Page 1 of 1

Potatoe bug control system I use.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:38 am
by propane1
Guaranteed dead potatoes bugs. No Beepin around. Much faster than squishing. Residential chemicals don’t work. I’ve tryed those and made up my own mixtures, just wasting my time. So the torch is the answer. Just snap the trigger then just as fast let it off. Less than a second of heat does them in. I’ve killed thousands and thousand of potatoe bugs in the last number of years. I had thought of chickens in patch, but don’t know much about the lookin after them, and the town by laws won’t let ya have them any way, I think.
Sit on tractor and do a slow drive while cultivating and killing the bugs. Or just drive the tractor, or walk though. I some times take the hoe with me to do the weeds on the hills. While killing the bugs.
What are your methods. ?

There’s my ramble for today.

Noel

Re: Potatoe bug control system I use.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:34 am
by Eugen
Last year when we planted potatoes I just killed as many as I could, squashed them. I know some people throws them in a soapy water solution, they die in that. :hm:

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:23 am
by propane1
Well I don’t know the rate at which they come in your area Eugen, but around here, easily kill 300 to 500 per day.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:56 am
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:23 am Well I don’t know the rate at which they come in your area Eugen, but around here, easily kill 300 to 500 per day.

Noel
Not so many here. But then again, we had a family of skunks that dug grubs out of the garden and surrounding area every night! :D cute little buggers!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:52 pm
by propane1
So starting to get potatoe bugs now. But only about a dozen or less so far. This is at my sons place. But I have two gardens there. About 500’ apart. One has bugs and the other doesn't. :106: :hm:
The little patch of potatoes beside my step at home does not have any potatoe bugs yet. :please: :phew:

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:20 pm
by Eugen
Get the torch out Noel. Hopefully the bugs will not go to the other gardens!

I planted a few potatoes very late, so maybe the bugs go away to someone else by the time my plants are out. :rofl:

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:40 pm
by DavidBarkey
Not as many as usual around here so far . I thing weather and flipping the garden multi able times and let our birds chow down has helped .

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:46 pm
by Toolslinger
It's gotta be 15 years since we put in potatoes... Yet, I guarantee if I put them in again those bloody bugs would get them in no time. Where they were hanging out in the interim nobody would be able to tell me, but I flat out guarantee they would be present...

Not that it would matter, the deer would dig out the seed potatoes before they even got a chance...

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:11 pm
by propane1
Toolslinger wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:46 pm It's gotta be 15 years since we put in potatoes... Yet, I guarantee if I put them in again those bloody bugs would get them in no time. Where they were hanging out in the interim nobody would be able to tell me, but I flat out guarantee they would be present...

Not that it would matter, the deer would dig out the seed potatoes before they even got a chance...
Yep your right toolslinger about the potato bug. They are in the ground like a June bug. They fly like a June bug. They have some sort of radar to find the plants. I took a bug off a plant last year and set it on the ground between the rows. Rows 4’ apart. It did less than two circles and headed right back to the plant it came from. But, it didn’t make it back. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:20 pm Get the torch out Noel. Hopefully the bugs will not go to the other gardens!

I planted a few potatoes very late, so maybe the bugs go away to someone else by the time my plants are out. :rofl:
I tried that last year Eugen. Planting late. Sorry to say, but it doesn’t work.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm
by propane1
Found two leaves with eggs and one plant covered in babies. And 31 adult bugs.
So there it starts. For you guys growing potatoes, lucky you, if you don’t have any potatoe bugs. I may give it up next year. I’ve killed so many 1000’s of bugs in the last number of many years, you wouldn’t think there’d be any left. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 pm
by Eugen
That's crazy!! As though weeds are not enough to deal with!

I wish instead of developing GMO plants resistant to bugs they made GMO bugs that like to eat just weeds, not the potatoes :D

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 pm That's crazy!! As though weeds are not enough to deal with!

I wish instead of developing GMO plants resistant to bugs they made GMO bugs that like to eat just weeds, not the potatoes :D
Great idea Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm
by JSinMO
Well at least you have a pest control plan in place, as long as the torch has fuel. My potatoes didn’t make it this year. Not sure why, first time I’ve had that they didn’t come up.
Hopefully you can keep the bugs in check and dig up some nice spuds!

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
Try this guys . I have used it on cabbage and worked , was going to try on potatoes this year but no need so far . Diatomaceous Earth. I get it from the feed store way cheaper for big bag than plant stores . Using a small broad cast speader in the morning when the dew is on the leaves so it will stick . Dust the plants .
quote. Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process. It remains effective as long as it is kept dry and undisturbed.
quote.
PS. were a dust mask when broadcasting .

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:20 am
by propane1
Try it Dave. Don’t work.

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:20 am Try it Dave. Don’t work.

Noel
Good to know ,I will stick to using it on cabbage .

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:26 am
by propane1
10 bugs today. And when you burn the eggs on the bottom of the leaves, it sounds like,
Snap, Crackle, Pop . :giggle: :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am
by propane1
28 bugs today, and some more, Snap, Crackle, Pop.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:41 am
by DavidBarkey
found some babies on 3 of our plants , skushy skushy Have to check again tomorrow .

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:27 pm
by propane1
You’ve got at least two adult bugs lurking in the plants somewhere Dave. Doing you know what :D

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:27 pm You’ve got at least two adult bugs lurking in the plants somewhere Dave. Doing you know what :D

Noel
Ya , that is the little mans mission tommorrow . ATER bugs , potATER and tomATER bugs .

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:07 am
by propane1
11 bugs today in the two potatoe patches at my sons place.
Next year things will be different.

Noel

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 am
by Eugen
Kill kill! :109:

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:24 pm
by propane1
So the baby bugs are getting worse, which is what I expected, about 50 or so today.
And of course, I forgot to take the bug spray. Jumpins anyway. !!!!! Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:56 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:24 pm So the baby bugs are getting worse, which is what I expected, about 50 or so today.
And of course, I forgot to take the bug spray. Jumpins anyway. !!!!! Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Noel
Same here . Did the squishy thing and then the DE. powder the other day . Ducks and chickens are more interested in the Japp Beatles these days .
Started using this stuff for cabbages and tomatoes .
image.png
results are promissing so far , but to soon to tell forsure .

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:56 pm
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:24 pm So the baby bugs are getting worse, which is what I expected, about 50 or so today.

Noel
Same here . Did the squishy thing and then the DE. powder the other day . Ducks and chickens are more interested in the Japp Beatles these days .
image.png
Where did you get that Dave. ?

Noel

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:59 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:56 pm

Noel
image.png
Where did you get that Dave. ?

Noel
We got it from our local garden centre . But see it offered at all the hardware stores , with a garden centre around here, CTC, ect. plus King Jeffery has it too.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:57 am
by propane1
Well I been lazy looking after the bugs. Been 4 day since I checked them. Still have not put any spray or soapy water on them yet ! Any way. Lazy I guess. A couple of adults and about 50 babies. Bugs are nowhere near as bad as last year.
First row is red Norland potatoes. Might pull a plant and see if there’s a feed.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:14 pm
by Eugen
That's good news Noel! I didn't see any bugs at all on my potato plants either. And now the Japanese beetle is gone from the Elderberry bush too. We managed to make cider a couple of times from the Elderberry flowers! Very tasty! :drink:

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:15 pm
by Eugen
Spoke too soon, Japanese beetles on the potato plants :pullhair:

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:07 pm
by propane1
Woo hoo. Fresh potatoes today. And red ones at that. One plant.

Fair amount of bugs today. But not as bad as yesterday. Did some weed tilling today also.

So not really sure on the date of when I ate my last potatoes grown from last year. But I’m guessin about 2 months since last years to this years today.

Noel

Oh. And had a couple dozen raspberries for a nice snack.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:46 pm
by JSinMO
That is one clean potato patch! We’ll done!

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:51 pm
by propane1
So gunna check the bugs tomorrow or Friday at sons place.
But today I needed a few potatoes for supper. So the ones I planted at my house, that never had any bugs, I figured should be ready. Small I figured, but ready.
So I dug one, and got a nice patch of potatoes. Just a good size. Should not be any hollow heart in these. Russet potatoes are bad for that, when they get real big.
And we’ve been getting some beets, yum, carrots and a few green and yellow beans in the last few days. Lettuce is done, I’d say. Lots of good snacks from the lettuce. Great having it right by the door.

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:05 pm
by propane1
It was a good supper. Vegetables were great.

Noel

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:38 pm
by propane1
Supper tonite. Not sure what type of meat yet. But potatoes and beets from our garden. Green and yellow beans from sister-in-laws garden.

Noel :69: :) :122: :D

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:55 pm
by propane1
Supper. Some good. Slow roasted blade roast.

Noel

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:05 pm
by Eugen
Looks yummy Noel! If possible, one day I'll use your idea of planting some food next to the house, if :wife: says ok :)

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 pm
by propane1
So. Still a few potatoe bugs around. So killed them today. All the row of red potatoes are dug out over the last while. Hoping for some potatoe salad from my sister in law. Had some carrots, tomatoes, yellow beans and snow peas from her garden the other day. Some tasty right out of the garden to snack on while your doing work. And she gave me beets to take home.
Dug up 20’ row, with a shovel, of blue potatoes to day. Got 12 lbs. A lot of them bug into them and chewin on them. In the same garden I had superiors there last year. So a few of those left in the ground grew. And some mixed right in with the blues. So as you can see. The blues bug ridden, and the superiors not. And superiors come out nice and clean when dug. So,,,,, no more blue potatoes ever again. And I’ve said that for a number of years now. But keep trying them. Well that’s it. No more planting those. Oh, and got 4 lbs of superiors. Some people don’t like superiors , but I do like them. There downfall. Is, they don’t store well.
To hot to store potatoes yet. But I’d like to get the rest out soon. 6 thirty foot rows to go. Not sure how that will go. Had trouble last year digging them. Not young anymore.
So the blue potatoes I got, I will give away. They just need to be peeled if needed and bad parts cut off. Rest of the potatoe would be good.
Got to start on the wood too. So lots to do yet. And because tomorrow is sept first, That means only two months of reasonable weather left before hibrrrnation.

There now, a vegetable and things to do ramble.

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:17 pm
by JSinMO
Good ramble! Here’s how I get potato’s out of the ground.
4DB1F91F-6910-432D-96B1-1B7EE19B5547.jpeg
. Turn the row over and pick them up. Beats the heck out of shoveling!

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:24 pm
by propane1
Jumpins. That’s just what I need. And I’ve know that for a number of years. If I could find one for my Ferguson tractor , that would be the ticket. I have used my 10” brinley plow one my garden tractor, but it’s not wide enough. A 16” one would suit me good. What size is that one JSinMO ?

Noel

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 pm
by JSinMO
I believe it’s a 14”, if I remember correctly. It does work well. You might be able to use your Ferguson with your 2 bottom plow. I’ve never tried it, but what if you set your 3 point arms in such a way that the front plow turns the row over and you back plow rides high, just skimming the ground? Might have to play with you depth control to hold the right depth. Don’t know for sure if it would work, but it might be fun to find out!

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:33 am
by Toolslinger
Propane57 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 pm To hot to store potatoes yet. But I’d like to get the rest out soon. 6 thirty foot rows to go. Not sure how that will go. Had trouble last year digging them. Not young anymore.
You need a little more tractor, and one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkn4Na2w9o

Mine is going up on the block later in the month at the estate sale along with the Iron Age 2 row potato planter... As much as I love fresh taters, it's cheaper to buy potatoes at the store than plant enough to get enough yield to get through... Used to do well enough that we could just add fertilizer, and pull seed from the previous harvest, but not for many years... Damn deer would go right down the rows, and dig out the seed if it was a dry year, and eat the tops if it wasn't that dry. I think my father enjoyed the process more than the result, so it was worth the cost to him.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:59 am
by propane1
Ya thats a slick digger for sure. Always wanted one like that. My old Ferguson could run it. And yes just as easy and cheaper to buy them. I know potatoe producers here and could easily just buy a 50 lb bag from them for 20 buck or less. But I still sorta like doing it. And if I don’t do it, no sense having all the garden tractors and tools.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:04 am
by propane1
JSinMO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 pm I believe it’s a 14”, if I remember correctly. It does work well. You might be able to use your Ferguson with your 2 bottom plow. I’ve never tried it, but what if you set your 3 point arms in such a way that the front plow turns the row over and you back plow rides high, just skimming the ground? Might have to play with you depth control to hold the right depth. Don’t know for sure if it would work, but it might be fun to find out!
I did that one year. And again it sorta worked. But my plows are only 10”. So can’t get the whole row. 14” plow would work for sure.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 am
by DavidBarkey
image.png
I use a home made vertion of this on my my 3pt. sleeve hitch addapter. Saves a lot of digging when brigging in the crop . still have to sift through the soil .
Not as nice looking as that little Farmal but works .

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:57 am
by propane1
I’ve seen those before Dave. They work alright, on any of the you tube videos I seen.

Noel

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:42 pm
by Gordy
Toolslinger wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:33 am
Propane57 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 pm To hot to store potatoes yet. But I’d like to get the rest out soon. 6 thirty foot rows to go. Not sure how that will go. Had trouble last year digging them. Not young anymore.
You need a little more tractor, and one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkn4Na2w9o

Mine is going up on the block later in the month at the estate sale along with the Iron Age 2 row potato planter... As much as I love fresh taters, it's cheaper to buy potatoes at the store than plant enough to get enough yield to get through... Used to do well enough that we could just add fertilizer, and pull seed from the previous harvest, but not for many years... Damn deer would go right down the rows, and dig out the seed if it was a dry year, and eat the tops if it wasn't that dry. I think my father enjoyed the process more than the result, so it was worth the cost to him.
Watched that and found another with a Russian home tinkerer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_7b2jZLcc

To get a rough idea of what he is saying click on CC then click on settings (that gear looking icon) and select translate.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:56 am
by DavidBarkey
@Gordy Small scale eastern European farmers is where I got a lot of ideas for my equipment .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:37 am
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:56 am @Gordy Small scale eastern European farmers is where I got a lot of ideas for my equipment .
He uses push arms rocking back and forth leading to some sort of ratcheting mechanism to create rotary motion. Anybody know what those are ??? I watched his other vids but did not find any info. Thou he did stick his hand in the X conveyor to show it had limited power as to NOT break any thing if it jamaed up.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:33 am
by Toolslinger
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 am image.png
I've got a horse drawn version of that. We occasionally used that rather than getting out the bigger machine when we started going smaller. Apart from the crappy job of walking behind it while my father dragged me behind the 8N, it did a pretty good job. It even has a lobbed wheel under it that shakes the grating a little while moving to knock more dirt off the taters.

That one is probably going on the block too, unless I decide I want some more yard art...

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:33 am
by propane1
Sooooo, all the Beepin potatoes are dug out. Sister in law helped today. Thank you know who.
Less than 100 lbs. Some plants had no potatoes. Some had one big one. And a few were sorts the normal amount.
Sure not like a number of years ago when I had 1200 lbs in a season.
Just can’t do that any more. :124:

Noel.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:33 am Sooooo, all the Beepin potatoes are dug out. Sister in law helped today. Thank you know who.
Less than 100 lbs. Some plants had no potatoes. Some had one big one. And a few were sorts the normal amount.
Sure not like a number of years ago when I had 1200 lbs in a season.
Just can’t do that any more. :124:

Noel.
Going down from 1200 lbs to 100 is a big difference. What could have happened? Last year we had one potato per plant. No ideala why, the year before plenty of potatoes. :114:

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 pm
by propane1
Main reason is, I didn’t plant near as much as years ago Eugen. But what I planted this year, I figured I’d git about 200 plus lbs. Oh well. I’ll be buying potatoes this year. We might get to first of February with what I got. So the 100 lbs or less was divided in half between my self and sister in law. I use to give away many lbs of potatoes to friends and some family. Not this year.

Noel