Page 1 of 1

a few grapes

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
This is what we got off our 4 grape vines this year . They grow up and over our pergola for shade in the summer .
20220901_145441.jpg
got about a third of them through the juicier today . Me and Jake will finish tomorrow . He love his grape juice .
Juice will get canned and stored . I am not a fan of wine , but with local apples comeing now :hm: . Maybe some Grapple cider :drink:

Re: a few grapes

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:54 pm
by Eugen
Grape vine grown on a pergola is very traditional where I grew up, everybody had it. I would like to do the same one day. Awesome!

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 pm
by JSinMO
That’s great! How old are your vines?

I only have one that’s trying to do anything so far. This is the 2nd year for them. I’m jealous!
D89BC115-4D3C-4EC9-922A-6012FFC452F3.jpeg

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:03 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 pm That’s great! How old are your vines?

I only have one that’s trying to do anything so far. This is the 2nd year for them. I’m jealous!D89BC115-4D3C-4EC9-922A-6012FFC452F3.jpeg
ours are about 8 years old now . 2 Concord vines and 2 Niagara . The base of the vines are over an inch in diameter now .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 am
by FUTZ
How do you keep Raccoons away? I never harvest any grapes, just feed Raccoons, and they thank me by excreting mucky seeds in undesirable places.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:00 am
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey does it have a story how you got it and did you multiply it yourself or what?

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:01 pm
by Gordy
FUTZ wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 am How do you keep Raccoons away? I never harvest any grapes, just feed Raccoons, and they thank me by excreting mucky seeds in undesirable places.
Some here are trying fence and electric fence combo. I rely on traps and a Ruger 1022. The neighbors (gardeners) and local farmers have thanked me. 10 or 15 years ago we had a hug problem with mange and other diseases related to overpopulation. Not to mention gardens and fields being torn up, oh and the :wife: bird feeders trashed too.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
FUTZ wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 am How do you keep Raccoons away? I never harvest any grapes, just feed Raccoons, and they thank me by excreting mucky seeds in undesirable places.
This year we got to them before they did . And it helps that the neighbor bagged a couple . So population took a short term dip .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:27 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:00 am @DavidBarkey does it have a story how you got it and did you multiply it yourself or what?
The pergola came out of a pile of ceder logs my dad gave us for getting rid of them . The vine were the :wife: idea and she picked them out . We planted them at the 4 corner post. A little fertilizer and nature done the rest .

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:19 pm
by Harry
David, how do you keep the birds out of them?

Keep the Peace :cop: :peace:
Harry

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:06 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:19 pm David, how do you keep the birds out of them?

Keep the Peace :cop: :peace:
Harry
There is some much natural feed, bird feeders and farm fresh produce in the area that they don't bother them untill fall . But we beat them to it and they will clean up the left overs for us.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
All are down to juice now . 2 large pots of juice waiting to be sweetened and canned .
The we will see how many quarts we get .