Potatoe bug control system I use.

propane1 Canada

Re: Potatoe bug control system I use.

Post by propane1 »

Jumpins. That’s just what I need. And I’ve know that for a number of years. If I could find one for my Ferguson tractor , that would be the ticket. I have used my 10” brinley plow one my garden tractor, but it’s not wide enough. A 16” one would suit me good. What size is that one JSinMO ?

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I believe it’s a 14”, if I remember correctly. It does work well. You might be able to use your Ferguson with your 2 bottom plow. I’ve never tried it, but what if you set your 3 point arms in such a way that the front plow turns the row over and you back plow rides high, just skimming the ground? Might have to play with you depth control to hold the right depth. Don’t know for sure if it would work, but it might be fun to find out!
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 pm To hot to store potatoes yet. But I’d like to get the rest out soon. 6 thirty foot rows to go. Not sure how that will go. Had trouble last year digging them. Not young anymore.
You need a little more tractor, and one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkn4Na2w9o

Mine is going up on the block later in the month at the estate sale along with the Iron Age 2 row potato planter... As much as I love fresh taters, it's cheaper to buy potatoes at the store than plant enough to get enough yield to get through... Used to do well enough that we could just add fertilizer, and pull seed from the previous harvest, but not for many years... Damn deer would go right down the rows, and dig out the seed if it was a dry year, and eat the tops if it wasn't that dry. I think my father enjoyed the process more than the result, so it was worth the cost to him.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ya thats a slick digger for sure. Always wanted one like that. My old Ferguson could run it. And yes just as easy and cheaper to buy them. I know potatoe producers here and could easily just buy a 50 lb bag from them for 20 buck or less. But I still sorta like doing it. And if I don’t do it, no sense having all the garden tractors and tools.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 pm I believe it’s a 14”, if I remember correctly. It does work well. You might be able to use your Ferguson with your 2 bottom plow. I’ve never tried it, but what if you set your 3 point arms in such a way that the front plow turns the row over and you back plow rides high, just skimming the ground? Might have to play with you depth control to hold the right depth. Don’t know for sure if it would work, but it might be fun to find out!
I did that one year. And again it sorta worked. But my plows are only 10”. So can’t get the whole row. 14” plow would work for sure.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

image.png
I use a home made vertion of this on my my 3pt. sleeve hitch addapter. Saves a lot of digging when brigging in the crop . still have to sift through the soil .
Not as nice looking as that little Farmal but works .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ve seen those before Dave. They work alright, on any of the you tube videos I seen.

Noel
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Toolslinger wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:33 am
Propane57 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:47 pm To hot to store potatoes yet. But I’d like to get the rest out soon. 6 thirty foot rows to go. Not sure how that will go. Had trouble last year digging them. Not young anymore.
You need a little more tractor, and one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkn4Na2w9o

Mine is going up on the block later in the month at the estate sale along with the Iron Age 2 row potato planter... As much as I love fresh taters, it's cheaper to buy potatoes at the store than plant enough to get enough yield to get through... Used to do well enough that we could just add fertilizer, and pull seed from the previous harvest, but not for many years... Damn deer would go right down the rows, and dig out the seed if it was a dry year, and eat the tops if it wasn't that dry. I think my father enjoyed the process more than the result, so it was worth the cost to him.
Watched that and found another with a Russian home tinkerer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_7b2jZLcc

To get a rough idea of what he is saying click on CC then click on settings (that gear looking icon) and select translate.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Gordy Small scale eastern European farmers is where I got a lot of ideas for my equipment .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:56 am @Gordy Small scale eastern European farmers is where I got a lot of ideas for my equipment .
He uses push arms rocking back and forth leading to some sort of ratcheting mechanism to create rotary motion. Anybody know what those are ??? I watched his other vids but did not find any info. Thou he did stick his hand in the X conveyor to show it had limited power as to NOT break any thing if it jamaed up.

:cheers:
Gordy