J84 Snow caster

Drawings and schematics of parts for tractors, attachments, tools.
ras101 United States of America

J84 Snow caster

Post by ras101 »

This thread will cover some of the parts for a J84 snow caster. My aim here is a total covering of this model (I have two) and the modifications I make, such as updated jack shaft, chain tensioner, paddle, electric chute, etc. Things I really want to address here are electric chute rotation and etc., chute sticking, Jack shaft and chain tension, paddle update, etc. Anyone want to add more?
Attachments
Snow Caster Mule 4xx GTs v22.f3z
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 123 times
C18770 Bushing v2.f3d
(62.39 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
C16870 Idler Spring v2.f3d
(96.66 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
C16853 Idler Arm v13.f3d
(922.28 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
C15244 Chute Control Rod v2.f3d
(183.75 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
C14584 Chute Crank v1.f3d
(77.94 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
C14583 Joint Block v1.f3d
(77.38 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

Re: J84 Snow caster

Post by ras101 »

So, I want to shout out to "dmws106 (scott pearse)" on Ebay. Been looking for a new skid for my snow caster and found Scot had created the "perfect" solution. "Case Ingersoll C17775 snowcaster 3-7/16" SPACING 3/8" BOLT , POLY SKID SHOE".
From first glance the machining is perfect!! and I am looking forward to fitting this in my upgrade.

We definitely need more innovative suppliers of parts for our beloved GT's and for me this seems to be leaps and bounds better than the original skid. This guy is a home enthusiast ...

Post by ras101 »

So besides the fact that this section will provide all the CAD (fusion 360) drawings too when I make the modifications the changes will not need welding! Although I can and do weld (both Gas and electric) I prefer where possible to take the nut and bolt approach. Why do I prefer? I want to be able to remove and modify as I learn more. As I have mentioned elsewhere our GT's are an extension of ourselves. Do I know everything about what I want my GT to do? I want to be conservative here and say probably less than 20% right now...so I do not want to tie myself down with trying to make a permanent solution.
Another thing for me too is that my J series is over 45 years old!! I am god knows how many owners old now, yet to me every part needs to work as well as the original design? What I know about my caster first hand is that the chute rotation does not work well and binds. My skids are shot too. It clogs and does not throw snow well either, and that the housing needs a new coat of paint, etc...typical issues right?. I did replace the bearings, jack shaft, chain, etc.. so don't feel that bad, right?
I guess if you got this far you are probably where I am right now...
So my plan is to totally refurbish my caster for next winter season.. I want to sandblast and paint and then cover the whole inside of the housing with UHMW including the cute which will be automated. Hope you want to follow me here and "help" with this. OBTW this caster will be fitted to a GT with Cab too.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Following with interest Ray! :cheers:

I found that just new paint on the inside and all new bearings and chain made a huge difference for my very old snow caster.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Eugen...
While I have been off the grid with my health issues has never stopped my brain from working. In effect I found my brain being way more productive that my body permits. I am though but one person and yeah over 15 years dedicated to Case/Ingersoll tractors for my grass cutting and snow clearing needs and being an engineer my mind wonders too. For me solving engineering problems is like drinking tea and I am a Brit by birth!!! I do know though that working as a team that the end result is always better than the individual mind. As I share my ideas I really love push back and new ideas. I will share what I have and need but I implore everyone that reads my work to push back too and help to "create" the next level..

Post by ras101 »

Being an electronics engineer when I look for electronics parts I look into electronics retailers for parts rather than elsewhere. I have noticed that members that have automated the snow casters with chute rotation, relays, etc. tend to look to surplus places, etc. while they might give a good price they might not be the best choice either. My approach is different... I design my needs first and only then find a supplier (usually an electrical stockiest) that provides that.
I already have my motors for the automation (I will share where and when etc as I unravel my design). You will find That I have totally discarded the original spiral for the chute rotation and purchased a new spiral from Case for a later model, why? because the old one after 45 years is worn out!!
I will be adding new UHMW blocks to hold down the chute itself. The old hold downs were just not cutting it either.

Yeah my next refurbish of my caster will be my last and I want it to last another 50 years too.

Want to really help me? tell me things that really irritate you about your caster. really interested in any mods you made to help you too..

Post by ras101 »

So as I progressed my thoughts on my refurbishment and upgrade i looked at what I want to do. Thought long and hard, how do I connect the chute motor. I have seen other members welding on brackets, etc. and that will not be my approach.. not because I can't weld or have the equipment, I have, but it is not necessary and really restricts the operation and adjustment and stops/hinders future design upgrades too later. So my design will be bolt on! It needs to be simple!!! It needs to use readily available parts, and it needs to absorb some new parts from Case/Ingersoll too such as a new spiral and shaft (after all they are now almost 50 years old), and last but not least it needs to be simple to make with a basic tool set. still working my thoughts for the deflector.

Post by ras101 »

So I bought my seat motors from "All electronics" that periodically has them on sale for less than $20. The end of the spiral shaft has a non geared area about 1/2 inch long that on mine matches exactly the diameter of the spiral shaft. if you follow this posting you will find that I have sourced a flexible coupler that fits perfectly to the motor and spiral shaft. You will need to check back often as I currently have several projects in the fire if you want to learn more then I am still hopeful that you will and can help.

Post by ras101 »

OK guys, looking for help/ideas/whatever here. Firstly we are coming to the end of winter here in WNY (at least I hope so as we are now officially in spring). Time to think about removing the snow caster (yeah I have a back up) and move into my basement where I have heat, did I sat HEAT! A complete strip down is in order this year so right down to basic parts, etc. From my previous posts you already know some of my projects like coating the housing and chute with UHMW, etc. Also chain tension, painting, auger changes too are on the cards.etc..

So what am I looking for? YOUR HELP!!!!

Yes you can just follow along and that will be fine but the better approach is using your brains here too. Yes I have ideas, that I have thought about over several years, but I am still learning too. Want to follow this thread as I start this in the next few weeks? Great, want to make this the best update EVER! then help.. Your ideas are precious too. Your choice here guys and girls too.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm sorry, I don't really understand if you are discussing the drawings here or the possible real modifications on the J84 snow caster, or the device itself. As this topic is in the technical drawing sections, if something else is discussed maybe we should move it to another area of the forum.

Regarding the possible mods on the snow caster I'm afraid I cannot be of any help, I'm really happy with the way mine works right now.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: