Page 1 of 1

Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:39 am
by Eugen
Just wanted to make a post drawing attention to this CAD program, as I have been really impressed with how intuitive and easy to use it is. Here's an example I drew in about 2 hours (while learning the program), a hydraulic cylinder with some joints. The free version of this software has some limitations as compared to the very expensive paid license, but no really bad limitations. I'm dreaming of building a small digger for the 644, and this is the software I'd like to use for the design.

https://vimeo.com/755143229

Time to try this section out!

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:50 pm
by ras101
Just got a full years subscription to Fusion 360 and now have access to post the work I have been doing in the background for our hobby. For me I have two priorities:-
1) to keep my brain active and as a 75year old that can be hard sometimes :)
2) to extend my hobby into the real world and share with my friends

Ray

Re: Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm
by ras101
Guys, chomping at the bit here but we need to expand the file types we can download here.. I can down load "inactive files" like pdf's etc and if I need to do that I will but my aim is to download files that you can take and work on too if at all possible so we can enhance our hobby too. Talking with Eugen right now to see what is possible.
Ray

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:29 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm Guys, chomping at the bit here but we need to expand the file types we can download here.. I can down load "inactive files" like pdf's etc and if I need to do that I will but my aim is to download files that you can take and work on too if at all possible so we can enhance our hobby too. Talking with Eugen right now to see what is possible.
Ray
Uploading pdfs has been enabled for a long time, you should be able to add it just as an attachment.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm
by ras101
Eugen, problem is PDF's are not an option!

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:08 pm
by ras101
I need to be able to download DWG' etc..

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 pm
by ras101
BTW, anyone that wants to get access to my files are welcome to contact me directly. I have put many hours into drawing Case parts and assemblies and you never know...I might just have drawn the part you need but can't buy any more

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm
by DavidBarkey
Ray @ras101 . Dumb question as I don't understand a lot of this anymore . Can you convert to a jpeg and then upload ? I do appreciate you making drawing of these parts.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm Eugen, problem is PDF's are not an option!
Hello Ray, I suggest you try first with a pdf, should just work. Just click on Attachments and then Add files and then Choose Files. Then choose the pdf file which you want.

4009768F-CBD0-4DEF-B7C2-B6BDF1B9C324.jpeg

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:49 am
by Toolslinger
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm Ray @ras101 . Dumb question as I don't understand a lot of this anymore . Can you convert to a jpeg and then upload ? I do appreciate you making drawing of these parts.
Problem with putting out a .jpg of a dwg is you loose the functionality of the file in the cad program. It becomes a picture, rather than a defined set of points, lines, and arcs. PDF can still be useful as you can scale it well, and AutoCAD will snap to it when you import it, but you still really loose the ability to edit in cad. (I've spent way too much time tracing PDF's of cad files to be able to use them) Same thing would apply to a Fusion file, whatever that extension is, only it becomes ever worse with the 3D. Just getting a 3D model from one 3D program to another is a royal PITA, let alone running it through a forum.

Getting an archive of accurately drawn, or modeled parts could be a massive help to members. That takes space on a server someplace, and I'm not volunteering anyone for that cost and headache. CAD files are usually pretty small, but the 3D models can really get bloated. I know over the years I've seen plenty of projects people have posted across various Case forums that it would be nice to have the drawings/models for, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:43 am
by Eugen
Please try to upload a dwg file I have modified this section to allow such uploads, and am testing it wth a file attached below.

Body 01.dwg
(23.9 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:37 am
by Eugen
Toolslinger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:49 am
Problem with putting out a .jpg of a dwg is you loose the functionality of the file in the cad program. It becomes a picture, rather than a defined set of points, lines, and arcs. PDF can still be useful as you can scale it well, and AutoCAD will snap to it when you import it, but you still really loose the ability to edit in cad. (I've spent way too much time tracing PDF's of cad files to be able to use them) Same thing would apply to a Fusion file, whatever that extension is, only it becomes ever worse with the 3D. Just getting a 3D model from one 3D program to another is a royal PITA, let alone running it through a forum.

Getting an archive of accurately drawn, or modeled parts could be a massive help to members. That takes space on a server someplace, and I'm not volunteering anyone for that cost and headache. CAD files are usually pretty small, but the 3D models can really get bloated. I know over the years I've seen plenty of projects people have posted across various Case forums that it would be nice to have the drawings/models for, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Very good points, thank you. I hope people do start sharing models here. :cheers:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:52 pm
by ras101
That, my friend is exactly my point! the files I want to share could/can always be shared just as flat drawing files like Jpeg, etc. The files I want to post are 'active' files , ie, ones that can be downloaded into a CAD program of your choice (I use Autodesk Fusion 360) . When this option is taken the files become very much more useful to all of us. Heck if you have the right machining equipment you could reproduce the item robotic-ally directly from the drawings. All the drawing I produce and share are all measured from original parts using the most accurate method possible - electronic calipers, rules, etc. My aim guys, and I hope you all add to this is to have drawings of ALL parts that we need to replace over time to maintain our hobby for the next 50 heck a 100 years from now. As I am sure you have all had price sticker shock when searching for even a worn part on Ebay, Craigslist etc. For me when I work on my GT's I want to replace parts with at least the same quality or I prefer BETTER! For me I replace hardware with Stainless parts, some I buy from experts such as "teapot linda" on Ebay, others I manufacture myself, and still others I modify from original parts.

To share my work and I hope others we need a medium to do that. I would like this site to be that. The less work in translating the file types that we need to do would make sharing easier but at a minimum the type chosen should be an active CAD file type.

BTW. Fusion 360 has a A free single user home license for anyone that wants to try.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm
by Eugen
@ras101 please go ahead and share one DWG file here, it will serve as confirmation that it is possible.
:thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:16 pm
by ras101
Eugen, just tried sharing a DWG of a B&S 18hp engine to show what we are talking about for our future. The file can not be uploaded because the file size is currently beyond the site limit? The file is about 26 MB. can you help?

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:33 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:16 pm Eugen, just tried sharing a DWG of a B&S 18hp engine to show what we are talking about for our future. The file can not be uploaded because the file size is currently beyond the site limit? The file is about 26 MB. can you help?
Oh wow! :O

No problem, I increased the size for this section of the forum to 30MB.

Please try again.
Eugen

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:40 pm
by ras101
Eugen, sill says my file is too large at 25.5MB ?

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:47 pm
by Eugen
I have fixed it, now you should be able to do it, as a test I uploaded a random file of 27MB and it is attached here. It contains random bytes, do not download it, it is not a model of anything.

@ras101 no need to send me any files via email. Please try again, it should work now.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:11 pm
by ras101
So, I tried sending a large dwg file and that got rejected but I did not want to disappoint members either. So I have uploaded the rear panel of a K2 cab to show what we can achieve in this section..

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:13 pm
by Eugen
It should be fixed now Ray, please try uploading the 26MB file.

If you have files larger than 30MB please let me know so I increase the limit again.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:40 pm
by ras101
B&S 18HP vanguard engine drawing

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:45 pm
by Eugen
Yay! Thank you for your patience Ray, and certainly thank you for willing to share your work with the members of this forum. This kind of contribution is rare and very much appreciated by us all. More help for us to keep these great Case tractors of our alive! :cheers:

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:18 pm
by ras101
DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm Ray @ras101 . Dumb question as I don't understand a lot of this anymore . Can you convert to a jpeg and then upload ? I do appreciate you making drawing of these parts.
There is never a dumb question David.
Most drawing files can be converted using the right application. The problem usually is that the conversion usually some aspect of the file being lost. In the case we are talking about CAD files are highly intelligent and contain a lot of metadata that enables the files and images to be manipulated and worked on. Such things as being able to rotate the image through 360 degrees or measure length or angle, etc. are lost when just displaying an image of the part as happens with formats such as jpeg, etc. What I am trying to do here is give you access to information/drawings that enable you to check your part against for say any ware or tear, etc. or even create a new part in the event of failure..

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:33 pm
by ras101
Ok, as the title suggests I work in Fusion 360 for all my CAD work. Why _ because I am cheap! :) no that's not it, perhaps because I like 3d and want to enable my friends to experience the ability to share drawings accurately in almost photographic fashion in 3D and not the standard 2d flat mode like a photo (Jpegs). I would prefer to share my work in the native format of this application ..F3Z but that is not possible right now but the level of restriction for file type downloads is like light years. Anyone that wants to take my work to a new level and wants to use Fusion 360 should contact me and I will/can provide native files. My only request is that you share your work on the forum so we all benefit.

OK lets really get started here. Still not a fan of the format of this section but we will live with it. I will create a posting for each major assembly and the add posts to document each part as I have them or are drawn. My request guys is to don't respond directly to my posting but to start a new post asking questions. Why/ because I would like to try to keep the posts with the drawing clean to make it easier for members to follow the design. That said lets get started.

My first section will be for a modified K2 Cab.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:42 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:33 pm Still not a fan of the format of this section but we will live with it.
Ray, if you describe how this section should be done to be more to your liking I can try to do that.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm
by ras101
Hi Eugen... you my friend are the best thing that happen on any forum site I have been on and very accessible too!! my preference would be for the technical sections to be controlled differently from the forum sections where everyone can access and comment. Not sure if that makes sense but lets say I am looking for a manual I don't want to have to sort through everyone's comments before i access say a parts manual. That being said I might want to at some point remark about a manual or share some knowledge I might have found out such as - this part is no longer available but it has been replaced by.. but that should never be interloped with the manuals themselves. Bottom line, I guess is that I believe the technical sections should be under strict moderator control! all technical attachments for this section should only be uploaded by a moderator and the titles, and location should by in a standard format , i.e., if its say an Engine manual it might be under the heading of say Onan and then under the various options, etc. with no member able to change that but able to comment in the general forum. I would really like that for the Cad section too.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:18 pm
by ras101
ras101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:18 pm
There is never a dumb question David.
Most drawing files can be converted using the right application. The problem usually is that the conversion usually some aspect of the file being lost. In the case we are talking about CAD files are highly intelligent and contain a lot of metadata that enables the files and images to be manipulated and worked on. Such things as being able to rotate the image through 360 degrees or measure length or angle, etc. are lost when just displaying an image of the part as happens with formats such as jpeg, etc. What I am trying to do here is give you access to information/drawings that enable you to check your part against for say any ware or tear, etc. or even create a new part in the event of failure..
Another thing David. The drawings I am posting are from a 3D graphics program. I can rotate the image through any angle - top- bottom - left side - right side, or any angle between, ie it can be rotated to what you need to see. Jpegs on the other hand are like photo's and are static. When I produce jpegs I always have to ask what you want to see as 95% of the picture will be missing from you view. I know everyone is exploring what they are interested in at that moment but that would mean a new view for everyone but more important do you just want to see? or would you prefer something you can explore?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:37 pm
by ras101
ras101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm Hi Eugen... you my friend are the best thing that happen on any forum site I have been on and very accessible too!! my preference would be for the technical sections to be controlled differently from the forum sections where everyone can access and comment. Not sure if that makes sense but lets say I am looking for a manual I don't want to have to sort through everyone's comments before i access say a parts manual. That being said I might want to at some point remark about a manual or share some knowledge I might have found out such as - this part is no longer available but it has been replaced by.. but that should never be interloped with the manuals themselves. Bottom line, I guess is that I believe the technical sections should be under strict moderator control! all technical attachments for this section should only be uploaded by a moderator and the titles, and location should by in a standard format , i.e., if its say an Engine manual it might be under the heading of say Onan and then under the various options, etc. with no member able to change that but able to comment in the general forum. I would really like that for the Cad section too.
Eugen, another thought? as this section is identified as Fusion 360 can I just provide the files as native 360? Perhaps we should just tell people where to get the free version and let them at it? Trying to be everything to everyone might not be the best approach here?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:11 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Eugen, another thought? as this section is identified as Fusion 360 can I just provide the files as native 360? Perhaps we should just tell people where to get the free version and let them at it? Trying to be everything to everyone might not be the best approach here?
Ray, we do not have a separate section for Fusion 360, what we have here now is just a discussion I happen to open about Fusion 360.

I think though, that the categorization of technical drawings according to the the functional feature of the part in question would make more sense, after all Fusion 360 is just a tool producing DWG files.

Also please keep in mind that the format of the forum is quite fixed in the sense that we can create new forum sections, but two posts cannot be linked such that the drawing posting is separate from the discussion about the drawing.

However, there is a simple solution for that and it fits perfectly within the framework allowed by the forum software. The person who creates the drawing, in this case yourself, would open a new thread about the specific part. So the first posting would be yours, with the DWG file(s) attached. You can have then 1000 comments below it, it does not matter, the first posting is still yours and you can edit that posting at anytime you want. You can add another drawing, or modify the initial drawing. If someone would like to add an updated version of your drawing, all they would have to do is to upload it to the discussion, and you (or I) could attach it to the first posting with the appropriate comments.

The problem could be that we have "discussions" that are in that section, that have no drawing attached. For instance someone asking about availability of a model of a certain part. The solution could be to make all threads that have a DWG attached sticky to the upper part of the section.

The question to everyone is, what subsections should we create under the Technical Library->Drawings, CAD, Design ?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:35 pm
by ras101
Eugen, makes perfect sense! Lets do this! I want to start a discussion on K2 Cabs first. Probable have close to 20 plus files to share..

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:48 pm
by Eugen
ras101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:35 pm Eugen, makes perfect sense! Lets do this! I want to start a discussion on K2 Cabs first. Probable have close to 20 plus files to share..
Please go ahead, if you click on the Drawings, CAD, Design section you will see a New Topic button. The first post you make will be the post describing the project and holding all the attachments for it. I would say please make sure to choose an appropriate subject for the topic, such as "K2 Cab Fusion 360 Model" or something like that, I think you know better what the project is about.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:11 pm
by Eugen
Ray, you created just a new post in the existing topic instead of creating a new topic. I will create a new topic and move this post there. Please look at the image below to see how a new topic/discussion looks like as opposed to a new post inside an existing topic.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 15.17.27.png

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:53 pm
by Toolslinger
Afternoon gents... I've been a bit busy, so haven't been around much, so I'm just getting back...

Autodesk has a viewer that should let you look at the native Fusion files. It'll run on desktops, tablets, or phones, so I imagine it can't be too massive for most to run.

https://viewer.autodesk.com/

I haven't tried pulling any of the Fusion files up yet as I haven't ever bothered to install Fusion (had to buy a licence to get HSMWorks for the CNC mill), or the viewer, so I can't speak to it's function. I wouldn't really be a good test case anyhow as I'm sitting in front of a pretty serious CAD station for Solidworks. Solidworks doen't like the Fusion format for sure, so I imagine going to a STEP format would be the only way. STEP would remove the Fusion functionallity, but would retain the 3d solid. Certianly a reasonable option for discrete parts. I have no idea how a multiple part assembly would convert over. Probably poorly.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:10 pm
by Eugen
Toolslinger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:53 pm Afternoon gents... I've been a bit busy, so haven't been around much, so I'm just getting back...

Autodesk has a viewer that should let you look at the native Fusion files. It'll run on desktops, tablets, or phones, so I imagine it can't be too massive for most to run.

https://viewer.autodesk.com/

I haven't tried pulling any of the Fusion files up yet as I haven't ever bothered to install Fusion (had to buy a licence to get HSMWorks for the CNC mill), or the viewer, so I can't speak to it's function. I wouldn't really be a good test case anyhow as I'm sitting in front of a pretty serious CAD station for Solidworks. Solidworks doen't like the Fusion format for sure, so I imagine going to a STEP format would be the only way. STEP would remove the Fusion functionallity, but would retain the 3d solid. Certianly a reasonable option for discrete parts. I have no idea how a multiple part assembly would convert over. Probably poorly.
@Toolslinger welcome back! :D

As far as I can tell STEP format can be exported from fusion 360. We're not exactly swimming in free space so I'd rather generate them as needed, when someone asks. I can should be able to do that for multiple part assemblies too, by separating them in fusion 360 into individual parts. Thanks for the info re the viewer, it'll help anyone who want's a quick peek at the part. :cheers:

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:23 pm
by Toolslinger
I just put Fusion on out of curiosity.

Yes, it puts out STEP just fine.

Solidworks pulled it in reasonably well. It would need a little cleanup, but that's expected between formats.

I don't really run the 2d side of Solidworks much as we've got a draftsman that is very good, so I don't bother. However, it will produce very nice 2d drawings from the 3d solid with just a little help from the operator. I'll have to play around with it a little, and see what we can get. From the 2d, I believe I could kick out a DXF, which would pull in to any CAD out there.

I'm not suggesting we try storing all these different formats. That would indeed be a space hog. I think it's worth a little time to experiment with the process, and perhaps I'll do one or two of the parts, and post the results so we can discuss the outcome. I'll call it continuing education, so I can do it during some of my slow time at work... :lol: