ROPS

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
thebuildist United States of America

ROPS

Post by thebuildist »

Since I have nothing else to do, I've decided to fabricate and install a ROPS on my 6520PS. (Ok, "6520" is my own imaginary model. TECHNICALLY it's a 4020PS with a fully removable loader, which I consider to be an upgrade over a 6020. So I call it a 6520.)

Anyway, what I really want is a shade canopy. But a shade canopy mounts to your ROPS, so first things first.

The verticals are made of 2" EMT, and the horizontal is 3" EMT. I began by putting two bends in the vertical members, the first bend to conform the the slope/angle of the trailing edge of the fenders, and the next bend to turn back upward so that the member stands mostly plumb. In reality, the vertical members are angled just a bit toward the back. But it looks natural enough. The bends don't look factory at all, but I can ignore them. The truth is, if I ever do roll this machine the EMT will bend. But I think it should be strong enough to keep the tractor from rolling fully upside down, and I think it will be strong enough to at least leave a protected/sheltered pocket for the operator to crawl out from.

PXL_20220727_212611681.jpg
PXL_20220727_212928489.jpg
But the EMT has to be bolted to more than the fenders, because in case of a rollover, the fenders themselves aren't adequate to support the ROPS. The bottom end of the verticals needs to tie into something more significant. At first I intended to run a heavier pipe down to the axle and fab a clamp to go around the axle tube. But in my case, the way I built the 3 point hitch, there happens to be a u-shackle that holds the front end of the lifting arms, and I was able to drill through the back face of that u-shackle, and bolt the bottom end of my "heavy" support pipe right to that face. So in a rollover situation, the heavy pipes are securely bolted to the meat of the 3 pt. hitch, and the 3pt hitch is heavily bolted to the frame. All I'm really asking the fenders to do is prevent the ROPS from pivoting backward, and I think they'll be ok for that.
PXL_20220729_160655861.jpg
PXL_20220729_140059767.MP.jpg
PXL_20220730_134650126.jpg
PXL_20220730_134641689.jpg
For the "heavy" support pipes, I bent some 1 1/4 schedule 40 steel pipe to around 30 degrees, and drilled a 1/2" hole into the lower end and welded a 1/2" nut inside there. A 1/2" bolt goes through the back face of the lift arm u-shackle and screws into that nut.
PXL_20220729_155836258.jpg
PXL_20220729_140050914.jpg
PXL_20220730_134727321.jpg
Then the heavy support pipe leans against the fender wall, where I drilled through the fender,the emt, and into the heavy pipe. The upper bolt hole has a 5/16 nut welded in place. There's another bolt about 8" lower down, but for that one I had to use a rivet nut, because I cant get way down in there with a welder. So two 5/16" bolts serve to clamp/sandwich the fender to the EMT to the heavy support pipe.
PXL_20220730_134632988.MP.jpg
The final part is joining the horizontal 3" EMT to the two EMT verticals. For those kinds of joins, you can make a strong, decent looking joint by holesawing through one wall of the 3" pipe just big enough for the 2" pipe to slide through. Then you build an insert out of regular schedule 40 steel pipe that slips inside of and is welded to the 2" EMT. The top face of the insert is a hole-sawed slug from a piece of pipe, so it is outward-bowed such that it nestles against the inside wall of the 3" EMT. And from there you drill/tap/bolt that insert to the inner wall of the 3" EMT.

I intended to weld the upper joints all together after I bolted them together. But for this second I've just left them bolted together. I may weld them later, but I doubt it. In case of a rollover the strength of that joint isn't terribly critical, other than maintaining the spacing of the two verticals, and it will do that with no problem.

You can also see some extra welding around the upper end of the driver's side vertical, where I had to weld an extension onto it, because the reclaimed piece of EMT I was using was a bit too short. So I butt-joint welded on an extension, as well as a heavier inner sleeve to reinforce it there.
PXL_20220729_124021921.jpg
PXL_20220729_124025107.jpg
PXL_20220730_154213791.jpg
PXL_20220730_154225230.jpg
I'll mount some LED lights up here, and I'll either buy or build a canopy to put up here.
PXL_20220730_154237760.jpg
But that's for another day.

Bob
Last edited by thebuildist on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Re: ROPS

Post by Eugen »

Very neat! You're on a roll Bob!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

ROP is not a bad thing, you hope you never need it, but.... Plus it looks cooler and is more of a project than putting an umbrella on a broomstick.
:thumbsup:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

You will appreciate the sunshade . When the doors are off Frankie , the top acts as a sun shade . Makes a nice rain Hat too . So when you have nothing better to do . What you going to use to make the top out of . The factory built one are mostly plastic or fiber glass . I made mine out of a old piece of 1/4" lexan that was too scratched to use anymore . Heat formed it to shape and then sanded and painted it . Interested to see what you come up with .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by thebuildist »

Eugen wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:49 pm Very neat! You're on a roll Bob!
"on a roll". I see what you did there, Eugen!

Bob :)) :)) :))

Post by thebuildist »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:30 pm You will appreciate the sunshade . When the doors are off Frankie , the top acts as a sun shade . Makes a nice rain Hat too . So when you have nothing better to do . What you going to use to make the top out of . The factory built one are mostly plastic or fiber glass . I made mine out of a old piece of 1/4" lexan that was too scratched to use anymore . Heat formed it to shape and then sanded and painted it . Interested to see what you come up with .
That's a great suggestion, David. I've been mulling it over. I can buy something workable, not amazing, for about $90. I can buy something very nice/just right for about $180. I thought of the translucent wavy roof panels, but I think they're too hokey looking. I have some 1/8 sheet steel that would be good and strong, but hard to work with and heavy. And I think perhaps dangerous. If iever I rolled the machine, it could come down on me like a cleaver. . I have a piece of lexan that's large enough, but I think it's less than 1/8" thick, so it doesn't have much inherent strength. I'd have to give it some structure to rest on. 1/4" lexan would be great, but I don't have a big enough piece right now, and the last time I priced 4x8 sheets of 1/4" lexan it was over $100, so I'd be better to buy something pre-made than that. Coro-plast plastic is too flimsy and won't hold up to UV. Street sign-style aluminum would be fine, but I don't have any.

I briefly considered poor-man's fiberglass (latex house paint over cotton duck canvas stretched/glued over 1" foam insulation board) but that's too hokey.
I briefly considered actual fiberglass, but again the expense would be well over $100.

The $90 canopy product is vinyl stretched over a tubing frame. It would cost me about $35 for the tubing (1/2" EMT) and around $15 for the vinyl. So for some labor and $50 I could make an acceptable product. But I would rather have a rigid canopy if I could.

So I'm still mulling it all over, hoping there's something my brain hasn't presented to me yet.

But I hadn't even thought of lexan, so thank you for that! Thinking of lexan makes me think of FRP. I might stop at Home Depot and get a feel for how rigid/self-supporting FRP would be...

hmm...

Bob
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Looks great Bob!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Post by thebuildist »

Ok, I think I may have found my canopy, and it's not FRP. FRP apparently cannot be cleanly bent. And it's not UV rated. So "no" to FRP.

But what about these?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grq/ ... 04505.html

cut a 55 gallon drum vertically and unfold it into a flat-ish arc shape.
cut it into a canopy shape, rounding the edges.
Paint it as desired.
Install rubber sheet metal edge protector around the canopy's perimeter.
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Door-Edge-Gu ... B07DKZRV2K

Make support brackets and install to ROPS.

Place the canopy on top of the support brackets and attach with drill-tip roofing screws.

Total cost $40 plus metal scraps, paint, and screws. A complete bargain. It should resemble this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECOTRIC-Trac ... /465967089

I know that a barrel will spring open a little bit as soon as you vertically slice it. Any guesses/predictions on how cleanly I can flatten it out to a gentle arc? Is it just going to want to kink and crinkle and look awful?

Bob
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Maybe a golf cart roof if you can find one cheap. @Jancoe 's doesn't look bad. :106: the flat top, little one that Ford used to have on their small tractors would look good too. :cheers:

:rofl: or a barrel :clap:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by thebuildist »

@Jancoe can you post a picture of your canopy?

Bob