Case K2 Cabs

Drawings and schematics of parts for tractors, attachments, tools.
ras101 United States of America

Re: Case K2 Cabs

Post by ras101 »

thebuildist wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm I want to say, this is just excellent!

But how did you model it so accurately to the machine?

Do you have a fusion 360 model of a Case/Ingersoll tractor too?

Bob
Hi Bob, we are getting there my friend. To answer your question about "do I have a model" well almost! at least the whole chassis. It still needs wheels, etc. Trying to work out how to "start it" :) . I probably have another 50 plus drawings to share.

Re: Case K2 Cabs (part1)

Post by ras101 »

Ok guys, noticed there has been a little traction on these drawings.

So a little history info now on what you have here and my design intent...I also trying to set up a base from which to set up my modelling. I this case (pun intended) I bought a 1987 444 frame than I staged in my basement (still there! but soon to be moved outside for painting). All of my work has been based off that frame. I added things I have bought over time from Ebay, etc. such as fenders, seat supports, etc, etc. When I wanted to try something new such a cab doors, front screens etc. I tended to model them using poster board/cardboard sheets etc. and honed them close to what I am thinking (I am very visual) then measure and work with that to really get my thoughts right. I might model several times before I reach what I am really looking for. I still have the cardboard doors and front screens fitted to my basement model! and yes I have created these parts using plexiglass and 80/20 aluminum angle. Still got to paint my parts though(not my scene) . Why am I waiting I need to service the Engine (18HP B&S Vanguard) and buy the electric clutch and a few other items first.

I bought a very rusty K2 beat up (read "well used") cab from a local salvage place. It came with a rusted out roof but still had sections. One door that had the window completely destroyed and no second door. An intact windshield and rear window and some of the hardware to mount including front skirt. No info on what it had been mounted on so no back ground.

The first thing I did was to take what was left apart. Took awhile as the hardware was either rusted, missing ,or worse cross threaded sometimes with miss-matched thread hardware (made the decision right then that I will only use stainless nut/bolts/washers and anything else I can create that is stainless or non-rusting too) . Yeah you are right took awhile and sometimes needed a saw or grinder too to remove parts.
Part 1..
So the roof was completely shot! So my first action was to measure every part and log it all into a rough hand produced drawing (did "tech drawing at school as a kid, and well my father was a design draughtsman in the UK and I guess that rubbed off on me too). All my drawings and measurements were using digital tools. Those I did not have I purchased! I mainly used digital calipers (I have the standard 6" and also a 12" set), digital angle gauges, and digital tape measure too, and oh digital hole gauges, thread checkers, etc. And another thing I had plenty of free alone time too in the evenings (no internet or TV available.
I then started to think about my "new project" . I was very fortunate - I lived at that time in Canastota NY and close by I had a small family business that specialized in Farm Equipment repair and fabrication, i.e.. sheet metal fabrication, turning and painting.. that was quite close by at a very reasonable price so I got to know them quite well.
I looked at multiple Case K2 cab photos and read a ton load of material from owners too and some of their updates. The one thing I gleaned was that almost everyone complained about the up front windshield angle, the doors, the available foot space, etc. the visibility up front and downward too, and the cab felt claustrophobic and and surprisingly the rear window too (hope I covered everything). I decided that I wanted to fix that in my cab especially as I have back issues and I needed space to get my feet located inside the cab and I tend to be the go-too person in my neighborhood for snow blowing. Also I added lighting, mirrors, etc.
So when I started I decided that my cab design needed to be forward of the old cab design to allow more foot area, so how? so while doodling I extended the roof ! not a lot just an inch and moved the front profile up too and added a transition to the front to foot rest hence the "front adapter bracket' was born (remember that I had no doors either so no need to retain the front angle or anything) and that put a "kink into the front angle" .
I was very aware though that the hood needed to open too! (one thing with Fusion 360 is the ability to set hinge points and rotate about those points so being able to open windows/panels/hoods etc to check fit is no problem! (the hinge points on my models are always set so if you have knowledge of Fusion you can see how this works too) and windows slide.
The second thing (well actually for me part of my initial design concept was to get rid of the front skirt!) I wanted full vision up front and also to the sides unlike the original cab and doors and hence part of the reason to kink the front profile. I also wanted solid doors but also see through too, locks (onl;y because my GT is left outside during the winter in the front yard), etc..

Break here I will be back tomorrow

Re: Case K2 Cabs (part2)

Post by ras101 »

So, part 2...

As I examined the parts I had I found that the back window seemed to me wrong! I guess the ability to remove it was legit in that if your GT had rear hydraulics that gaining access might be needed but for me even if I had that, that I don't, I would not be using it in the winter either when the cab would be on. In my design I removed the existing window and hardware and replaced it with a 1/4 inch plexiglass window and trim so it was non removable. I spent a while on McMaster Carr (my go to site for all my hardware needs) and found the rubber trim that worked for me too. When I went to add the K2 lower metal adapter and cab back to my 87 frame and fenders i did not like just drilling holes for the cab in the fenders and decided to add a "strengthening bar" too. You could/can leave that out but for me it was important.

The roof was totally remade! (I used my local fab house) mine was rusted out and I could see light through the roof section it was that bad. Seems that the original owner lived off the 104 close to Fulton, NY and kept his GT outside year round, etc. I had the original roof remade but added an inch to the length and moved the front mounting points an inch forward too.
So now we come to the front frame. The frame was in reasonable condition. The windshield/screen was in good condition but the rubber seal was, well shot, and anyway when I removed the windshield I basically destroyed the rest of the rubber but I kept the windshield (glass) for later use. This cab did not have a wiper fitted (I guess long gone) but did have a hole for the wiper.
Taking my approach to trial and fabricate parts first I mounted all the parts first to the frame and fenders, added the transition piece and back and roof and the the front frame. I then created and built the transition and added the angles to the foot rest (these I kept standard). I can't stress enough!!! all my hardware is Stainless!!!!!! IMO the only way to go and I always use star head bolts also when available.
So sorry not as long as I intended as part 2 so I apologize but please keep reading..
Update 3 soon...

Post by ras101 »

So I scored a couple of pieces of Plexiglass on Craigslist - 1/4" 4'x4' for $120! should be enough to complete the cab door windows and perhaps some of the front skirt or more... Might get this cab machined soon and ready for paint.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:40 pm So I scored a couple of pieces of Plexiglass on Craigslist - 1/4" 4'x4' for $120! should be enough to complete the cab door windows and perhaps some of the front skirt or more... Might get this cab machined soon and ready for paint.
Looking forward to see it Ray! Good score on that plexiglass too! :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

Ok, so here's the deal guys. Although it is easy if you down load the Fusions 360 free app be able anything on the 3D models if you truly want to start to build something reach out to me and I will try to help. All I ask in return is to share ideas.. Got any? I really, really want this section to drive our collective thoughts... we can make these machines sooooo much better but it can't be done by one person , please share your ideas. Even if you just say you used some of these drawings would help. They take quite a time to produce.Just know that every dimension that you will ever need is contained in the 3D drawing. Would you like 2d with dimensions probably yes but they are there guys with a lot more info than a 2D could ever provide. Need help, just ask...

Post by ras101 »

Part 3 - long over due..

so guys, I just realized going back through my records that span 12 years or so that I never gave credit to the people that inspired my start on the my cab design. As you can imagine the weather played a significant role, after all I live in WNY, but there were two people that really set the scene for me and I want to shout out!

Grummy - he was a major influence for me. He shared extensively at a time when I was avidly learning about the Case GT. I hope he is still doing OK as I have not heard or seen him on these forums recently

BobAfton - who's cab design I shamelessly followed before adding my own twists.

Only by reading and absorbing each others thoughts, modifications, designs, whatever will we learn, adapt, and improve.

Thank you guys

Ray

Post by ras101 »

So guys I am hopeful that we can share with you one of the best home built cab designs, ever! We are waiting for Grummy's permission to share designs that he created over a decade ago on other Case/Ingersoll forums and his own website. Grummy used his GT for profit during the winter snow blowing around his neighbor hood. Over the years of doing that he 'learnt about what worked for him with his business and what did not. He knew he needed a cab but the Case/Ingersoll version, ie K1 and K2 did not work for him. Way too vision restrictive - etc. He had all those and discarded them! He needed something else so he took all his knowledge and designed his own a hard shelled cab for a 446/448. I hope he will give permission to share with you guys but know my cab is based on his with a few twists..