Vanguard 12.5HP/14HP/16HP/18HP carburetor cleaning

MattA United States of America

Re: Vanguard 12.5HP/14HP/16HP/18HP carburetor cleaning

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:52 am
MattA wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:26 am Have you put a new kit into the carb and have you checked the intake and carb base gaskets? Are you removeing the jets to clean them and the passage ways ?image.png
This picture shows the exploded diagram .
David I removed the main jet and attempted to clean the main jet and every passage way I could find several times. Intake manifold to cylinder gaskets were replaced + I carefully cleaned both mating surfaces. The carb base and carb gaskets were not replaced at this time but were replaced in 2019 time frame the last time I pulled the carb for cleaning. The carb gasket is probably a 10 minute job... could easily try that. Carb base requires disconnecting the engine and pulling it apart. I have not put a new carb kit in. Sometimes the coils go on the Vanguards. I have not put any research into this recently.

I forgot to mention yesterday that several times when I shut the engine off it backfired. It normally does not do this. The last time I shut it down, I let it idle for 30 seconds or so and the engine did not backfire.

The main jet is not the only source of fuel at full throttle . The emulation tube and the thickening tube are part of the idle and mid range circuits . If these are restricted it will lean out as well . On many carbs air fuel siphon passages pass through the gasket between the top and bottom . If the gasket is no longer sealing in these areas it can also cause lean out . If your float is too low , this also will cause lean . Baddly worn throttle shaft holes will lean .
I ordered a new carb gasket, carb to intake and carb to air cleaner gasket (I know this isn't part of the problem but I might as well replace it while its apart). I might try to check for gasket leaks with a can of carb cleaner. I haven't tried this but there are plenty of how-to videos.
Ingersoll 4016
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

CaseIngersollNE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 pm Briggs can be very finicky and a pain. They to start they are extremely under fueled and run borderline lean when in good shape and from new.... It takes very little to make them unhappy as far as dirt and or bad fuel/water etc. We have most parts in stock including new OEM carbs, pumps, gaskets etc, you are close by you could also bring it by would be glad to check it out. Posting a video may or may not help.
Thanks Ryan. I may take you up on your offer if I can't get it resolved. We have an ultrasonic cleaner at work I could try cleaning the carb in.
Ingersoll 4016
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

Any time let us know. Feel free to call anytime too and bounce things off us maybe talking something else may trigger in my mind lol Ryan