Page 1 of 1

WE need a section dedicated to common questions

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:11 pm
by ras101
So guys, It is amazing how many questions come up here about even the basic things. We have new members joining all the time (good not bad) that want answers. The problem I have incounted , and I am sure others too, is the continuous things like what oil to use, Should I really be using oil in my hydraulic system, etc, etc..

Although we back up and answer these questions in what seems an endless cycle we need a common place to send our new members as they seem unable to search our files. Would, is it, even possible to set up our own section to provide this type of info? If we did that do you think our members would actually use it and send new arrivals there?

For starters if we did that we need a section on "oil" for sure. It seems that no one understand hydraulic oil used in our GT's. No one understands summer and winter temperatures and what that means, etc. I know there are many other things but that's a start.

Re: WE need a section dedicated to common questions

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:31 pm
by Eugen
Like an FAQ?

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:57 pm
by ras101
Yes, something along those lines. We are really getting a lot of questions, especially new comers that ask the same question over and over again. Oil is one of those but there are many others. For oil especially there are three situations - Engine, Hydraulics, and back Axel. I don't believe that there is much knowledge about temperatures here or elsewhere. When they ask questions the seems little information given and members respond with their own use at best. We at least need to acknowledge that and ensure the answers we give are accurate . A FAQ section that members should be pointed to might help. This section though needs to be controlled by the moderators to be effective.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 pm
by Eugen
Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users. Let's see what others think too.

Oil is a very debated subject, fortunately we've escaped big debates on it here. :109:

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:30 pm
by Seabee
The other site has a commentator that directs people to "read before you ask". To me that just turns people off. It can be worded differently and possibly be more effective. Good idea for sure!

Bill

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:48 pm
by Timj
It seems like there's a growing percentage of people who would rather just ask a question instead of going looking for the answer. It hasn't been a issue here but as we grow may become more.
I agree with Bill we don't want to scare or offend new users. I think we have a large enough active group to deal with repeat questions. Positive, friendly help leads to more members.
But I also think a simple FAQ for those who do their own searching is not a bad idea. Just need to come up with a list.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 pm Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users.
I agree with you.

I would like to play devils advocate for a bit.
Isn’t part of being here to advance our hobby and welcome new people into it? If that is so then wouldn’t we expect someone new to ask basic questions? Instead of redirecting them to a FAQ page wouldn’t that be a great time to meet someone new and welcome them in by answering the question? And in doing so isn’t that how a community grows?

I’m not saying having a FAQ page is a bad idea. Probably should have one for people that just want to read, find an answer and move on. Heck I know I could use a quick reference to look at from time to time. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but in a lot of cases it doesn’t promote participation or growth.

I’ve been a member of different sites for a long time. I’ve seen this happen over and over. Someone new comes in and asks a “newbie” question. They often get a snotty reply telling them to go read a FAQ page. That’s the last time a lot of new people participate. The person that replied comes off looking like a grump and part of a group the new guy can’t be in. So if the person was going to take the time to reply wouldn’t it have been just as easy to welcome the guy and answer his questions? Or at least answer the question and say if you would like to read about it you can find out more on the FAQ page?
That’s one reason I really don’t participate on other sites anymore, just got tired of seeing that sort of thing and I’d rather be in a site where people are decent and welcoming.

I would suggest if you see a question asked too often for your liking don’t respond to it. After all no one is twisting your arm to answer the oil question for the 100th time.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, just throwing out my point of view. I hope it’s taken as such. Just my 2 cents.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:02 pm
by Timj
JSinMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
Eugen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 pm Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users.
I agree with you.

Isn’t part of being here to advance our hobby and welcome new people into it? If that is so then wouldn’t we expect someone new to ask basic questions? Instead of redirecting them to a FAQ page wouldn’t that be a great time to meet someone new and welcome them in by answering the question? And in doing so isn’t that how a community grows?

I’m not saying having a FAQ page is a bad idea. Probably should have one for people that just want to read, find an answer and move on. Heck I know I could use a quick reference to look at from time to time. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but in a lot of cases it doesn’t promote participation or growth.

I’ve been a member of different sites for a long time. I’ve seen this happen over and over. Someone new comes in and asks a “newbie” question. They often get a snotty reply telling them to go read a FAQ page. That’s the last time a lot of new people participate. The person that replied comes off looking like a grump and part of a group the new guy can’t be in. So if the person was going to take the time to reply wouldn’t it have been just as easy to welcome the guy and answer his questions? Or at least answer the question and say if you would like to read about it you can find out more on the FAQ page?
That’s one reason I really don’t participate on other sites anymore, just got tired of seeing that sort of thing and I’d rather be in a site where people are decent and welcoming.

I would suggest if you see a question asked too often for your liking don’t respond to it. After all no one is twisting your arm to answer the oil question for the 100th time.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, just throwing out my point of view. I hope it’s taken as such. Just my 2 cents.
Very good 2 cents worth Jeff. The engine oil in the hydraulic is a unique feature of these tractors. Passing it off to a FAQ may not be enough. People completely new to these tractors may not even know how to ask the right questions. Everyone needs to start learning somewhere. Getting put down is something that shouldn't happen. I agree about a written reply opening up a dialogue.
Having a few threads bookmarked to pass on is not a bad idea either.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:15 am
by propane1
JSinMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
I agree with you.

Great answer Jeff. I agree with you.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:35 am
by Eugen
Great feedback everyone. Let's keep our little community friendly and engaging. :smash:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:43 am
by DavidBarkey
Jeff, Noel , Tim , Bill , I Agree too . There only repeatedly asked question because the issue is new to that person or it has not happened to someone in such at as they do not remember . It can be difficult to find the answer if unsure of how ask the question or where to look . Everyone back ground and experiences are different . If we all just found our own information , what would be the point of the site . Just have digital library instead . But that the point , it is to interact with others . If someone feels that it is beneath them or otherwise anoid by the question , just keep scrolling . Someone else will help them .
You may keep the change .

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:23 am
by RoamingGnome
Seabee wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:30 pm The other site has a commentator that directs people to "read before you ask". To me that just turns people off. It can be worded differently and possibly be more effective. Good idea for sure!

Bill
I found the "read before you ask" comment on another site to be a little off putting as well - and was happy there wasn't anything like that when I joined here.

As for an FAQ page - it could be helpful to have some info as a "sticky" at the top of a section. I would certainly use a quick reference list when I get older and start forget little things - like "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey?", "How does the neutral safety switch work?" and - "can I use 15w40 everywhere except the fuel tank?" I think it would make it easier to find the simple, quick little answers for everyone...

Bottom line for me is that I like the fact that we encourage interaction with those who ask questions and those who want to reply - rather than a brusque "you must be a newbie - go look in the FAQ"

my $0.02

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:09 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:43 am Jeff, Noel , Tim , Bill , I Agree too . There only repeatedly asked question because the issue is new to that person or it has not happened to someone in such at as they do not remember . It can be difficult to find the answer if unsure of how ask the question or where to look . Everyone back ground and experiences are different . If we all just found our own information , what would be the point of the site . Just have digital library instead . But that the point , it is to interact with others . If someone feels that it is beneath them or otherwise anoid by the question , just keep scrolling . Someone else will help them .
You may keep the change .
Another great paragraph, and again I agree.
People come to these sites to chat with other people for entertainment and information.

Just my short ramble.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 pm
by thebuildist
Friendly Schmiendly!

I say we have a flame war!

I'll go first: you MUST use Rotella brand 15w40 in both your engine and hydro system.

Anybody who does anything else doesn't know nuthin'. :cool:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:10 pm
by Timj
thebuildist wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:16 pm Friendly Schmiendly!

I say we have a flame war!

I'll go first: you MUST use Rotella brand 15w40 in both your engine and hydro system.

Anybody who does anything else doesn't know nuthin'. :cool:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:40: way to go Bob, you just had to get it started :fight: :rofl:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:46 pm
by propane1
I just use Canadian tire brand oil. Hehe. :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:47 pm
by thebuildist
:hitsfan: :hitsfan: :hitsfan:

:30: :tongue: :)) :)) :))

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:50 pm
by thebuildist
Well I met a guy who has been running used cooking oil in all his Ingersoll machines for over 75 years, and he's never had a problem with it!

:78: :drool: :35:

Bob

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:51 pm
by thebuildist
Other than the pack of hungry dogs following him around waiting to get some french fries....

:rofl:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:54 pm
by thebuildist
Okay, full disclosure:

That last post was a joke. Just a joke. Do not run cooking oil, new or used, in any part of your Case / Ingersoll machine.

Unless you've got one of those diesel ingersolls. In which case you apparently can burn it as fuel. But you still can't run it in your engine's crankcase.

Just to be clear. It was a joke.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 pm
by Harry
When I first joined the CCI site, I asked a few questions and I would get replies like use the search engine. So I stopped asking and started searching to find the answers. It helped me learn about the site and how to find answers and helped me learn about other things I found interesting. Sometimes I would start reading and learning and say to myself what was I looking to find out. :43: never the less it helped to educate myself. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:42 pm
by Timj
Harry wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 pm When I first joined the CCI site, I asked a few questions and I would get replies like use the search engine. So I stopped asking and started searching to find the answers. It helped me learn about the site and how to find answers and helped me learn about other things I found interesting. Sometimes I would start reading and learning and say to myself what was I looking to find out. :43: never the less it helped to educate myself. :peace: Harry
I agree Harry, I've gotten pretty far off track looking for something but have usually learned something. I think a lot of new users need that little help to get figured out how the sites work.

I will say that I've read quite a few old post's and will say that some of the answers to questions were quite blunt to say the least. I don't think this would work well with today's users.

As a whole, I will say I think garden tractor people are some of the best. :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:22 pm
by keith
So now that I have all this used cooking oil from all the fast food restaurants in town, I will need to go to the cooking channel for some meal ideas. :122:

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 pm
by ras101
So here's what I am hearing guys... I am very much in support of your answers .. I asked the question i must admit a little tongue in cheek as other sites seem to err that way. Like you I want a site that accepts newcomers, want to help them too, but also learn from each other and move ahead.