a few more tomatoes

DavidBarkey Canada

a few more tomatoes

Post by DavidBarkey »

We picked a few more tomatoes to process into sauces and juice . Not much this time . Only 8 milk cartons and 10 peach baskets full this time . Over ripe went to the birds . The chickens are now in a tomato coma . :rofl: Tuesday the outlaws are up to help process again . There is still enough still out there not ripe for a third run in a couple weeks again .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: a few more tomatoes

Post by Eugen »

Go Dave, go!

:bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

We didn't get a lot of tomatoes this year, but the plants have been doing well, in spite of the neglect they've been subjected to. We planted a mix of varieties: from Costco I got two packs of 2x Beefsteak, 2x Early girl, 2x Cherry. I really only wanted the beefsteak, but they were sold in a pack. Then some people were selling on the side of the road some plants and I got some. They were purple cherokee and one other type I don't remember. Out of all these, the beefsteak are to me the tastiest, period!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:27 pm We didn't get a lot of tomatoes this year, but the plants have been doing well, in spite of the neglect they've been subjected to. We planted a mix of varieties: from Costco I got two packs of 2x Beefsteak, 2x Early girl, 2x Cherry. I really only wanted the beefsteak, but they were sold in a pack. Then some people were selling on the side of the road some plants and I got some. They were purple cherokee and one other type I don't remember. Out of all these, the beefsteak are to me the tastiest, period!
We grow different kinds for different reasons . Some like beefsteak for sandwiches , romas for pasta sauce , cherry for salads , few others I can't remember names for juices and salsas.
Last edited by DavidBarkey on Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Every year I say I’m only going to grow beefsteaks since we use them the most. And every year we end up putting a bunch of different varieties. This year a friend gave a cherry tomato plant to try. It’s called Amish Paste. They were really good. Those are going back in next year!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

25 half pint of brisheta,10 half pints BBQ , 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce . A messily 11 gallons of tomato juice from the juicer , and still have 4 milk crates of tomatoes left to process . Tomorrow we can the juice .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder