Sickle mower

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
Timj United States of America

Sickle mower

Post by Timj »

So I'm going to blame this on crazycase. :lol: His post of the sickle mower got me thinking about it again :hm: . I really don't need to start another project, but that's my problem. :pullhair:

My father has a Allis Chalmers/Simplicity 4' sickle mower in my barn. Hasn't used it in years, but it works pretty well.
KIMG0162.JPG
Took a hard look at it :letmesee: and I think I can make a new mount for it and power it with a hydraulic motor. There's only a single pivot pin that fastens it to the mount. It could be switched back to the Simplicity easily.

So the wheels are turning. :writing:
Any thoughts?

Tim
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
crazycase Great Britain

Re: Sickle mower

Post by crazycase »

Tim
I like what your thinking and it will make a great project to follow here :worship:
I've got a ditch across the front of my place it has 4' or 5 ' foot of slope :peace:
Kind of scary with the Onan motor big wheel units don't want to limit the oil for that long of time
on the slope, the 444bf with the Kohler did it easily for years but the more powerful Onan's are a beast on longer grass and the ways things have been around here the grass try's, is winning mostly :oops:

cc
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I like the idea. I've had it in the back of my mind for some time actually. While we've kinda worked on eliminating a lot of the areas that would be nice to have one, there are still a few. Somewhere in the barn is a small sickle from a Bolens 2 wheel machine. That's one possibility. The other was rigging a 20, or 22" regular mower on to the boom of the backhoe, then slinging some weight out the other side.

Sickle would be a neater operation I think...
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Years ago at work I got to use a JD MT with sickle mower. It worked great for the first mowing (snow packed dead grass), but the cut grass was left in place and would plug up the sickle in later runs :headbash: . I ran into the same issue with a Jari mower I bought :cry: But they do look cool ;) They do work if you pick up the grass and use it for mulch, hopefully be for it goes to seed ;) Or feed it to the neighbours live stock, a couple lawn carts of grass in the feeder bunks goes over well :)

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by Timj »

I have a few areas we like to knock down once or twice a year to keep it from brushing in. I have an old horse drawn, ground driven mower I use now. It's more than the Ingy can handle except on the flat. The New Holland handles it but it's still a pain, and would be better sold to the Amish or a lawn ornament.

A hydra cutter would be nice, but..........

So I would have use for getting it going, it always worked good on the little Allis.
:geek: Tim
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

The more think about how the more I want one. We don't have a large area but I tend to let it grow high and rarely mow it.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

Got few minutes to bring the sickle mower up to the machine shed and lay it under the tractor to start figuring out the mounting. :letmesee:
KIMG0164.JPG
Like the mid mount for visibility, but thinking putting it on the 3pt may be easier and offer more height flexibility. :hm: Have seen it done both ways.
Gotta figure out a hydraulic motor too. Thinking a low speed like a tiller motor.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I would not like it behind. It's a pleasure to see the grass fall. Maybe in front. :cool:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
crazycase Great Britain

Post by crazycase »

Guy
It looks pretty good right there
Your thinking maybe right out back you may get more lift and fixability
Time will tell the story

cc

Post by Timj »

It was mid mounted on the Simplicity, made it easy to see. I agree, it's fun to see the grass and weeds fall. :48:

I had thought about making a bracket to adapt to the Simplicity bracket, but the Ingy is so much bigger/wider it comes half way to the center.

I should be able to weld up some frame work with a plate on top. Then set up the mounts the same as the mower deck, and use my existing mower mounts. Then mount the hydraulic motor on top of the plate. :geek: