potatoes harvested

DavidBarkey Canada

potatoes harvested

Post by DavidBarkey »

4x50' rows less 10' allready had for dinners . yealded 6 milk crated full of taters. Now to season them before storage . Arms are so tired can hardly type.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Re: potatoes harvested

Post by propane1 »

Jumpins. Great haul Dave.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That's great Dave! What do you do to store them?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I guess I’m not Dave. :giggle: But I’m going to say how I store mine. I have a wooden tool box that my dad had in the back of his 1961 GMC truck that he used for putting stuff in. Any way, its in my garage. I have some dirt in the bottom of it and I store the potatoes and a few beets in at times. It has a cover which I close. Never had a potato go bad. Store in sept and potatoes still good the next May.
Sorry about butting in, but I thought I’d mention it.

Noel :D
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:25 pm That's great Dave! What do you do to store them?
We lay them out on a tarp in garage for a week . Allow the skins to harden (season) sort through get rid of damaged one , sort sizes , and down to the cold room . Next month the largest one will be cut into fries and frozen . Some will be canned . Some will be given away for Xmas dinners .
If I can find a place that still has Nitrogen for tires I will fill a bucket with the seed potatoes and have it filled with Nitrogen to keep the seeds from sprouting or spoiling .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:10 am I guess I’m not Dave. :giggle: But I’m going to say how I store mine. I have a wooden tool box that my dad had in the back of his 1961 GMC truck that he used for putting stuff in. Any way, its in my garage. I have some dirt in the bottom of it and I store the potatoes and a few beets in at times. It has a cover which I close. Never had a potato go bad. Store in sept and potatoes still good the next May.
Sorry about butting in, but I thought I’d mention it.

Noel :D
We tried storing in our garage , but the temp swings to much and they froze and thawed , then go bad . We tried the old methods of in sand with our carrots ,onion and potatoes ect. but we would only get half the winter . Our cold room is in the basement and is cool , but not cold or ventilated yet. That was suppose to happen last fall . Lack of ventilation I think is out biggest problem from what I read .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

My garage is allways at or above 45 F. So no freezing troubles.

Noel