Your opinions please

propane1 Canada

Your opinions please

Post by propane1 »

In an effort to save a little bit of gas to get my garden ready for planting potatoes with in the next week or so, I have come up with an idea.
I plant my potatoe rows 5.5 feet apart, center to center. That gives me enough room to take a garden tractor and cultivators or tandem disk through to do the weeding. Garden is about 50’ long by 30’ side. So, I figure I can get four 50’ rows in this space. This will give me room for the weeding in between the rows and edges of the grass to the row. So the gas saving idea is, I will only till the 4 rows where I will plant potatoes. Tiller is 3’ wide. So that means I will till 12’ instead of 30’.
What do you all think ?

Friday afternoon ramble. :D

Noel
Timj United States of America

Re: Your opinions please

Post by Timj »

How bad are the weeds, could you get away with closer rows and just hand hoe it? Or would you get overran? :fight:
Closer rows would let you plant more, and the way things are going you may need more tatars. :afraid:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Weeds not to bad in this garden Tim, and just to hard to dig ten or so 50' foot rows with a shovel. So I have to cut back on planting to many potatoes. To much for this old fella. :D

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:57 am In an effort to save a little bit of gas to get my garden ready for planting potatoes with in the next week or so, I have come up with an idea.
I plant my potatoe rows 5.5 feet apart, center to center. That gives me enough room to take a garden tractor and cultivators or tandem disk through to do the weeding. Garden is about 50’ long by 30’ side. So, I figure I can get four 50’ rows in this space. This will give me room for the weeding in between the rows and edges of the grass to the row. So the gas saving idea is, I will only till the 4 rows where I will plant potatoes. Tiller is 3’ wide. So that means I will till 12’ instead of 30’.
What do you all think ?

Noel
oh wow!!! 5.5 ft between rows. Noel, sure, if you have the land! We have a proverb where I come from, "he who has teeth can chew on bones" :rofl:

I've been thinking of getting a walk behind tiller so I can deal with the weeds in between the 1.5 ft apart rows.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm
Propane57 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:57 am In an effort to save a little bit of gas to get my garden ready for planting potatoes with in the next week or so, I have come up with an idea.
What do you all think ?

Noel
oh wow!!! 5.5 ft between rows. Noel, sure, if you have the land! We have a proverb where I come from, "he who has teeth can chew on bones" :rofl:

I've been thinking of getting a walk behind tiller so I can deal with the weeds in between the 1.5 ft apart rows.

You have a high crop tractor there Eugen. Case 444. 11 inch’s of ground clearance. Put a set of cultivators or scufflers on it. Drive over the rows. And do your weeding.

Or if you can get an electric cord to the garden, get an electric plug in tiller. Canadian tire had them on sale. $70.00 off. 14” wide. I got one. Works good. I got it for doing around the flower plants at the front of the house. Always full of weeds, so this will make it easier to keep up with. :wife: won’t do it, soooo I got to. :45:

Sorry. Not on sale here now. But might be in your neck of the woods.

Noel
Attachments
8E9F8368-197A-40EC-9698-EF7665A58C3D.png
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

What do you all think ?

Noel
Our rows / hills are 48" c/c leaving 24 " between for weeding / walking. I have a 21" rear tine W/B with packer roller for weeding between the rows . For a total of 32 rows
If that gives you any idea. That is what work well for us here .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder