Page 1 of 1

Potatoe patch planted.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 pm
by propane1
There now. All planted. And no help from the, you know who, :wife:. Potatoes in on right side of step. Lettuce planted both sides of step. Carrots on the right side of window well and in front of it. Beets left front of window well. Green and yellow beans planted at the back on each side of the window well.

Noel

Re: Potatoe patch planted.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:28 pm
by Eugen
Look at that red soil!!! Noel, I hope one day to do something like you do around the house. I really like the idea of planting a few veggies around the house. :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:24 pm
by propane1
Easy picking for lettuce on sandwich’s. And some of the carrots by the foundation I will leave until Xmas day, then dig them for Xmas dinner.

Noel

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:33 pm
by Timj
Now there's a useful flower bed. Wish we could do that but can't, the deer would eat it all.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:12 pm
by DavidBarkey
Timj wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:33 pm Now there's a useful flower bed. Wish we could do that but can't, the deer would eat it all.
Chives have nice flowers too. We have it in our front flower garden along with mint.

Dave

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm
by propane1
Use to have chives in this garden years ago.

Noel

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:02 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm Use to have chives in this garden years ago.

Noel
The garlic chive is great on Baked Potatoes with sour cream . just saying .

Dave

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:02 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm Use to have chives in this garden years ago.

Noel
The garlic chive is great on Baked Potatoes with sour cream . just saying .

Dave

Baked potatoes. Yummm. But with butter and bacon bits. The garlic chives I could maybe handle. BUT, the sour cream, :sick: :barf: :114:

Noel

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:26 pm
by Gordy
Timj wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:33 pm Now there's a useful flower bed. Wish we could do that but can't, the deer would eat it all.
I have had some success with a product called "Liquid Fence", but the deer seemed to get used to it. Better luck with "Irish Spring" bar soap. Just walk around the garden with the soap and a vegetable peeler, leaving soap peelings as you walk. Dew and rain will break the soap down, so you need to keep an eye on it and reaply as necessary. I get 3 to 4 weeks generally.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:38 am
by propane1
Wendy’s makes a good baked potato, bacon bits and cheese. And good chilli. The only two things I buy there. Maybe once every three years, I might get that.

Noel

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:42 am
by propane1
Another thing about my little garden is. You really don’t need a tractor to do this. No fuel wasted. :thumbsup: But no seat time either. :112:

Noel

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:45 am
by Timj
Gordy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:26 pm
I have had some success with a product called "Liquid Fence", but the deer seemed to get used to it. Better luck with "Irish Spring" bar soap. Just walk around the garden with the soap and a vegetable peeler, leaving soap peelings as you walk. Dew and rain will break the soap down, so you need to keep an eye on it and reaply as necessary. I get 3 to 4 weeks generally.

:cheers:
Gordy
We use to have good success with the liquid fence. I don't know if they just got use to it or something changed in it. Now I think they think it's salad dressing. :)) The dogs are getting old and don't chase them anymore so the deer stand their ground and laugh at them.

The :wife: did a lot of research and planted stuff that deer don't like or won't eat. I guess they didn't read the book. Some things that they don't like they still take a bite out of and spit the piece out. :hm:
They have a whole field of clover, alfalfa, grass mix behind us but her stuff is better. I guess I'm going to have to eat more venison but their is too many. :rofl: were sitting around the fire last weekend and 14 came before dark. :78:

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:28 am
by Gordy
We only see the bucks a couple times a summer, they seem to hand out in the big woods across the road. But for years we have had 3 does, 1 with 1 fawn, 1 with twins, and 1 with triplets.

A few years ago the :wife: was sitting in bed with her laptop and notice movement out of the corner of her eye. She looked at the open window and a doe raised her head and looked in the window while munching on some hosta leaves, this when on for about 10 minutes. Last summer :wife: was complaining about having to refill the bird bath so often, the next day I found out why when I saw a doe standing at the bird bath drinking :O And of coarse the little ones copy mom ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04 pm
by propane1
Jumpins. A few beans coming up. Hope fully what ever bug it is that comes along and chews the plant off at ground level, doesn’t come along. And you can see a blue potatoe coming up by the telephone cable. No blues planted there last year or the year before.

Noel.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 am
by propane1
Beans and the one potatoe plant are coming along nicely. And some lettuce showing through.

Noel

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:37 pm
by propane1
So these potatoes were planted on the 12 of May. Have four up through the ground now. So about 2 1/2 weeks or less. To pop thru. Seen one last Friday or Saturday , but was not sure if potatoe or weed at that point. I’m sure now.
Potatoe bugs will start soon. Beepin things.

Noel

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:08 am
by DavidBarkey
@Propane57 Noel
Time to start squishin bugs and feeding the ducks . When the plants are big enough we will let the chickens and ducks roam the corn , potatoes and onions for bug control .

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:48 am
by Eugen
That's nice Noel! I wish we had planted some potatoes too. :109:

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:48 am That's nice Noel! I wish we had planted some potatoes too. :109:
We planted 4 rows , I am sure we will have extras.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:48 am That's nice Noel! I wish we had planted some potatoes too. :109:
Still time Eugen to plant potatoes. :D

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 am
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm
How many pounds do you figure you’ll get Dave ? How long are the rows.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:29 am
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm
How many pounds do you figure you’ll get Dave ? How long are the rows.

Noel
Rows are a little shorter this year . 50' x 4 . Planted a foot apart . Average a pound a plant or more . So at least 200 lbs .
We eat fresh picked smalls as soon as are ready in summer and continue into fall when we harvest . Keep some for next years seed , can some , some in cold room and give away rest to family and friends . Hope to get a garden cart made for the front to sell off some of the excess as it is ready . Not sure how it will work as we are on a side road and have a lot of dump truck traffic during the day .

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am
by propane1
They say around here the yellow beans are gunna be $10.00 per pound here this year. I don’t know about that, but they were expensive last year.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:58 am
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am They say around here the yellow beans are gunna be $10.00 per pound here this year. I don’t know about that, but they were expensive last year.

Noel
That's more than cherries right now which are 7$ per pound! :D

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:22 pm
by DavidBarkey
Propane57 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am They say around here the yellow beans are gunna be $10.00 per pound here this year. I don’t know about that, but they were expensive last year.

Noel
There a 5 cent walk to the cold room for home canned , or 7 cent walk to the garden for fresh when they come in . :giggle: around here .

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:21 am
by propane1
Stuff is growin in my wittle gardens. Potatoes that I didn’t plant are doin good. !

Over at my sons place, some potatoes are coming up in the patch I planted to grass.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:59 pm
by propane1
Potatoes are growin. Inch a day I’d say.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm
by Eugen
Very satisfying to see them growing! :)

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:12 pm
by propane1
Jumpins. All the rain we’ve been getting the potatoes going. If you look at the dates of the pictures, it’s amazing the difference.
I can see any kind of sandwich coming up soon with fresh lettuce on top. Yummie.

Noel

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:30 pm
by JSinMO
There coming right along. Your garden patch looks good. I planted mine way late, beginning the wonder if there going to come up. I got a few growing that I missed and left in the ground last year but that’s it.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am
by propane1
So for dinner today I had a ham and cheese sandwich, with lettuce, that I’m growing beside my step. Some good.
:D

Noel

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:39 am
by Eugen
Very nice! I miss growing lettuce too. We did grow it two years ago and it lasted up until we had frost. :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:51 pm
by JSinMO
Looks good! Sure is nice to walk out the door and pick a few things for dinner!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:26 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:51 pm Looks good! Sure is nice to walk out the door and pick a few things for dinner!
Ya I got to walk allll the way out to my back yard . :phew: :giggle:

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:22 am
by propane1
Things are growing. No potatoe bugs here,, yet. Getting about ten bugs or so every second day at one of the potatoe patches at my sons place. Should be a million baby bugs there within a week or so.
Tuna salad sandwiches, with lettuce, for supper tonite. Along with some left over chowder.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:04 pm
by DavidBarkey
So far so good with potato bugs not seen any since the first few I killed off . Hopefully flipping the garden and letting the birds feast is working .

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:27 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:04 pm So far so good with potato bugs not seen any since the first few I killed off . Hopefully flipping the garden and letting the birds feast is working .
Plus the eggs from Dave's chicken have the best taste! Has to be the food they find in the garden too! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm
by thebuildist
Looking great! 'Makes me want to try that myself!

Bob