garden planting

JSinMO United States of America

Re: garden planting

Post by JSinMO »

[/quote]

Lets us know how it works out over the season . Old hays plentyfull around here in the spring , it would be nice to know if it could be used .
[/quote]

Dave I did some spot checking. For the last 2 weeks or so we have been very hot and dry. Mid to upper 90s. I watered the garden once over a week ago and we did get almost a 1/16” of rain several days ago.
The hay was dry every where I checked. I did not see any mold but the ground underneath the hay had good moisture. The ground everywhere else is dry as a bone and hard as a brick.
IMG_5117.jpeg
So it is helping to hold some moisture in the ground. The plants look good. The only one that are not growing as I would like are the watermelon and cantaloupe vines. Although I think this is more to do with the hot dry weather that anything else. They look healthy just not taking off yet. I probably should be watering them more.

I will try to periodically update this and we’ll see how it goes!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Thanks for the update Jeff.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

Well look what slipped through the fence. A dang dirty baby skunk! :40: :cuss:
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
I keep the live trap in there to keep the raccoons away from the corn but this is who showed up. :109:
I went to get the .22 to dispatch it but my tree hugger :wife: wanted to let it go! :fight: :headbash:

She said can’t you take it to the woods and let it go? I said no way I’m not getting sprayed if you want to let it go have at it, but if you get sprayed your sleeping outside! :sick: :barf:

I went to retrieve the rifle and I’ll be darned if she didn’t get the trap out of the garden and set it loose with out getting sprayed! :O

She and the skunk won the battle but I’m not convinced the war is over. If he moves on that’s fine but if he hangs around I’m afraid he’s gonna get “rapid onset lead poisoning”.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t have any interest in shooting an animal just for the sport of it. But I have no reservations about doing it for food or to eliminate something that is a pest to us or our animals.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

JSinMO wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:48 pm Well look what slipped through the fence. A dang dirty baby skunk! :40: :cuss: IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg

I keep the live trap in there to keep the raccoons away from the corn but this is who showed up. :109:
I went to get the .22 to dispatch it but my tree hugger :wife: wanted to let it go! :fight: :headbash:

She said can’t you take it to the woods and let it go? I said no way I’m not getting sprayed if you want to let it go have at it, but if you get sprayed your sleeping outside! :sick: :barf:

I went to retrieve the rifle and I’ll be darned if she didn’t get the trap out of the garden and set it loose with out getting sprayed! :O

She and the skunk won the battle but I’m not convinced the war is over. If he moves on that’s fine but if he hangs around I’m afraid he’s gonna get “rapid onset lead poisoning”.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t have any interest in shooting an animal just for the sport of it. But I have no reservations about doing it for food or to eliminate something that is a pest to us or our animals.
I haven’t caught any skunks yet, but I know they are out there. Trail cam has caught them strolling through the backyard. I have taken care of a few other rascals though. I don’t let anyone know I just send them up to the varmit heaven in the sky. ;) :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

We have skunks around all the time . seldom ever see them . A occasionally when we get an oder coming from the bush if the wind is right , but other than that we only see where they have been digging up grubs in the lawn . As long as I don't put traps out trying get a coon , I don't have problem with skunks . Been there done that . :headbash: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:23 am We have skunks around all the time . seldom ever see them . A occasionally when we get an oder coming from the bush if the wind is right , but other than that we only see where they have been digging up grubs in the lawn . As long as I don't put traps out trying get a coon , I don't have problem with skunks . Been there done that . :headbash: :rofl:
David I agree the skunks digging in my yard for grubs is a PITA. I haven’t been sprayed yet. I put a cloth cover over the trap and move it out if the area, before doing due diligence. One time I had a skunk crawl into a small live catch trap that was set for chipmunks. I can’t imagine hiw it wiggled its way in there. Very tricky getting it out. :hm: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by JSinMO »

When I was a kid we had one burrow under the front porch and have its babies. You couldn’t come near the front of the house it stunk so bad. :barf:

Another time one got trapped in my uncle’s garage and sprayed, the smell was terrible for months.

There are thousands of acres of farm land and woods around here they can live but not around the house!