soft side cab panels

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: soft side cab panels

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:25 am So is there a designated source of heat in these cabs? Or is it just the body heat that accumulates in a sealed space?

I had an old Volvo that I had to drive through the winter, and it had no heater core.
I' tried a 12v heater/windshield defroster. It did nothing.
And I tried running a 5/8 soft copper pipe across the dashboard, which I hooked up to the engine water. That pipe go so hot it would burn you.
But did nothing to warm the car up.

And I had to drive a topless Jeep to college for about a month in northern Illinois in January. No top, no doors, no windshield. I'd wear full-body Carhartts and snowmobile mittens and a full-face helmet. Driving that thing 60mph when it was below zero outside was COLD. The worst part was around my jaw and ears. I didn't have a good balaclava, so I would try to stuff a towel up in the helmet gaps. But the wind would find a way in, and it felt like needles stabbing my ears and neck. After a while I got a windshield installed on that Jeep, and that felt wonderful. SO. MUCH. WARMER.

So I'm trying to imagine being in a cab at 20F or below and how much I'd call it "heated."

Just being out of the wind and the snow spray has to make a huge difference. Do you even need an actual heat source in there?

Just me rambling.

Bob
Body heat and heat from tractor . But getting out of the wind and not being covered in snow is huge in it's self . Being an enclosed space , must be wary of noxious gases and nut just from the tractor . Before the cab on Frankie I had to also were a skidoo suit with full faced helmet ect. I am putting an extra internally regulated alt. (35a singe wire ) on the new tractor to runn all accessories I want . Don't "heat so much as warm air across window . I am looking at the idea of an 12v window defroster like we had in the back of the old cars to blow fresh warmed air across front and back windows .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:24 am You guys with your cushy cabs :) must be nice :D
The wrecker drive that brought me and the car home said something like that when he saw the cab :hm: I hold him the truth, I got mine at a local auction for $30 :))

:cheers:
Gordy
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

thebuildist wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:25 am So is there a designated source of heat in these cabs? Or is it just the body heat that accumulates in a sealed space?

I had an old Volvo that I had to drive through the winter, and it had no heater core.
I' tried a 12v heater/windshield defroster. It did nothing.
And I tried running a 5/8 soft copper pipe across the dashboard, which I hooked up to the engine water. That pipe go so hot it would burn you.
But did nothing to warm the car up.

And I had to drive a topless Jeep to college for about a month in northern Illinois in January. No top, no doors, no windshield. I'd wear full-body Carhartts and snowmobile mittens and a full-face helmet. Driving that thing 60mph when it was below zero outside was COLD. The worst part was around my jaw and ears. I didn't have a good balaclava, so I would try to stuff a towel up in the helmet gaps. But the wind would find a way in, and it felt like needles stabbing my ears and neck. After a while I got a windshield installed on that Jeep, and that felt wonderful. SO. MUCH. WARMER.

So I'm trying to imagine being in a cab at 20F or below and how much I'd call it "heated."

Just being out of the wind and the snow spray has to make a huge difference. Do you even need an actual heat source in there?

Just me rambling.

Bob
Bob, The best tractor with cab was my 224-78. It had the engine mounted flywheel forward. With the warm air being blown to the rear, all that was needed to heat the cab was a tarp draped over the hood and down both side to the frame, then prop the tarp and the front cab canvas open about 3-4 inches on the sides. At -10f after 5 minutes the hat and gloves came off, in another 10 minutes the coat came off. Imagine blowing snow at -10f in sneaker jeans and a tee shirt :D On the cautionary side I made a short exhaust stack for the 224 because I could smell the exhaust in the cab.

With other tractors with the flywheel to the rear I have yet to run ductwork from the front of the tractor back to the cab.

:cheers:
Gordy