raccoon damage

JSinMO United States of America

Re: raccoon damage

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 am We don't have a big garden, but did notice something in the previous years as well as this year. We used to have a composting pile at the corner of the lot edging on the little forest area to the West. At least we thought it was a composting pile, but the racoon(s) were coming every evening to eat what food scraps we threw on the pile. Our garden wasn't bothered by any animals. At some point we didn't put scraps anymore on the pile, and guess what, the racoons and squirrels started to get to the garden and do damage. Not saying anyone should do that, but it seems if you feed them separately, they'll leave your garden alone. :D
But if they eat the food scraps you won’t have as much compost to put on the garden, which means you won’t grow as many vegetables, which means you’ll have less food scraps to put in the compost pile… sounds like a vicious cycle! I think those critters are trying to starve you out! :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

True, that compost pile never amounted to much. :109: Seeing that as it was, last year I tried something else. Picked an area to bury all food scraps. So every evening I'd bury a little pail. Well, it was like we had the village summoning of the skunk population. They were digging everything up, and getting in fights with the raccoons. That's were the stinging nettle grew this year. :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

And if you think the coons like your sweet corn, wait till Yogi shows up. :114:
They get in the fields here and keep eating and flattening increasing sized circles in the fields. The guys that run the harvesters say they are like crop circles and the bear will just stay there and eat till they pick. :))
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 am And if you think the coons like your sweet corn, wait till Yogi shows up. :114:
They get in the fields here and keep eating and flattening increasing sized circles in the fields. The guys that run the harvesters say they are like crop circles and the bear will just stay there and eat till they pick. :))
:O
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:30 am
Timj wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 am And if you think the coons like your sweet corn, wait till Yogi shows up. :114:
:O
Do you have any by you?
KIMG0431~2.JPG
KIMG0430~2.JPG
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Yeah, some people reported the odd bear in parts of the village but so far it hasn't come to us that I know. We got two wooded areas near us and visits from coyotes and foxes. We never let the kids alone in the yard though, specially at night! :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:11 am Yeah, some people reported the odd bear in parts of the village but so far it hasn't come to us that I know. We got two wooded areas near us and visits from coyotes and foxes. We never let the kids alone in the yard though, specially at night! :D
We rarely see them, just the aftermath of a visit. I just happened to catch that one eating grass along the road and it didn't bolt so I got to watch him for a while.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

There are brown and black in the area here too . Not a lot but there are sightings from time to time . More of fox and coy-wolf around here . Occasionally fisher or martin sightings
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

It’s ironic that we’re talking about this. They got got 2 of our chickens. We found them this morning. It’s my fault they didn’t get closed up good enough last night. I’ll be sealing up hole and watching for them until we get them.

We have black bears around here, mostly in the Ozarks. I worry more about mountain lions and bob cats around here. They are seen occasionally

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:28 pm It’s ironic that we’re talking about this. They got got 2 of our chickens. We found them this morning. It’s my fault they didn’t get closed up good enough last night. I’ll be sealing up hole and watching for them until we get them.

We have black bears around here, mostly in the Ozarks. I worry more about mountain lions and bob cats around here. They are seen occasionally
I don't worry about the bears. They are just a nuisance at times, same kind of trouble as coons in a bigger package. In the last 20 years we've went from big news if someone saw one too there's more than anyone realizes. We don't have much trouble here, I think our dogs and activity. My dad and his neighbor a couple hundred yards away get their bird feeders ripped down regularly.