Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD

Drawings and schematics of parts for tractors, attachments, tools.
Eugen Canada

Re: Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:35 pm Eugen, makes perfect sense! Lets do this! I want to start a discussion on K2 Cabs first. Probable have close to 20 plus files to share..
Please go ahead, if you click on the Drawings, CAD, Design section you will see a New Topic button. The first post you make will be the post describing the project and holding all the attachments for it. I would say please make sure to choose an appropriate subject for the topic, such as "K2 Cab Fusion 360 Model" or something like that, I think you know better what the project is about.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Ray, you created just a new post in the existing topic instead of creating a new topic. I will create a new topic and move this post there. Please look at the image below to see how a new topic/discussion looks like as opposed to a new post inside an existing topic.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 15.17.27.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Afternoon gents... I've been a bit busy, so haven't been around much, so I'm just getting back...

Autodesk has a viewer that should let you look at the native Fusion files. It'll run on desktops, tablets, or phones, so I imagine it can't be too massive for most to run.

https://viewer.autodesk.com/

I haven't tried pulling any of the Fusion files up yet as I haven't ever bothered to install Fusion (had to buy a licence to get HSMWorks for the CNC mill), or the viewer, so I can't speak to it's function. I wouldn't really be a good test case anyhow as I'm sitting in front of a pretty serious CAD station for Solidworks. Solidworks doen't like the Fusion format for sure, so I imagine going to a STEP format would be the only way. STEP would remove the Fusion functionallity, but would retain the 3d solid. Certianly a reasonable option for discrete parts. I have no idea how a multiple part assembly would convert over. Probably poorly.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:53 pm Afternoon gents... I've been a bit busy, so haven't been around much, so I'm just getting back...

Autodesk has a viewer that should let you look at the native Fusion files. It'll run on desktops, tablets, or phones, so I imagine it can't be too massive for most to run.

https://viewer.autodesk.com/

I haven't tried pulling any of the Fusion files up yet as I haven't ever bothered to install Fusion (had to buy a licence to get HSMWorks for the CNC mill), or the viewer, so I can't speak to it's function. I wouldn't really be a good test case anyhow as I'm sitting in front of a pretty serious CAD station for Solidworks. Solidworks doen't like the Fusion format for sure, so I imagine going to a STEP format would be the only way. STEP would remove the Fusion functionallity, but would retain the 3d solid. Certianly a reasonable option for discrete parts. I have no idea how a multiple part assembly would convert over. Probably poorly.
@Toolslinger welcome back! :D

As far as I can tell STEP format can be exported from fusion 360. We're not exactly swimming in free space so I'd rather generate them as needed, when someone asks. I can should be able to do that for multiple part assemblies too, by separating them in fusion 360 into individual parts. Thanks for the info re the viewer, it'll help anyone who want's a quick peek at the part. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I just put Fusion on out of curiosity.

Yes, it puts out STEP just fine.

Solidworks pulled it in reasonably well. It would need a little cleanup, but that's expected between formats.

I don't really run the 2d side of Solidworks much as we've got a draftsman that is very good, so I don't bother. However, it will produce very nice 2d drawings from the 3d solid with just a little help from the operator. I'll have to play around with it a little, and see what we can get. From the 2d, I believe I could kick out a DXF, which would pull in to any CAD out there.

I'm not suggesting we try storing all these different formats. That would indeed be a space hog. I think it's worth a little time to experiment with the process, and perhaps I'll do one or two of the parts, and post the results so we can discuss the outcome. I'll call it continuing education, so I can do it during some of my slow time at work... :lol: