Epoxy primer or not?

Techniques, prep for the in-experienced, primer types, and paint types and how to apply them professionally, good paint shops resources in your local area, etc.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Epoxy primer or not?

Post by RoamingGnome »

A lot of good tips and tricks mentioned -

If you are buying a respirator double check what application the filters are for - technically spraying paint with an isocyanate hardner should have a supplied air hood and you should technically be wearing a full body suit - of course that depends on the amount of your exposure... and as a Brit and an engineer you should love paper work - do a google search for the MSDS or SDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for what ever product you are using it will enlighten you as to all the pertinent risks...

Make sure you air compressor is blowing dry air and get some practice on a scrap panel or the underside of the hood to get a feel for it... and if you can get the panels horizontal they are a lot less likely to run and sag

Stay safe and have fun !
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So, I bought a "paint tent" from Rockler woodworking site! No way was I going to subject myself, or anyone else to the fumes, etc. So the tent is self supporting and quite large too and easy erect. I also bought a couple of spray guns from harbor freight and filters and cups, etc. and I already have a capable compressor. My next task is to find my "expert" and I will visit a few car repair sites in my area (I have one in mind) to find the ideal person.
I have my "Power Red" and an ongoing supply too. Still want recommendations for epoxy primer though.
I have a place that sand blasts my stuff on demand (no appointment necessary) and all the major parts, other than the hood are already done too. I hope this year will see my project take shape.. we shall see.
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:44 am
Harry wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:31 am I always use a proper respirator when painting, welding and grinding now. When your young you don't think about your health as much as when you get over the hill. We all have done stupid things when we were young. Maybe we should start a post the " the stupidest thing I've ever done."

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry
I learn about that stuff when I was a lot younger and working in autobody. Stupid is as stupid does and health issues because of it drove me out of the trade . Like you Harry I value what I learned but am a lot more carefull these days . Of all the dumb stuff I have done over the years , it would take a week to sort through them all . There is a lot of contenders for "The dumbest" .

Dave
So Dave, I really thank you for your response here. I guess when I posted this I was/am very unsure when using epoxy undercoat because of the fumes, etc. You said you were in Autobody so would love to hear your thoughts on respirators for this? For me I want maximum air, so no inside painting .
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:34 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:44 am
Harry wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:31 am I always use a proper respirator when painting, welding and grinding now. When your young you don't think about your health as much as when you get over the hill. We all have done stupid things when we were young. Maybe we should start a post the " the stupidest thing I've ever done."

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry
I learn about that stuff when I was a lot younger and working in autobody. Stupid is as stupid does and health issues because of it drove me out of the trade . Like you Harry I value what I learned but am a lot more carefull these days . Of all the dumb stuff I have done over the years , it would take a week to sort through them all . There is a lot of contenders for "The dumbest" .

Dave
So Dave, I really thank you for your response here. I guess when I posted this I was/am very unsure when using epoxy undercoat because of the fumes, etc. You said you were in Autobody so would love to hear your thoughts on respirators for this? For me I want maximum air, so no inside painting .
I spray outside with a standard chemical filter respirator in summer . Nothing I do is show room , it about durability for me . If I have to spray in winter I get my son to to it on a weekend at the shop he works at and pays his boss for the shop time . They have the fresh air system required by law . Read this . It from Saskatchewan , but is same rules :canada: wide for good reason .

https://www.ccohs.ca/otherhsinfo/alerts/alert54.txt
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder