and more worried about how much is monitored about us and our actions.

Bob

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:45 pm
by Eugen
@RoamingGnome I check each account manually so they got deleted and banned before they could start spamming us.

@myerslawnandgarden it's not a paid service. The amount and details of what is being continuously recorded about each of us is huge. Inside google there are levels upon levels of security, actual access to that data is very restricted. However, various algorithms do have "analysis" type access. Also, if push comes to shove, various gov entities can get access. It's the price we pay for using the services. Old news, really. The moment you get a mobile phone and/or use simple services on the internet, you basically agree to being tracked. What they can do with this data it's another story though; mostly nothing, I guess, unless you are important. I somehow revel in knowing I'm a nobody and whether I take a leak on the side of the road or not is inconsequential to the powers to be. :violin: :wave2:

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:12 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
I see, that makes sense Eugene. Is that a part of Google Analytics? Our web host is encouraging us to enable it.

As everyone has pointed out, you have done a great job, I don't think I've ever noticed a spammer either.

Bob

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 am
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:45 pm @RoamingGnome I check each account manually so they got deleted and banned before they could start spamming us.

@myerslawnandgarden it's not a paid service. The amount and details of what is being continuously recorded about each of us is huge. Inside google there are levels upon levels of security, actual access to that data is very restricted. However, various algorithms do have "analysis" type access. Also, if push comes to shove, various gov entities can get access. It's the price we pay for using the services. Old news, really. The moment you get a mobile phone and/or use simple services on the internet, you basically agree to being tracked. What they can do with this data it's another story though; mostly nothing, I guess, unless you are important. I somehow revel in knowing I'm a nobody and whether I take a leak on the side of the road or not is inconsequential to the powers to be. :violin: :wave2:
I noticed men taking a leak on the side of the interstate on my way home over the weekend. I made sure I brought it to my wife’s attention while she was playing games on her I phone. Hey, look at that. :)) :roll: :roll: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:04 am
by Eugen
myerslawnandgarden wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:12 pm I see, that makes sense Eugene. Is that a part of Google Analytics? Our web host is encouraging us to enable it.
No Bob, it's not part of Analytics. It has a separate web page, you go to this address

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/

and there's a little procedure to do, it gets somehow associated with your Google account. You can "hook" multiple websites that you own to that using the Recaptcha Admin Console which you will see on that link. The forum software had the mechanism for adding this built in, but still I had to generate a key for the site in the admin console. There are instructions on the procedure easy to find if you google "google recaptcha v3 instructions". I can tell you that so far I'm glad I turned it on for our forum.

@Harry :109: :rofl:

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 am
by Eugen
Well, this morning when I woke up and checked our forum the hour glass was turning and turning and no response. Seemed to be dead. Had a look at our site provider and the virtual machine on which the forum is running was simply turned off. This is the 3rd or 4th time this happens, so i opened a support ticket :writing: with the provider to investigate. I mean, why or who turns off our machine? :pullhair: We will find out. :geek:

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:24 pm
by ras101
Thanks for the update Eugen.. I think there were a few of us wondering what was happening. For me I was trying to access my PM's to get the home address for Harry as I was visiting and already on my way.. Harry and I worked it out and a great catch up session.

BTW. Harry's GT collection is to die for!

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm
by JSinMO
@Eugen I know it’s an aggravation. I appreciate you taking care of us! :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 pm
by Eugen
They say it's not something they did, but maybe our server crashed from too much memory usage. Oh well, our server has 1G of RAM and is using constantly around 700MB, so I suppose if it did need more it just crashed. That sucks, because moving to a server with more memory is a lot more money and we don't have that. I'll just try to optimize the usage somewhat. :weld1:

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:45 am
by Spike188
I am impressed that you are getting by on 1 gb, but realize that most of our uploads are not data hogs and are usually links to data stored on other sites.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:05 am
by Eugen
Spike188 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:45 am I am impressed that you are getting by on 1 gb, but realize that most of our uploads are not data hogs and are usually links to data stored on other sites.
We have 150GB storage. About 2/3 gone. The 1GB is the working RAM memory.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:23 am
by thebuildist
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 am Well, this morning when I woke up and checked our forum the hour glass was turning and turning and no response. Seemed to be dead. Had a look at our site provider and the virtual machine on which the forum is running was simply turned off. This is the 3rd or 4th time this happens, so i opened a support ticket :writing: with the provider to investigate. I mean, why or who turns off our machine? :pullhair: We will find out. :geek:
Sounds like a virtual person used their virtual leg to trip over our virtual power cord.

Just a guess.

:D :D :D

Bob

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:50 pm
by Harry
ras101 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:24 pm Thanks for the update Eugen.. I think there were a few of us wondering what was happening. For me I was trying to access my PM's to get the home address for Harry as I was visiting and already on my way.. Harry and I worked it out and a great catch up session.

Ray, my Case GT collection is unique. What about the shop though? Next time you come over we need to get a hood on you and strike some arc’s. If you never plan on welding ever that’s okay. You’ll learn something and get to see what’s going on in the molten pool of metal. I look forward to our next meeting. 👍✌️😎 Harry

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:58 pm
by ras101
Harry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:50 pm
ras101 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:24 pm Thanks for the update Eugen.. I think there were a few of us wondering what was happening. For me I was trying to access my PM's to get the home address for Harry as I was visiting and already on my way.. Harry and I worked it out and a great catch up session.

Ray, my Case GT collection is unique. What about the shop though? Next time you come over we need to get a hood on you and strike some arc’s. If you never plan on welding ever that’s okay. You’ll learn something and get to see what’s going on in the molten pool of metal. I look forward to our next meeting. 👍✌️😎 Harry
Harry...I would love that! The last time I really did any welding was in 1964-5!!! it was gas and I almost set the companies workshop I worked for at the time on fire! still want to risk it?

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 pm
by Eugen
wish I was closer @Harry , I'd love to visit your shop :D :-- :weld1:

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:02 am
by Harry
Ray, I don’t believe there is any chance of starting a fire. In the welding area the walls are covered with sheet metal. Eugen or any other members if your ever in the WNY area your always welcome to stop by for a shop inspection. 👍✌️Harry

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:14 am
by Harry
When Ray was leaving last week, I noticed something scurrying across the concrete floor. A frigging fat mouse that needed to go. I set some more traps with fresh peanut butter. The next day I went to the shop hoping to find that rascal in a new trap I set. All new traps had nothing but one of the old one’s with crusty peanut butter near the doorway had the culprit. :fight: :peace: Harry