New forum suggestions

Let us know how we're doing, what you want changed, or flag problems.
Eugen Canada

Re: New forum suggestions

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:29 pm Hi Eugen, I am very happy you took the time to set up a site the enthusiasts, like myself want rather that the 'blog' that other site seem to turn into. I can see myself visiting this site often but please keep it easy but above all usable by the Case community. The fact that the site software could be several decades old, or that we are not front runners in technology is irrelevant! What our community really need sis a safe place to exchange ideas, to help each other on projects, to maintain a continuity that enables us to know our ideas, our info, our files we share with our fellow enthusiasts our safe and well preserved too. Like you I have a lot, I mean a lot, of data that I am prepared to share here...my only concern is that this will get lost with changes but above ll being used as a means to make money out of a successful site as our previous site was used. I am now too old to start again more than once are you guys on board to make this site OUR site?
This has been my intent from the beginning. The site will not change.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm with @Timj 100%, content is what matters ultimately for Google search ranking and we're doing well and growing. More than that, we're having fun and we all get along well. I'm really happy about it and will do my best to keep it this way. :smash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@ras101, I have access through my work to the full autocad version if we need to save nicely as pdf. As others have pointed out printing to pdf can be an option but the free version may have printing of any kind disabled.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Hi, so I use Autodesk Fusion 360 mainly as my CAD choice and have had great success. I should be able to save as PDF using a third part converter and I will save either in DWG or DXF format for sharing the CAD files themselves as these seem to be importable to most/all CAD programs. These files can be quite large is there any restriction on size? also don't see a way to upload files anyway so do I need to off line them (email perhaps) to a moderator for upload to site? How do I get subsections created so that files can be uploaded to categories such as Engine, cab, frame, etc? (do I just ask for these categories to be created)?

I also have a number of manuals that have no logo printed across the page and in much better condition than some that are available here too.

The list goes on.. you guys interested in this type of thing?

Ray
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I have just tested and am able to load a .dwg file and then export to pdf using autodesk's rendering engine, to various qualities pdf.

@ras101 pdf files can be attached to any post, just like images, and I think the file size limit is quite high. I will check today when I get a chance if dwg and dxf are an allowed format for attachments. I will send you my email address in a private message Ray, if you want to donate some manuals. Or you can created posts in the Technical library forum.

As for creating subsections, at the moment I am the only person who can create sub-forums, so all you need is to request what you need done and it will get done.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Hi Eugen.. I guess we will be working quite closely together over the next few weeks as I share the files I have already created and ones I am working on but please remember that I have still health issues so they might be delayed a little.

Right now I just want to get my new tractor home, already own it for $200! bought a new diehard gold battery (the ONLY one worth buying in my opinion and I hated Sears when they were around) and intend to fit it today. Checked out the tractor today and jump started it. From cold it started in like four turns and ran faultlessly, admittedly it is about 52 degrees here in WNY right now. Seems to have a slight oil leak from the front of the engine so I will need to explore that more but probably an oil seal or gasket. This GT has been garaged ALL it's life, the paint job is all original and after 35 years looks amazing. My neighbor even apologized for the rust! on the tractor I saw NONE as even the fenders were power red and not faded in any way. Can't wait to see if he can retrieve the snowblower for it. I will be fitting the new battery today and bringing it home..literally driving it across the street - I live on a turning circle so no traffic either!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

In my opinion, we build the community together. I am not going to ask you members to donate files, or plans, or to post. If you want to do that, it will be appreciated for many years by fellow enthusiasts. Me personally do not consider this to be my site in a commercial sense, as it generates no revenue. In fact I am supporting solely all the costs for the website hosting. I also have invested a significant amount of time in building and customizing the site software to better accommodate wishes or feature requests from you guys. The current site is hosted on a virtual private server from A2 Hosting, located somewhere in their primary data centre in Michigan, so it should feel pretty fast for most of you. The only reason to go up to a higher price hosting would be if we run out of space, which we will at some point. When the price becomes unmanageable for me, I'll let you all know and as a group we'll come up with a solution.

I would like to be able to give credit to any of you for your contribution to the site, be it CAD files, or manuals, or whatever any of you feel it's useful to the rest of our community. For instance Bob donated $5 to site operations. I did indicate it was not necessary, but he wanted it so, and ultimately I did not refuse. To be sure, I am not asking for money. All I'm saying is, if you want a great site and community, let's build it!

My commitment to you is that I will respect your wishes regarding material you contribute, and will never sell the site or change it in any drastic way that you would not agree with. In time we will select a number of members that I trust and create some sort of board of directors, to handle significant changes to the website, should that become a reality. Trust comes with time and actions.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:22 pm Hi Eugen.. I guess we will be working quite closely together over the next few weeks as I share the files I have already created and ones I am working on but please remember that I have still health issues so they might be delayed a little.

Right now I just want to get my new tractor home, already own it for $200! bought a new diehard gold battery (the ONLY one worth buying in my opinion and I hated Sears when they were around) and intend to fit it today. Checked out the tractor today and jump started it. From cold it started in like four turns and ran faultlessly, admittedly it is about 52 degrees here in WNY right now. Seems to have a slight oil leak from the front of the engine so I will need to explore that more but probably an oil seal or gasket. This GT has been garaged ALL it's life, the paint job is all original and after 35 years looks amazing. My neighbor even apologized for the rust! on the tractor I saw NONE as even the fenders were power red and not faded in any way. Can't wait to see if he can retrieve the snowblower for it. I will be fitting the new battery today and bringing it home..literally driving it across the street - I live on a turning circle so no traffic either!
No rush as far as I am concerned, I'm juggling a lot of things right now, and some are very very pressing (family related). Your health is more important than anything, so please do anything at your own pace.

I'm happy for you getting this tractor, enjoy!!! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Just picked the tractor up and over the next few days I will share some pics too. Turns out the tractor is a 1979 case 446 with a b43 engine. Just bought and changed the battery out opened the throttle turned the key and it started right up .. and it purrs!!! Its now home and ready for some TLC. Everything works though except for the headlights that are disconnected and the standard trashed headlight lenses. Went on line and found Speaker 777 glass lenses and bought them on the spot! More to follow as I get into this tractor.

Post by ras101 »

Thanks for the likes guys... so the tractor is a 446 -79 and has a deck with a never used set of blades fitted and new belt. I comes with 12 new belts for mower and snowblower (still trying to get that back) and 9 newly sharpened spare blades. The deck still has the original paint on BOTH sides! no rust that I can see at all. Someone, the guy that has serviced it, swapped out the negative lead to the battery that will need replacement as its the wrong type. Also the battery that was fitted, even though it was changed last year was a dead short and the cheapest model I have seen ever. Fitted a Diehard. At some point in it's life the solenoid was replaced with an aftermarket that I will replace back to an OEM part. The paintwork, all original displays no real rust except for a minor amount around the exhaust port on the hood and the hood decals need replacing. It has an oil leak from the front of the engine that I will need to explore and fix too but the B43M engine just purrs. The steering seems very tight, as do the control levers.
When the weather improves I will take some pics and post so you guys can lust over my $200 purchase :)