raccoon damage

DavidBarkey Canada

raccoon damage

Post by DavidBarkey »

I have been trying to get the electric fence wire around the top of the fence around our garden / bird area . I have wire and high voltage generator , but never doing this before and not planning it into doing the fence . It has taken a bitt to get the right stuff together . Needless to say the :cuss: coons got to the sweet corn before I got the "hot" wire finished . Now it is full on war . I am going to finish it today . Those :cuss: are going to get a real shock when trying to go over the fence tonight . This generator is rated for a mile of horse fence .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: raccoon damage

Post by Eugen »

Dave, I would like to see the footage if you're going to take video of the racoons trying to get over it. :D

Racoons are hard to stop, but a hot fence will for sure. :cool: it really sucks when you work so hard to get some veggies growing and then the pests destroy it :cuss:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I hope you zap everyone of them! I had my wife get a price on a fencer just as you described, 1 mile of horse fence. I haven’t got it yet. I didn’t end up with very good results from my corn patch this year. I got a few ears but the coons got the majority of it. I’m gonna look into some different approaches next year. Let us know how the electric works please.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

95% of the area is live with a"hot" wire . Still have to figure out the gates and stuff . There is enough juice in that line to lite a spark tester like this
image.png
Hope to here some squeals tonight.
need ideas on how to wire the gates .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Dave, did you run solid wire or the tape?
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

You guys must have some really hungry coons. I've never had a fence, just lay a 5 gal pail on it's side and put a radio in it when the corn gets close. Barn is full of coons and the corn is less than 50 yards from it. What to play on the radio? The sports talk show, most boring thing in the world, even puts the coons to sleep.

Bob
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:50 pm You guys must have some really hungry coons. I've never had a fence, just lay a 5 gal pail on it's side and put a radio in it when the corn gets close. Barn is full of coons and the corn is less than 50 yards from it. What to play on the radio? The sports talk show, most boring thing in the world, even puts the coons to sleep.

Bob
Interesting idea. I might have to try that. I never had problems with raccoons before. I put a fence up to keep the deer away and that’s worked. They’ll walk around the unfenced area but haven’t tried to get in. This year the coons showed up and tore the corn up. Pulled the stocks down and shredded the husks to get at the ears. Pretty aggravating. If a radio in a bucket works, I’m in!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:39 pm Dave, did you run solid wire or the tape?
Ran solid wire at the top and grounded the fence .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

myerslawnandgarden wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:50 pm You guys must have some really hungry coons. I've never had a fence, just lay a 5 gal pail on it's side and put a radio in it when the corn gets close. Barn is full of coons and the corn is less than 50 yards from it. What to play on the radio? The sports talk show, most boring thing in the world, even puts the coons to sleep.

Bob
Our neighbour across the road has been doing the radio thing for years . I think they have got use to it and doesn't seam to work any more for them .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We don't have a big garden, but did notice something in the previous years as well as this year. We used to have a composting pile at the corner of the lot edging on the little forest area to the West. At least we thought it was a composting pile, but the racoon(s) were coming every evening to eat what food scraps we threw on the pile. Our garden wasn't bothered by any animals. At some point we didn't put scraps anymore on the pile, and guess what, the racoons and squirrels started to get to the garden and do damage. Not saying anyone should do that, but it seems if you feed them separately, they'll leave your garden alone. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: