New Chainsaw for me...

RoamingGnome Canada

New Chainsaw for me...

Post by RoamingGnome »

Still haven't been up to our property in Lanark Highlands this year :pullhair: But I'm getting ready for that first trip, hopefully this coming week. :please: Found out last week I could buy Home Depot Gift Cards with our credit card reward miles - we used to use them for vacation airfare, that hasn't happened since before Covid. I've been itching for a big cordless battery powered chainsaw ever since Santa brought me a Milwaukee M12 "Hatchet" 2 years ago. For a 6" "pruning" saw running off 12v batteries it really cuts the wood - perfect for single handed limbing and clearing brushy bits...
PXL_20230702_200131538 (Large).jpg
Pouring rain in Southern Ontario today, so we did a little shopping, cashed in my gift cards before they burned a hole in my wallet and came home with the Milwaukee M18 cordless chain saw w/16" bar
PXL_20230512_003518797 (Large).jpg
Hopefully I'll get to do a little comparison between the 16" cordless and my Echo CS590 that was last years birthday present and also hasn't made any sawdust yet... Just itching to be a busy :bee: and go cut something!
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
propane1 Canada

Re: New Chainsaw for me...

Post by propane1 »

Both look very nice Gerry. Hopefully you have better luck than I did with buying my new chain saw.

Noel
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Your really gonna like that saw. A friend has that same one. He paired it with a 9ah battery and that thing just chews up everything given to it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Jancoe wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:55 pm Your really gonna like that saw. A friend has that same one. He paired it with a 9ah battery and that thing just chews up everything given to it.
Thanks @Jancoe I got the kit with the 12ah battery and was pleased with how quick the battery charged last night. I've been really happy with how the little 12v one has worked out.

@propane1 I finally figured it was time to invest in some better quality saws, we don't use them a lot in the city mostly cleaning up broken branches and stuff. Always bought the factory refurbished ones from Princess auto, they were cheap enough to be almost "disposable" after you started having issues with them. We've got a handful in the shed that are destined for the scrapyard now... spent a couple of weeks last spring trying to fix crumbling primer bulbs, broken fuel lines and gummed up carburetors, got one of them to work again, (told :wife: it was cheaper than taking a night school class in small engine repair) but it wasn't reliable when you needed it. Gave Princess once last chance with a refurbished Poulan Pro last year -but had doubts about how much refurbishing they had really done. I went to put on the new chain and there was still sawdust and bar oil behind the cover for the drive sprocket. :headbash: At least Princess is good about their return policy - no need for :cuss: After that I decided enough with the junk, and time to stop being cheap and hope that a little more money spent would equal less :pullhair: down the road.

Morning :writing: ramble over... Still raining cats and dogs here, at least the :coffee: hot :thumbsup:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Princess Auto didn’t have any of those refurbished saws when I went looking. Ya, and it makes you wonder what refurbished is. A new chain and that’s it. :giggle: :giggle:
Any way good luck Gerry. I spent $900.00 on the Redmax saw, I bought at a local small engine shop here, boy I didn’t do my homework on that one. And I got took. Like you say princess auto has a good return policy.
I was always for the buy local small shops that have parts and repair, not any more.

There a wet Monday ramble. Could get up to 100 mm of rain today.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Good call on getting something of better quality Gerry! Hope you have some fun cutting wood! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

propane1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:47 am Princess Auto didn’t have any of those refurbished saws when I went looking. Ya, and it makes you wonder what refurbished is. A new chain and that’s it. :giggle: :giggle:
Any way good luck Gerry. I spent $900.00 on the Redmax saw, I bought at a local small engine shop here, boy I didn’t do my homework on that one. And I got took. Like you say princess auto has a good return policy.
I was always for the buy local small shops that have parts and repair, not any more.

There a wet Monday ramble. Could get up to 100 mm of rain today.

Noel
Wow... Noel - 100mm of rain :109: I'll stop :violin: about the 50+ mm we are supposed to get today.

That certainly was a premium price for your Redmax, I asked my neighbours opinion on saws before I bought the Echo - He's been felling trees for a living since I was knee high to a grasshopper (I'm sure he's going to have a good giggle at my new battery one). He uses 3 Echo saws in his day to day logging business, figured if I had any questions it would be handy to have someone familiar with the make close by. Common brands people use around our property seem to be Stihl, Husquvarna and Echo...

Thanks @Eugen Chainsaw review when I finally make some wood chips fly :thumbsup:
Last edited by RoamingGnome on Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Redmax is made by Husqvarna, Gerry. I don’t know if you knew that or not. But It’s suppose to be a top quality professional type saw. :giggle: :giggle: I have also a Redmax G5300 chainsaw, that I bought used about 5 years ago. Works great. Plus I have a Redmax weed whacker. Bought it over 10 years ago and it works great. And bought it from the same fella I bought the dud Redmax GZ4350 from. Any way, just the way it goes, I’ll just suck it up I guess, if it’s gunna happen, it happens.

Hehe. Another ramble. I’m on a roll today. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

propane1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:05 pm Redmax is made by Husqvarna, Gerry. I don’t know if you knew that or not. But It’s suppose to be a top quality professional type saw. :giggle: :giggle: I have also a Redmax G5300 chainsaw, that I bought used about 5 years ago. Works great. Plus I have a Redmax weed whacker. Bought it over 10 years ago and it works great. And bought it from the same fella I bought the dud Redmax GZ4350 from. Any way, just the way it goes, I’ll just suck it up I guess, if it’s gunna happen, it happens.

Hehe. Another ramble. I’m on a roll today. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D
Thanks Noel... learned something new today about Redmax :)
Most of my previous "urban" forestry work could have been done with a sawzall and a pruning blade... so lots of things to learn :thumbsup:

As far as getting a "dud" that's where good customer service from a local shop goes a long way. Big box stores like Home Depot are pretty hit and miss, preferring to let you deal with the manufacturer instead...