Page 1 of 1

New forum suggestions

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:59 am
by MattA
Would be nice if we started a vanguard engines forum someday. I know the vanguard engines forum on the old site wasn't nearly as active as the onan engines forum but people like myself do have them.

My other suggestion would be a lawn care forum like Farming, Gardening and Lawn Care.

Re: New forum suggestions

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:45 am
by Eugen
MattA wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:59 am Would be nice if we started a vanguard engines forum someday. I know the vanguard engines forum on the old site wasn't nearly as active as the onan engines forum but people like myself do have them.

My other suggestion would be a lawn care forum like Farming, Gardening and Lawn Care.
Vanguard sub-forum created. Since we had Farming and Gardening, I added to the name Lawn Care as well. Is that ok?

Thanks you!

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm
by MattA
Yeah that works Eugen :cheers:

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm
by ras101
As part of restorations I have two requests a sub on "Painting" thinking along the lines of techniques, prep for the in-experienced, primer types, and paint types and how to apply them professionally, good paint shops resources in your local area, etc. plus I am sure so much more as a novice I do not know. Parts manufacture when parts are no longer available or parts upgrades such as steering improvements, etc. I would also like to see a section on parts drawings where members have detailed drawings, especially diagrammed and dimensioned drawings that could/can be recreated. Just a few suggestions for now but have many more as time goes on.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:30 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm As part of restorations I have two requests a sub on "Painting" thinking along the lines of techniques, prep for the in-experienced, primer types, and paint types and how to apply them professionally, good paint shops resources in your local area, etc. plus I am sure so much more as a novice I do not know. Parts manufacture when parts are no longer available or parts upgrades such as steering improvements, etc. I would also like to see a section on parts drawings where members have detailed drawings, especially diagrammed and dimensioned drawings that could/can be recreated. Just a few suggestions for now but have many more as time goes on.
Painting subforum created. Where should the drawings subforum go, perhaps in the Technical library as a subforum? What should we call it? Parts CAD design, or Drawings, so something like that? By the way I have been playing with a CAD software (Shapr3D) and am really interested in this sort of thing too! :cheers:

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:58 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:30 pm
ras101 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm As part of restorations I have two requests a sub on "Painting" thinking along the lines of techniques, prep for the in-experienced, primer types, and paint types and how to apply them professionally, good paint shops resources in your local area, etc. plus I am sure so much more as a novice I do not know. Parts manufacture when parts are no longer available or parts upgrades such as steering improvements, etc. I would also like to see a section on parts drawings where members have detailed drawings, especially diagrammed and dimensioned drawings that could/can be recreated. Just a few suggestions for now but have many more as time goes on.
Painting subforum created. Where should the drawings subforum go, perhaps in the Technical library as a subforum? What should we call it? Parts CAD design, or Drawings, so something like that? By the way I have been playing with a CAD software (Shapr3D) and am really interested in this sort of thing too! :cheers:
Tech library is a good place for the drawings.

As time goes by, and parts become harder to get, work arounds will become more needed.

As an FYI, I've been slowly compiling ever bit of information I come across on the hydraulic motors used on the implements and have recently been starting to add hydraulic pump info too. :writing:

I think a good, well thought out tech library with easy to find info, will help build the forum. :122:
:geek: Tim

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:11 pm
by Eugen
That's great Tim, as you can see the Tech library is empty at the moment. Any suggestion on how to break ice there is welcome. @Doublet recommended we install the Pages extension, which basically allows us to have a classic one web page, as opposed to a discussion type of page. That can have links to other pages as well. At the moment what we have is the Tech library forum, whose format is like all the other forums on the site here, a discussion. That can be made to work as well. In any case, help is needed, as I am going with my family through some stuff right now and it's hard to find "focused" time to address this. :109:

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:21 pm
by Eugen
Oh well, much ado about nothing :rofl: I just went ahead and created some stubs/sub-forums under Technical Library.

Please feel free to suggest changes or contribute. :cheers:

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 pm
by Timj
It definitely is not something that can be done overnight. I think input from the members is good.
I think the tech library should be something that is set and controlled, not as a discussion, sometimes we get off course and ramble. :106: we could put together our thoughts in a discussion somewhere else, but the library should be the important stuff/info.

WOW! Lots of time, :dizzy: one step at a time. :spin:

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:17 pm
by ras101
So guys here's the carrot to get the drawings section created -- I have over 200 drawings created over a few years now on case parts that were detailed using very accurate calipers and other means from actual case parts. Also so detailed drawing s of some mods I have carried out to such things as K2 cabs and where I am taking that. Some projects I will need help on for sure but I have a high end CAD program I use and my method of measurement is not just limited to a inch rule and hope. I have been waiting a long time to share these with my friends that really want to know. What do I want in return? well everyone wants something - I don't have all the parts, don't know all the answers either so here's the deal "you help me complete my projects and everything I have is yours".

To really get this section going we need to select a drawing format to submit our drawings.. I know, I know, too early and why limit, but a standard format that any member can access and print off drawings has got to help everyone. Not really worried about what we choose but needs to be a common format that free tools can be downloaded

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:38 pm
by Eugen
You could also provide a list and send the drawings only to those you choose to. Regardless, if I can help with with anything I will do so. As for the file format. Why not pdf for finished drawings, and whatever you and anyone agrees to work on, as commonly readable format?

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:31 am
by DavidBarkey
@ras101 I am not what you would call computer savvy . With just a Chrome book , what I have found is easy for me to navigate and down load is the pdf files . I am always more than willing to help where I can .

Dave

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:17 am
by ras101
Thanks Eugen. PDF will be the sharing format but we will also need a "working"format that can be loaded to a CAD program so drawings can be enhanced for future updates.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:55 am
by Eugen
Here is an overview of file formats for CAD. Some are specific to high end licenced commercial software costing thousands of dollars.

https://www.echosupply.com/blog/top-fil ... ad-designs

In my very limited experience, some (if not all) of the neutral file formats lose details about the model.

At the same time most software can import several industry standard file formats. I used FreeCad for a while, didn't like it much. I really like Shapr3D because it's simple. Autocad is $$$ and too complicated for my taste. :109:

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:13 pm
by propane1
:giggle: :giggle: Way over my head all this stuff.

There’s my Happy Easter ramble. Have a good day gentlemen.

Noel

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:34 pm
by ras101
Hi Guys, so I normally use Autodesk Fusion 360 that is free to hobbyists but over the years has changed what functions are available in the free version I use. Used to be that most file formats were available to save but not now. Not even PDF is supported in the free version but I think I have found a work around to that. I will try doing a double conversion tomorrow to get to something that will work for us. I am an IT expert so now worries there other than I am getting old and forget things! I will try a couple of files and would like feedback so I can see its worth while sharing. Anyone that wants the raw files in Autodesk Fusion 360 just feel free to PM me and we can continue the convo off line. My current (should I say for several years ) has been a K2 cab update/upgrade but that's only the tip of the iceberg so need a detailed and actuate drawing I might already have it in my library so just ask..

Can't help you with where to get it manufactured but I probably have a drawing that will help you get there...

Happy Easter guys!!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:29 pm
by ras101
Hi Eugen, I am very happy you took the time to set up a site the enthusiasts, like myself want rather that the 'blog' that other site seem to turn into. I can see myself visiting this site often but please keep it easy but above all usable by the Case community. The fact that the site software could be several decades old, or that we are not front runners in technology is irrelevant! What our community really need sis a safe place to exchange ideas, to help each other on projects, to maintain a continuity that enables us to know our ideas, our info, our files we share with our fellow enthusiasts our safe and well preserved too. Like you I have a lot, I mean a lot, of data that I am prepared to share here...my only concern is that this will get lost with changes but above ll being used as a means to make money out of a successful site as our previous site was used. I am now too old to start again more than once are you guys on board to make this site OUR site?

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 pm
by Timj
ras101 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:29 pm Hi Eugen, I am very happy you took the time to set up a site the enthusiasts, like myself want rather that the 'blog' that other site seem to turn into. I can see myself visiting this site often but please keep it easy but above all usable by the Case community. The fact that the site software could be several decades old, or that we are not front runners in technology is irrelevant! What our community really need sis a safe place to exchange ideas, to help each other on projects, to maintain a continuity that enables us to know our ideas, our info, our files we share with our fellow enthusiasts our safe and well preserved too. Like you I have a lot, I mean a lot, of data that I am prepared to share here...my only concern is that this will get lost with changes but above ll being used as a means to make money out of a successful site as our previous site was used. I am now too old to start again more than once are you guys on board to make this site OUR site?

I've been on board with this site from the start with the hope that this site would become that "special place" for us Casenuts. While the growth has been slow but steady, things seem to be steadily picking up. I like our simple, easy going, and friendly site. I love the no advertisements and trophies, badges, and points mean nothing to me. Though I think at some point we should discuss funding the site.
We have an ever growing group of knowledgeable members, what we need is more members looking for help. We have to compete with the Facebook groups and CCI. It is kind of a David vs Goliath with the other sites size and its coming up first in all searches. I believe we can keep nibbling away at that by;
continued adding of content to this site,
use of "key words" and model numbers/part numbers so we come up in searches
keeping up with the friendly, respectful, knowledgeable, and timely help and discussion.
recruit new members
If we keep plugging away, its going come. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 am
by MattA
@ras101 First of all welcome to the forum. Second, you can install a print to pdf print driver. This will allow you to pdf anything you can print. You simply select print to pdf instead of your printer and hit print. Windows 10 has a built in print to pdf driver called "microsoft print to pdf".

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:43 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:13 pm :giggle: :giggle: Way over my head all this stuff.

There’s my Happy Easter ramble. Have a good day gentlemen.

Noel
Agreed , I majored in Drafting ,Blue Print reading and Machine shop in high school . Apr enticed as a General Machinist out of school . But that was a long time ago . I can still read most drawings but struggle to draw my own on paper these days never mind using a computer .

Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:23 am
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:29 pm Hi Eugen, I am very happy you took the time to set up a site the enthusiasts, like myself want rather that the 'blog' that other site seem to turn into. I can see myself visiting this site often but please keep it easy but above all usable by the Case community. The fact that the site software could be several decades old, or that we are not front runners in technology is irrelevant! What our community really need sis a safe place to exchange ideas, to help each other on projects, to maintain a continuity that enables us to know our ideas, our info, our files we share with our fellow enthusiasts our safe and well preserved too. Like you I have a lot, I mean a lot, of data that I am prepared to share here...my only concern is that this will get lost with changes but above ll being used as a means to make money out of a successful site as our previous site was used. I am now too old to start again more than once are you guys on board to make this site OUR site?
This has been my intent from the beginning. The site will not change.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:31 am
by Eugen
I'm with @Timj 100%, content is what matters ultimately for Google search ranking and we're doing well and growing. More than that, we're having fun and we all get along well. I'm really happy about it and will do my best to keep it this way. :smash:

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm
by Eugen
@ras101, I have access through my work to the full autocad version if we need to save nicely as pdf. As others have pointed out printing to pdf can be an option but the free version may have printing of any kind disabled.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:37 pm
by ras101
Hi, so I use Autodesk Fusion 360 mainly as my CAD choice and have had great success. I should be able to save as PDF using a third part converter and I will save either in DWG or DXF format for sharing the CAD files themselves as these seem to be importable to most/all CAD programs. These files can be quite large is there any restriction on size? also don't see a way to upload files anyway so do I need to off line them (email perhaps) to a moderator for upload to site? How do I get subsections created so that files can be uploaded to categories such as Engine, cab, frame, etc? (do I just ask for these categories to be created)?

I also have a number of manuals that have no logo printed across the page and in much better condition than some that are available here too.

The list goes on.. you guys interested in this type of thing?

Ray

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:56 pm
by Eugen
I have just tested and am able to load a .dwg file and then export to pdf using autodesk's rendering engine, to various qualities pdf.

@ras101 pdf files can be attached to any post, just like images, and I think the file size limit is quite high. I will check today when I get a chance if dwg and dxf are an allowed format for attachments. I will send you my email address in a private message Ray, if you want to donate some manuals. Or you can created posts in the Technical library forum.

As for creating subsections, at the moment I am the only person who can create sub-forums, so all you need is to request what you need done and it will get done.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:22 pm
by ras101
Hi Eugen.. I guess we will be working quite closely together over the next few weeks as I share the files I have already created and ones I am working on but please remember that I have still health issues so they might be delayed a little.

Right now I just want to get my new tractor home, already own it for $200! bought a new diehard gold battery (the ONLY one worth buying in my opinion and I hated Sears when they were around) and intend to fit it today. Checked out the tractor today and jump started it. From cold it started in like four turns and ran faultlessly, admittedly it is about 52 degrees here in WNY right now. Seems to have a slight oil leak from the front of the engine so I will need to explore that more but probably an oil seal or gasket. This GT has been garaged ALL it's life, the paint job is all original and after 35 years looks amazing. My neighbor even apologized for the rust! on the tractor I saw NONE as even the fenders were power red and not faded in any way. Can't wait to see if he can retrieve the snowblower for it. I will be fitting the new battery today and bringing it home..literally driving it across the street - I live on a turning circle so no traffic either!

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:47 pm
by Eugen
In my opinion, we build the community together. I am not going to ask you members to donate files, or plans, or to post. If you want to do that, it will be appreciated for many years by fellow enthusiasts. Me personally do not consider this to be my site in a commercial sense, as it generates no revenue. In fact I am supporting solely all the costs for the website hosting. I also have invested a significant amount of time in building and customizing the site software to better accommodate wishes or feature requests from you guys. The current site is hosted on a virtual private server from A2 Hosting, located somewhere in their primary data centre in Michigan, so it should feel pretty fast for most of you. The only reason to go up to a higher price hosting would be if we run out of space, which we will at some point. When the price becomes unmanageable for me, I'll let you all know and as a group we'll come up with a solution.

I would like to be able to give credit to any of you for your contribution to the site, be it CAD files, or manuals, or whatever any of you feel it's useful to the rest of our community. For instance Bob donated $5 to site operations. I did indicate it was not necessary, but he wanted it so, and ultimately I did not refuse. To be sure, I am not asking for money. All I'm saying is, if you want a great site and community, let's build it!

My commitment to you is that I will respect your wishes regarding material you contribute, and will never sell the site or change it in any drastic way that you would not agree with. In time we will select a number of members that I trust and create some sort of board of directors, to handle significant changes to the website, should that become a reality. Trust comes with time and actions.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:49 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:22 pm Hi Eugen.. I guess we will be working quite closely together over the next few weeks as I share the files I have already created and ones I am working on but please remember that I have still health issues so they might be delayed a little.

Right now I just want to get my new tractor home, already own it for $200! bought a new diehard gold battery (the ONLY one worth buying in my opinion and I hated Sears when they were around) and intend to fit it today. Checked out the tractor today and jump started it. From cold it started in like four turns and ran faultlessly, admittedly it is about 52 degrees here in WNY right now. Seems to have a slight oil leak from the front of the engine so I will need to explore that more but probably an oil seal or gasket. This GT has been garaged ALL it's life, the paint job is all original and after 35 years looks amazing. My neighbor even apologized for the rust! on the tractor I saw NONE as even the fenders were power red and not faded in any way. Can't wait to see if he can retrieve the snowblower for it. I will be fitting the new battery today and bringing it home..literally driving it across the street - I live on a turning circle so no traffic either!
No rush as far as I am concerned, I'm juggling a lot of things right now, and some are very very pressing (family related). Your health is more important than anything, so please do anything at your own pace.

I'm happy for you getting this tractor, enjoy!!! :cheers:

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:39 pm
by ras101
Just picked the tractor up and over the next few days I will share some pics too. Turns out the tractor is a 1979 case 446 with a b43 engine. Just bought and changed the battery out opened the throttle turned the key and it started right up .. and it purrs!!! Its now home and ready for some TLC. Everything works though except for the headlights that are disconnected and the standard trashed headlight lenses. Went on line and found Speaker 777 glass lenses and bought them on the spot! More to follow as I get into this tractor.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 pm
by ras101
Thanks for the likes guys... so the tractor is a 446 -79 and has a deck with a never used set of blades fitted and new belt. I comes with 12 new belts for mower and snowblower (still trying to get that back) and 9 newly sharpened spare blades. The deck still has the original paint on BOTH sides! no rust that I can see at all. Someone, the guy that has serviced it, swapped out the negative lead to the battery that will need replacement as its the wrong type. Also the battery that was fitted, even though it was changed last year was a dead short and the cheapest model I have seen ever. Fitted a Diehard. At some point in it's life the solenoid was replaced with an aftermarket that I will replace back to an OEM part. The paintwork, all original displays no real rust except for a minor amount around the exhaust port on the hood and the hood decals need replacing. It has an oil leak from the front of the engine that I will need to explore and fix too but the B43M engine just purrs. The steering seems very tight, as do the control levers.
When the weather improves I will take some pics and post so you guys can lust over my $200 purchase :)

Posted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:37 pm
by Doublet
Years ago they had a mod that allowed you to print the complete topic pictures and all to a pdf file. When I get chance I will try it on my home server to see what happens.

If you get the chance you may want to look at it and see if it would work on this forum.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2568796

Doublet (Terry)

Posted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:55 am
by Eugen
Hello Terry,
I will install this shortly, let's see if it works well. If it causes problems (some extensions do) I will remove it.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Eugen

Posted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:23 pm
by Doublet
Eugen wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:55 am Hello Terry,
I will install this shortly, let's see if it works well. If it causes problems (some extensions do) I will remove it.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Eugen
tesst.JPG
Seems to work okay Doesn't work the way I remember the old mod working but the output can be saved as PDF
Doublet (Terry)
t.JPG

Posted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:37 pm
by Eugen
I installed the latest version, which may have been changed by the author to work in a different way than the initial version. In any case, I am glad it works for you still.