Are you like me?

ras101 United States of America

Are you like me?

Post by ras101 »

So over these past few years I have downloaded many Case GT manuals and found a them to be of very poor quality. Even those copied and saved by Case and Ingersoll themselves seemed to have been copied from used documents as well as the copy process used very poor equipment of techniques. Sometimes that are stains over critical areas that you need, usually spider webs across them,etc. The latest trend is websites applying 'water marks' to freely given documents and these often cover the important areas that you need and can not see. Why to show what - ownership?

If you are like me I hate all of that and want a manual that I can looks as close to new as I can get it but how? So most of these documents are saved as PDF's and there are a few document programs that can import those. I chose a free program - LibreOffice that once the PDF is loaded can remove perhaps 90% of all that crap, especially the watermark. Try it on those manuals you want to use..
Eugen Canada

Re: Are you like me?

Post by Eugen »

The watermark probably identifies the location where the manual was originally posted. Most if not all new owners of a Case garden tractor are happy they were able to find any manual. I wish we could offer better and more complete manuals but we don't have them. 🤷‍♂️
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I agree with you both. A new looking manual is an unusual occurrence. In most cases just to find the required information is a plus. With owning five different GT’s all different, I print the pages required to complete a certain task then keep then in a file in my shop. There was a situation on the original site with the manuals missing after VS took over the site. This situation was was fixed by Lionel . If I had a new manual it would get all messed looking up information with greasy fingers. :)) :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Harry wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:18 am There was a situation on the original site with the manuals missing after VS took over the site. This situation was was fixed by Lionel .

At some point in the past I got the idea (don't know why) to gather ALL the Case garden tractor manuals I could find, anywhere on the internet. When the sister site was taken by VS, unfortunately they completely botched the manuals section, it all disappeared. Guess who had a copy of the entire section? :D poor little Eugen, that's who. I then put all the manuals I had online here, to be available for everyone, and told the moderators on the sister site they could recreate the manuals section there by copying all the manuals from here.

I have an original paper copy of a Case 220 manual, and I will scan it and post it here. If people feel like doing this kind of thing, it will be much appreciated.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I think I have all of the original manuals for my 4118 and the attachments that I have for it. I have managed to keep them in reasonable condition. I also have them for the 448 and l46 although the PO has written quite a few notes in them.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Timj wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:07 am I think I have all of the original manuals for my 4118 and the attachments that I have for it. I have managed to keep them in reasonable condition. I also have them for the 448 and l46 although the PO has written quite a few notes in them.
:geek: Tim
Often I find the PO's notes interesting and often helpful. In the back of one manual is a diary of basically everything the PO did to the tractor, starting with the purchase date and price.

:cheers:
Gordy
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Just so you know guys that I have had the same issues, watermarked manuals, notes and also misaligned and scanned manuals too. As I stated earlier I just hate that!. Yeah I know most of our documentation is 30-50 years old and expect that. What I don't understand is even when the manufacturers website was up and offering these documents how bad they were presented. For me personally I have submitted a few pristine documents to other forum sites only to see that they have been "modified" with watermarks or whatever before posting. In my opinion they don't "BELONG" to the site and are still my property and not there's. For me I share my information to members.
So to start the drive back to get acceptable document stash I give the following info:
!) Download LibraOffice Draw, a free program and open your watermarked document in that.
2) Highlight the watermark and press delete for each and every page
3) hay presto the marks are GONE! press save.

If you really want a clean copy then:
Open the cleaned copy in Adobe Photo shop:
1) highlight the crap that is still on the page and press delete. You can even select a color/type to remove and just watch it disappear too.
2) select a drawing/text/page and select straighten ad watch the whole page auto correct.

Save at any stage that you want.

Remember to upload your creation back to the site. If all members did that we could have the best documented record for our hobby guys.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Great idea, but there are a lot of manuals to go through, it's quite lot of work and time consuming.

The way it is now, everyone that finds manuals here sees the watermark that tells them go to casecoltingersoll.com so I guess we're helping our sister site quite a lot. :D vertical scope should thank us for sending them members :35:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E