Page 1 of 1

Loader holding wood.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:03 am
by propane1
If I only had a hydraulic loader, but this winch operated one works good too. Just can’t lift and hold like a hydraulic one. So you adapt to its capabilities.
Set the wood on it and used a buck saw to cut it up. Or weave the branch through the loader arms makes it even easier to hold and cut. And can stand up and cut. Lot easier on my back. Little cold and damp today so have wood stove on low and after using the buck saw, I’m not cold any more. Coulda used the chainsaw. But I needed the exercise. Mountain ash is what I believe the wood is. Quite a few gone dead. Have a bigger one a little farther out the driveway I’m going to get hopefully today. Its about 8” to 10” at the base. So the chain saw will be used for that, other than the branches around 4” or so and smaller.
Will add pictures of the bigger one , when I get at it. Don’t want it to blow down on the car some day. Hurricane season coming in a few months.

That was sorta a wood ramble. :giggle:

Noel

Re: Loader holding wood.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:35 am
by propane1
This one is next.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:38 am
by Eugen
with so much room around it, just push it over Noel!!! :D

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:45 pm
by propane1
Next tree down and blocked, split, put away.

Anyway. Few more to do. Not critical, but dead and they show up in the greenery of the other trees. Just to get them down and make things look a little better. And get it seasoned so I can burn it. Nasty old wood, twisted and wet.

And dirt, scratches on the paint. Jumpins. :40:

Noel.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:28 pm
by Eugen
Nice pictures Noel! You got that tractor looking real nice! :wave:

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:57 pm
by JSinMO
A little dirt and a couple of scratches makes it an honest good looking work tractor, not a trailer queen. Nothing wrong with that!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:32 am
by Toolslinger
I think the paint on the floor boards was gone on most of my machines before I was born... Continued application of dirt and oil mixture from boots seems to keep them from rusting... :spin:

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:16 pm
by propane1
Figured I’d do a few more branches in the sunny 70F (21C) heat. Used a extension hand saw to get the branches down, then used a hand buck saw to cut them up, cutting with the right arm and switch to the left arm. Good exercise for the arms. This poor old fat fella needs exercise. :giggle:
Anyway got some done today, still some more yet. Seems the more you look, the more ya find. Gives some exercise, makes the woods look better and some extra firewood. Plus fun and work with the tractor.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:15 pm
by propane1
Little more done today. A few minutes with the chainsaw to cut up the branches on the loader, until the saw ran out of gas, so the last quarter of the cutting was done with the buck saw. Saving gas, I guess.
Anyway, nice little load of hardwood.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:22 pm
by Eugen
Good job Noel! Come here, I have 4 more ash trees to bring down!!! :cheers:

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:55 pm
by Eugen
Today I needed to clean up some branches.

34B3AA5E-6808-49D5-BADB-62115BAB534C.jpeg

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:55 pm Today I needed to clean up some branches.

I like the bucket forks. Might have to think about that in the future!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Jeff, I find these clamp on forks useful, but I do regret a little not getting proper forklift forks. I got these because of the price, which was low, and the fact that I could use them right away. The fact that they clamp on directly to the bucket is a two edged sword; on the one hand they're usable right away, but on the other hand you do run the risk of bending the bucket. My bucket now has two marks where the clamp screw sets. The lower bucket platform did not get bent, although I hauled some very heavy logs; this is more of a testament of how tough the 600 series bucket is.

The alternative and first choice for me was to get a pair of forklift forks. Found some locally for about $200 CAD, but I lacked the mounting mechanism and was aware of the lack of time I have to come up with a decent one.

This is just how it feels right now, a little bitter sweet. Not unhappy with the bucket forks, they do the job and I was able to do what I needed without delay, but would have been much happier with forklift forks properly attached somehow to the loader. At some point I will probably come up with a quick-attach type mounting for the bucket and then forks.
Just my 2c

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:25 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Jeff, I find these clamp on forks useful, but I do regret a little not getting proper forklift forks. I got these because of the price, which was low, and the fact that I could use them right away. The fact that they clamp on directly to the bucket is a two edged sword; on the one hand they're usable right away, but on the other hand you do run the risk of bending the bucket. My bucket now has two marks where the clamp screw sets. The lower bucket platform did not get bent, although I hauled some very heavy logs; this is more of a testament of how tough the 600 series bucket is.

The alternative and first choice for me was to get a pair of forklift forks. Found some locally for about $200 CAD, but I lacked the mounting mechanism and was aware of the lack of time I have to come up with a decent one.

This is just how it feels right now, a little bitter sweet. Not unhappy with the bucket forks, they do the job and I was able to do what I needed without delay, but would have been much happier with forklift forks properly attached somehow to the loader. At some point I will probably come up with a quick-attach type mounting for the bucket and then forks.
Just my 2c
I here you. Life always seems to be about compromises. Sounds like you’ve found your comfortable limit on weight without damaging the bucket. It may not be optimal but it’s still quite a handy attachment.