Page 1 of 1

Broken points arm. How fix. ?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 pm
by propane1
Ya I know, not a tractor, not a Case, but just something I fooling with because it’s raining out, so not wood work today. Cleaned up all the saws today and got at this old Homelite chainsaw, that needs some fixin.
So, any ideas how I could glue this back together and what to use. It has been glued before by someone.
I’m guessing it’s a 1960’s to 1965’s or somewhere around there XL12 Homelite chainsaw. Not something I’m gunna use full time. Just a neat old thing to have that may work. Just for fun, as my father would say.

Noel

Re: Broken points arm. How fix. ?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:46 pm
by RoamingGnome
That's a good one - challenging for any glue to work against that spring tension. If I couldn't find a replacement I'd be tempted to try a modern epoxy like JB Weld, and after it had set and cured maybe trying to drill a couple of tiny holes through the break and glue some pins across the fracture. Or try copying the bakelite piece and cutting a new one out of similar plastic. it would be a good project if you knew someone with a 3D printer.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:59 pm
by propane1
Thanks Gerry. Ya, gunna take some thinking. A you tube buddy of mine suggested make a new one out of hardwood.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 pm
by Eugen
Dimensions? How thick is it? I have some sort of bakelite I can send you.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:32 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 pm Dimensions? How thick is it? I have some sort of bakelite I can send you.
I’ll measure tomorrow. Thanks Eugen.

Noel

Re: Oklahoma Ingersoll 4118AH SN14172644

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:20 pm
by Jancoe
Drill 2 tiny holes on the end and insert hot sewing needles into. Maybe some glue also.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Re: Oklahoma Ingersoll 4118AH SN14172644

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm
by propane1
Jancoe wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:20 pm Drill 2 tiny holes on the end and insert hot sewing needles into. Maybe some glue also.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Great idea too. Thanks Jancoe

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 pm
by JSinMO
I don’t think I have a better answer than what the guys have already said. I poked around the inter webs and it seems points are hard to come by for that saw but, it looks like they make an ignition chip or module that replaces the points and it’s readily available. Not sure if it’s worth the money for a saw thats just for fun but I thought I’d throw it out there.
Here’s a link for one of them I saw.

https://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/8786.htm

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:08 am
by Harry
JSinMO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 pm I don’t think I have a better answer than what the guys have already said. I poked around the inter webs and it seems points are hard to come by for that saw but, it looks like they make an ignition chip or module that replaces the points and it’s readily available. Not sure if it’s worth the money for a saw thats just for fun but I thought I’d throw it out there.
Here’s a link for one of them I saw.

https://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/8786.htm
Now that is a Great idea! :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:32 pm
by propane1
Well I do have one of those kits to replace the points, but I’d like to fix it, I’m kinda weird that way. I’m gunna look at it again this afternoon.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:33 pm
by propane1
propane1 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:32 pm
Eugen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 pm Dimensions? How thick is it? I have some sort of bakelite I can send you.
I’ll measure tomorrow. Thanks Eugen.

Noel
It’s 5/16” thick, and about 1 1/8” x 7/8”. Rectangle, that would give enough to shape it. But not sure what route I’ll go yet Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:30 am
by propane1
So, I fixed the broken arm. And I have it installed back in the saw. Points are set. But the flywheel is not on yet. So when I get it together and see if it will run, I’ll post pictures of what I did to fix it.

Noel :D

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:43 pm
by propane1
Hehe. It’s alive. Hehe. Put er back together and on the second pull it was going. Hard to say for how long thou. Hehe. Any way. Crazy glue, JB Weld, and a little piece of wood. And there ya go. Fixed.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:57 am
by propane1
So used the fixed up Homelite chainsaw to cut a bit of wood today. Worked great. Kept forgetting to use the manual bar oil pump. :giggle: :giggle: So use to the automatic ones.
Was a little fussy to start and keep going, but after a few minutes it was fine. I’m a little fussy to start and keep going at times too. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:47 pm
by Eugen
Noel, how does it feel in terms of power compared to the others?

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:59 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:47 pm Noel, how does it feel in terms of power compared to the others?
Great question. I’d guess it might be about the same as my GZ4350 Redmax saw. I have no idea what size motor it is, in the Homelite. I never sharpened the chain, but it seemed to cut good. I think it’s the same size file for the chain on the Homelite and GZ4350.
I’ll look up motor sizes.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:13 pm
by propane1
Just a quick search on motor sizes. The Redmax is 43 c and the Homelite is 54 cc. The XL12, the 12 stood for 12 pounds, with out bar, chain and fluids. The Redmax is 9.9 pounds, without the bar, chain and fluids.
I’ll keep looking.
I have a you tube video on mine cutting.

A bit more information I found.
And I’d say that lower compression and combustion process of the 60 year old Homelite as compared to the new designed Redmax is why they feel similar in power, even though the Homelite has the bigger engine. And the Homelite is worn because of age and my Redmax has very little use. But I’d say the Homelite is close to the Redmax in power. A test would be, sharpen both saws. Have two people, and run both saws at the same time, side by side, straight down push, no rocking up and down while cutting the saw log. That would be a good test.

Holy cats and jumpins, that’s quite a chainsaw ramble :D

Noel

:giggle: And the old Homelite worked better than the new Redmax. :giggle:

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:24 pm
by Eugen
Good ramble! I was wondering how it feels when it sinks into the wood. 😁