WE need a section dedicated to common questions

Let us know how we're doing, what you want changed, or flag problems.
ras101 United States of America

WE need a section dedicated to common questions

Post by ras101 »

So guys, It is amazing how many questions come up here about even the basic things. We have new members joining all the time (good not bad) that want answers. The problem I have incounted , and I am sure others too, is the continuous things like what oil to use, Should I really be using oil in my hydraulic system, etc, etc..

Although we back up and answer these questions in what seems an endless cycle we need a common place to send our new members as they seem unable to search our files. Would, is it, even possible to set up our own section to provide this type of info? If we did that do you think our members would actually use it and send new arrivals there?

For starters if we did that we need a section on "oil" for sure. It seems that no one understand hydraulic oil used in our GT's. No one understands summer and winter temperatures and what that means, etc. I know there are many other things but that's a start.
Eugen Canada

Re: WE need a section dedicated to common questions

Post by Eugen »

Like an FAQ?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Yes, something along those lines. We are really getting a lot of questions, especially new comers that ask the same question over and over again. Oil is one of those but there are many others. For oil especially there are three situations - Engine, Hydraulics, and back Axel. I don't believe that there is much knowledge about temperatures here or elsewhere. When they ask questions the seems little information given and members respond with their own use at best. We at least need to acknowledge that and ensure the answers we give are accurate . A FAQ section that members should be pointed to might help. This section though needs to be controlled by the moderators to be effective.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users. Let's see what others think too.

Oil is a very debated subject, fortunately we've escaped big debates on it here. :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

The other site has a commentator that directs people to "read before you ask". To me that just turns people off. It can be worded differently and possibly be more effective. Good idea for sure!

Bill
Bill Moyer
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

It seems like there's a growing percentage of people who would rather just ask a question instead of going looking for the answer. It hasn't been a issue here but as we grow may become more.
I agree with Bill we don't want to scare or offend new users. I think we have a large enough active group to deal with repeat questions. Positive, friendly help leads to more members.
But I also think a simple FAQ for those who do their own searching is not a bad idea. Just need to come up with a list.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 pm Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users.
I agree with you.

I would like to play devils advocate for a bit.
Isn’t part of being here to advance our hobby and welcome new people into it? If that is so then wouldn’t we expect someone new to ask basic questions? Instead of redirecting them to a FAQ page wouldn’t that be a great time to meet someone new and welcome them in by answering the question? And in doing so isn’t that how a community grows?

I’m not saying having a FAQ page is a bad idea. Probably should have one for people that just want to read, find an answer and move on. Heck I know I could use a quick reference to look at from time to time. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but in a lot of cases it doesn’t promote participation or growth.

I’ve been a member of different sites for a long time. I’ve seen this happen over and over. Someone new comes in and asks a “newbie” question. They often get a snotty reply telling them to go read a FAQ page. That’s the last time a lot of new people participate. The person that replied comes off looking like a grump and part of a group the new guy can’t be in. So if the person was going to take the time to reply wouldn’t it have been just as easy to welcome the guy and answer his questions? Or at least answer the question and say if you would like to read about it you can find out more on the FAQ page?
That’s one reason I really don’t participate on other sites anymore, just got tired of seeing that sort of thing and I’d rather be in a site where people are decent and welcoming.

I would suggest if you see a question asked too often for your liking don’t respond to it. After all no one is twisting your arm to answer the oil question for the 100th time.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, just throwing out my point of view. I hope it’s taken as such. Just my 2 cents.
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
Eugen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 pm Not sure we're really having this problem here, with so few new users.
I agree with you.

Isn’t part of being here to advance our hobby and welcome new people into it? If that is so then wouldn’t we expect someone new to ask basic questions? Instead of redirecting them to a FAQ page wouldn’t that be a great time to meet someone new and welcome them in by answering the question? And in doing so isn’t that how a community grows?

I’m not saying having a FAQ page is a bad idea. Probably should have one for people that just want to read, find an answer and move on. Heck I know I could use a quick reference to look at from time to time. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but in a lot of cases it doesn’t promote participation or growth.

I’ve been a member of different sites for a long time. I’ve seen this happen over and over. Someone new comes in and asks a “newbie” question. They often get a snotty reply telling them to go read a FAQ page. That’s the last time a lot of new people participate. The person that replied comes off looking like a grump and part of a group the new guy can’t be in. So if the person was going to take the time to reply wouldn’t it have been just as easy to welcome the guy and answer his questions? Or at least answer the question and say if you would like to read about it you can find out more on the FAQ page?
That’s one reason I really don’t participate on other sites anymore, just got tired of seeing that sort of thing and I’d rather be in a site where people are decent and welcoming.

I would suggest if you see a question asked too often for your liking don’t respond to it. After all no one is twisting your arm to answer the oil question for the 100th time.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, just throwing out my point of view. I hope it’s taken as such. Just my 2 cents.
Very good 2 cents worth Jeff. The engine oil in the hydraulic is a unique feature of these tractors. Passing it off to a FAQ may not be enough. People completely new to these tractors may not even know how to ask the right questions. Everyone needs to start learning somewhere. Getting put down is something that shouldn't happen. I agree about a written reply opening up a dialogue.
Having a few threads bookmarked to pass on is not a bad idea either.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
I agree with you.

Great answer Jeff. I agree with you.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Great feedback everyone. Let's keep our little community friendly and engaging. :smash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E