Case K2 Cabs

Drawings and schematics of parts for tractors, attachments, tools.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Case K2 Cabs

Post by RoamingGnome »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:48 am
@Eugen I thought the f3d files are the large heavy ones. Would that not be worse ?
I'm confused .
They're a little larger than dwg but hold a lot more information, in a sense they are a superset of the dwg, because if you wanted you could generate dwg from them. See this one attached here.

Inside Door Handle v1.f3d
Wow! that actually worked for me - It loaded fusion 360 as a default viewer and I could see it right away.

I'm looking forward to finding the time to learn some new computer stuff...

CAD was always "Cardboard Aided Design" As a Mechanic (or Heavy Equipment Technician if we use fancy words :)) ) I had a completely different relationship with CAD - on the shop floor - or working out of the back of a service truck CAD was a crude but effective tool for repairing something clearly designed by an engineer - " Cardboard to design, measure once cut twice, weld to fill, grind to get close, hammer to fit, paint to match..."

:rofl:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:07 am @DavidBarkey you pretty much have identified one of the major problems with this format.

To actually fabricate a part the most useful type of drawing is a lot different than the 3D model. It would have various views and cross sections and all dimensions clearly stated. And that would be a pdf file, or jpeg, basically an image. The 3D model is useful if you want to modify it.

There is a way to use Fusion 360 to create a "DRAWING" but it involves quite a lot of work because you need to decide which views or cross sections to show, and which dimensions/sizes to show on the drawing. The best person to do this is usually the creator of the 3D model, and in our case that would be @ras101

I said this from the beginning, it's great to have the 3D models, but most people will not be able to do anything with them. Most people need just the 2D dimensional drawings, and they can be added here as pdf.
I agree with you completely @Eugen There must be a ton of work involved in making accurate measurements to create these 3D models. They are beautiful to look at and the labour of love to produce them is truly appreciated.

Personally I don't have a CNC milling machine or 3D printer that would utilize all the functions and information contained in these files. For my caveman workshop a screenshot or jpg of the 3D modelled image would be great to have an idea of what it looks like, but I would probably get the most practical use from a PDF of the X, Y and Z axis - kind of like when I was in high school 45yrs ago and learned about Isometric, Orthographic, Plan, Elevation and Cross Section drawings - There was a nice dovetail of technical programs - In drafting class you would draw plans (with paper and pencil) for projects to be completed in machine shop or wood shop... no computers required... :roll:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Ray has updated the initial post with Fusion 3D native files, which contain complete information about the 3D model. Thank you @ras101 !
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:08 am
ras101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:46 pm Hi David! thanks for being one of my avid supporters1

So if you have not already go ans upload Fusion 360 for personal use as it's free. you should be able to import all f3z files..
All I could find is windows and mac only not Chrome Book . There is an online viewer I found but the drawings are but a speck on the page . I have limited personal, computing, and internet connection.
David, I have never used a Chrome Book and don't know its capabilities either. I do have or have used both an Iphone 13 and an Android phone though and have views for both. Yeah the images are small but still there..
Probably does not help you a lot so if you want a technical drawing that will enable you to build the part just ask...

Post by ras101 »

So< still not sure what are the limitations here but clearly not all the files were attached.. so here's some more>>>
Attachments
Wiper Blade v27.f3d
(789.99 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
wiper arm v17.f3z
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
Windshield Wiper Motor v5.f3d
(950.04 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Windshield v7.f3d
(52.33 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Window Trim profile v1.f3d
(77.98 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Window Knob v1.f3d
(117.11 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Series 15 Door v29.f3z
(10.3 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
Roof Strengthening Web v2.f3d
(73.56 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Piano Hinge v1.f3d
(702.86 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Outside Door Handle v6.f3d
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Mk111 Door Assy v14.f3z
(11.51 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
Lower Door Hinge Pivot Brackets v2.f3d
(183.19 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
K2 Cab Assy v2.f3z
(25.33 MiB) Downloaded 101 times

Post by ras101 »

RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:47 am
Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:07 am @DavidBarkey you pretty much have identified one of the major problems with this format.

To actually fabricate a part the most useful type of drawing is a lot different than the 3D model. It would have various views and cross sections and all dimensions clearly stated. And that would be a pdf file, or jpeg, basically an image. The 3D model is useful if you want to modify it.

There is a way to use Fusion 360 to create a "DRAWING" but it involves quite a lot of work because you need to decide which views or cross sections to show, and which dimensions/sizes to show on the drawing. The best person to do this is usually the creator of the 3D model, and in our case that would be @ras101

I said this from the beginning, it's great to have the 3D models, but most people will not be able to do anything with them. Most people need just the 2D dimensional drawings, and they can be added here as pdf.
I agree with you completely @Eugen There must be a ton of work involved in making accurate measurements to create these 3D models. They are beautiful to look at and the labour of love to produce them is truly appreciated.

Personally I don't have a CNC milling machine or 3D printer that would utilize all the functions and information contained in these files. For my caveman workshop a screenshot or jpg of the 3D modelled image would be great to have an idea of what it looks like, but I would probably get the most practical use from a PDF of the X, Y and Z axis - kind of like when I was in high school 45yrs ago and learned about Isometric, Orthographic, Plan, Elevation and Cross Section drawings - There was a nice dovetail of technical programs - In drafting class you would draw plans (with paper and pencil) for projects to be completed in machine shop or wood shop... no computers required... :roll:
Just so you know I was born and bred in Th UK and moved to the States in 1989! I went to a "technical modern" school and got to use all the "modern:" stuff at that time. Yeah this meant "technical Drawing" using pen and paper, automated design, meaning lathe, furnace, drill press, etc,, got the message? computers were never part of that! Having said that I started in computers in 1970! yeah that far back but I am 75 years old now and have forgotten more than you will ever learn! So why don't I provide you with measured drawings? I really don't want you to stop where I have left off (just run out of energy I guess) > everything I have done to date can be accessed within my 3D files.. I just want to see you and others take that to the next level. If you take up this challenge I will know that my time was not wasted but more important to me is that my hobby will not die..Ray
Last edited by ras101 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Ray, I want to acknowledge that it's clear to me, the amount of work you put into creating these models is quite extraordinary. In time we should be able to export dimensional drawings. I'm sure that if someone wanted to actually build one of these parts they would have to extract dimensions from the 3D model. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

I want to say, this is just excellent!

But how did you model it so accurately to the machine?

Do you have a fusion 360 model of a Case/Ingersoll tractor too?

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"

Post by ras101 »

Happy to help here where I can guys. As Eugen was saying for these particular drawings I might be the best source of info especially as I decided to share my work-in-progress K2 Cab design. As I think I said earlier I have modified my cab. Why did I do that? Well...

I bought parts of a K2 cab - one door with busted out window, roof that was rusted through, front skirt that has seen better days, etc. I did get a rusted roof, back panel, bottom closing panel, windshield, etc. but not much else Why did I do that? heaven knows (is that a phrase used in the States? (I am a transposed Brit or 32 years and still learning the language!). I do know that what I saw I knew needed a lot of loving care at best and mainly a total re-look at what I needed as a handicap person, etc. Still not in the best of health and sometimes find it difficult to pick things up and move them around so stay with me here too. So I stored all the parts that I had, bought some parts on Ebay when they became available but most of all did a lot of research on line too both on Case/Ingersoll forums (some of which are no longer with us) also some non Case/Ingersoll forums too as the Cabs were made for a number of GT types. Listened to many comments from users and yes added my own thoughts too. What I have shared in this section is not just a representation of the original K2 but a collaboration of ideas.

Here are my main changes to the Cab parts I had
!) increased the cab roof length by 1 Inch to push the Front profile forward.
2) added an adapter plate to the base of the front profile to footplate but kept the original angle bracket thus adding a front angle to allow more room for feet.
3) removed completely the front skirt and added plexi windows the top window below the windshield opens so that the tractor hood can be opened as required
4) Totally removed the flex doors! Replaced them with hard doors with plexi windows with the top one the slides open, door hand and lock, aluminum angle frame (8020.com) and the whole door has visual access - no more claustrophobia!! and you can see the curb too!
5) I only use stainless parts!! by that all my hardware, nuts/bolts/washers are from McMasterCarr stainless categories, usually socket head too unless a hex head is more appropriate for larger sizes.
6) I am also changing all my snow thrower to electric too. So even though I show a drawing to add a bracket for a snow blower rod I personally will not be using that.
7) One last thing here - windshield wiper! you will see drawings of my windshield wiper and that is a work in progress. IMO Every cab needs a working wiper.. Yeah, I live in snow country...

Post by ras101 »

thebuildist wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm I want to say, this is just excellent!

But how did you model it so accurately to the machine?

Do you have a fusion 360 model of a Case/Ingersoll tractor too?

Bob
Hi Bob, sorry it's taken my a while to get back to you as I have been trying to get this section up and running with at least some of my work on Case GTs.

To answer your question. I have been a case owner since 2008 (a 1977 446). Never intended taking it any further than just using my tractor for snow blowing - yeah I lived in a western NY area that commonly got a 24 inch dump over night!
I now have a stable of 4 case tractors. I have one in pieces in my basement (at my age I need some heat!), a 1987 444 that I have bought parts for, upgraded, adding a cab to etc. I made an early decision (I mean 2010 ish) to always record my work/updates, etc. so what you are seeing and hearing is my journey through this. Yeah I am an engineer, my father was a 'design engineer too. I have always been into technical drawing (got an A+ at school), I am a computer nerd (yeah started that in the early 70's too). All my models are based on actual parts.. I use only the best measurement equipment out there, all digital.
You asked do I have a digital model of the tractor..the answer is not quite but almost! I will share what I have.. Ray