Free composted manure

Eugen Canada

Free composted manure

Post by Eugen »

I'm afraid this is my Monday rant. A few days ago there was an ad on FB marketplace for composted manure. It had a picture of a steaming pile of you know what, and the people advertising seemed to have a farm with a number of horses. The ad said something like "you can get as much as you want, we can load it up with the tractor." So, being always on the lookout for manure to amend our garden soil, even paid, the fact that this was only 18 minutes away from us was a big plus. I contacted the person and we agreed on Saturday. Hooked up the trailer and went with the boys and wife, because the children do enjoy even the littlest glimpse at a horse, so we figured why the manure gets loaded they can look on and this becomes a little trip for the family.

We arrived there, nice farm in Coldwater, quite a few horses, a donkey, some chicken, the children enjoyed seeing that. A young couple owning the place, the man was digging something when we arrived, with a compact Kubota that was quite struggling with that hoe, I have to say. About 30 feet away there was the pile of "composted manure." The guy proceeded to bring four bucket fulls and put them on my trailer, that was as much as the trailer could take. He asked me if it's for the garden and I said yes, we have a small veggie garden that could really use some soil improvement. He said this is good stuff, and it's from last year. I asked him why he's not spreading it on the field, as I know that most farmers around here don't get rid of their manure, but spread it on their fields. He said this is the manure from over the winter and won't be bothered to spread it. So I thought I'll bring a little present next time, like a nice bottle of wine or chocolates or something like that.

I haul it home, we happy that kids got a look at the horses, and got some manure for the garden. Well, then I started to shovel it onto a corner of the garden, to be spread at a later time. What they said was composted manure, ended up being unscreened fill, full of stones, one as large as 14x12 inches, and with what looked some fresh manure. Could it be what the guy was digging with his hoe? it was a lot of work to unload that off the trailer, as it's heavy soil and stones. And not really good for the garden.

I don't think I had much faith left in humanity, but whatever was left is in danger of disappearing. Why would people who are obviously winning in the lottery of life, with a nice farm, horses, newish looking tractors and trucks, resort to a scheme like this? :112:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Re: Free composted manure

Post by propane1 »

Sadly Eugen, that’s the way it is. DTA, don’t trust anybody. Sadly it’s true.

Maybe he didn’t know any different. Maybe. :106:

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I’m sorry you had that experience. Things like that have happened to us as well. Unfortunately we have become very cautious when dealing with people. It seems to me people in general have become more self centered and uncaring as time goes on. It’s possible they got that farm because they are unscrupulous. Its also possible that they are not a successful as they seem. There are a lot of folks out there that seem to be doing great, but in reality they are in debt up to there eyeballs and are always on the verge of bankruptcy.

All we can do is try to be good people and continue to try to do the right thing. Don’t lose you faith in humanity yet, there are still good people out there, they are just harder to find!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Noel, I don't know about not trusting everybody, it's a hard life to be paranoid all the time. I am cautious when dealing with people, at first. Didn't seem to me like a very risky business LOL I mean, they offered some free manure.

About him not knowing better, can it be possible? The pile wasn't that big, maybe as big as a half pickup truck. So, as a farmer, when you clean the horse stall, you push the dung out with some loader type device right? The stall was about 20 feet away from the pile. Maybe he forgot he put unscreened fill in that pile, and mixed it up with manure? Yeah, maybe, but not very likely.

Anyway, I got some fill to cover the holes my 644 makes around the yard :rofl: in the end it is not the worst that can happen to anyone.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO I am with you on this, I would find life to very yucky to not have any trust at all. A little more caution would help me, for sure. Thanks for listening guys! Well, at least I have some more work for the 644.

Also, I need to address the issue of the 644 not charging the battery. I will create a new thread for that.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Sounds like you got a load of s**t instead of a load of manure. :O at least you didn't pay for it. :(
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: