Page 1 of 1

ballast front

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am
by THEOTHERHALF
hi group, I recently put together a front mule to add some weight when towing a wood splitter this is on a 444 with 3 point, total weight is 65 pounds when installed, I tried to find a front weight limit in past posts but could not find one, could someone enlighten me where I should be looking for front weight limit, really enjoy this site, thanks for keeping all the case info available. Kyle

Re: ballast front

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:16 pm
by Spike188
@THEOTHERHALF

https://manuals.ccigt.com/More/p31.4.pdf

Page 43 shows a weight bracket and 40 lb weights. I did not find the number of weights that the bracket will carry, but at least 3, maybe 4.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:30 pm
by Spike188
https://manuals.ccigt.com/OperatorManua ... marked.pdf

On page 8 is recommended weight and part numbers. With the tiller it recommends 150 lbs added to the weight box.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:19 pm
by Timj
You see some running alot of weight up front, multiple suitcase weights, stackes of d-10's, or weights.
My take is to run only as much as is needed to keep the front planted and take it off when it's not needed. The extra weight just wears on the front end and makes steering harder. But doing wheelies and not being able to turn is no fun and unsafe too.

Good question on if there's a published limit. :highfive:

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:47 pm
by DavidBarkey
THEOTHERHALF wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am hi group, I recently put together a front mule to add some weight when towing a wood splitter this is on a 444 with 3 point, total weight is 65 pounds when installed, I tried to find a front weight limit in past posts but could not find one, could someone enlighten me where I should be looking for front weight limit, really enjoy this site, thanks for keeping all the case info available. Kyle
I perfer to run when ever possible weight split between the wheels (wet dry or both ) and bracket load weather it is front or rear . Doing this splits the load between "sprung and unsprung weight reducing load in any one direction .
65 lbs is well within the limits of 150lbs recomended for a tiller as per Spike188 upload .

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:46 pm
by propane1
Would I be right in saying 4 weights. On page 84 of that manual it shows the parts and amount of them for the kit.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:15 pm
by THEOTHERHALF
just want to say thank you guys, opened my eyes to some good info that was right in front of me ,it is appreciated. Kyle

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:23 pm
by BobAfton
This is what I have for my 446. Four JD 42 lb suitcase weights. Approximately 168 lbs The bracket is made so it will carry 1,2,3 or 4 weights, depending on the task.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:48 pm
by Eugen
BobAfton wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:23 pm This is what I have for my 446. Four JD 42 lb suitcase weights. Approximately 168 lbs The bracket is made so it will carry 1,2,3 or 4 weights, depending on the task.
That is a really nice front bracket!

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:37 pm
by BobAfton
Eugen, thanks, my son made that for me. Here's a couple more pics with specs.
Bob

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:46 pm
by Eugen
I appreciate that, it will inspire me to build mine.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:39 pm
by propane1
Looks great. I don’t have any rear attachments for my 446. But would still be neat to have a weight set up on the front. For display and parades.
But really Bob, using John Deere weights. !!!!!
Just fooling with ya. :D Looks good. Paint colour matched nice.

Noel

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:47 pm
by Timj
I agree, very nice Bob. :thumbsup:
I've been wanting to build something that I can vary the weight and also hang on my mule bracket when I have the Hydra vac on. I guess I could do like Bob's as the mule for the AHRM doesn't have any pulleys and could be ran for 3pt work.
Rambled myself right into the solution. :))

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:10 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:39 pm But really Bob, using John Deere weights. !!!!!
Noel
I too have no shame using jd weights. :D but as soon as I getting a chance they'll get painted.

24CD1473-26BA-4243-B56A-E81737B979C6.jpeg

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:22 pm
by propane1
I kinda thought those were JD weights. Tsk tsk, Eugen. You should know better. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:55 pm
by thebuildist
I ran 418 lbs on the front of my 442 a while back, to maximize the lift capacity of my three point.

I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it worked for what I needed. Anything under two or three hundred pounds would surely be fine.

Bob

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm
by DavidBarkey
BobAfton wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:23 pm This is what I have for my 446. Four JD 42 lb suitcase weights. Approximately 168 lbs The bracket is made so it will carry 1,2,3 or 4 weights, depending on the task.
Nicely done Bob . Clean and efficient .

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:38 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Eugen the 2 pic.s of Bob weight bracket with measurements would be a nice addition to the how to manuals for future reference .

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm
by BobAfton
Noel and Eugen - I know, I know. Yes John Deere weights. Here are the JD H78062 Combine Weights on the back wheels, sand blasted, primered and painted Power Red.
Bob

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:18 pm
by Eugen
@DavidBarkey Makes sense, I'll add the two pictures to our library, unless @BobAfton has other drawings or a "how to" document?

I suppose the measurements of Bob's front bracket are a custom fit for his own weights, which are a JD product. Other book case weights might have a different width and or height.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:21 pm
by Eugen
BobAfton wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm Noel and Eugen - I know, I know. Yes John Deere weights. Here are the JD H78062 Combine Weights on the back wheels, sand blasted, primered and painted Power Red.
Bob
Bob, in my opinion it would be a nice touch to have your rear wheel weights have the same colour as the front wheel rims. :) nevertheless, the Power Red is much better than the original yellow.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:32 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:18 pm @DavidBarkey Makes sense, I'll add the two pictures to our library, unless @BobAfton has other drawings or a "how to" document?

I suppose the measurements of Bob's front bracket are a custom fit for his own weights, which are a JD product. Other book case weights might have a different width and or height.
Seeing as JD weights are more plentiful than most. All you need is a little bondo and Power red, by by deer . Just saying it open up possiblities.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:39 pm
by THEOTHERHALF
I believe I have same rear weights on my 444,if I figure out how I will post a picture on here,-Kyle

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:44 am
by thebuildist
Maybe not super-convenient to make use of, but super affordable if you have Amazon prime:

45lb cast iron weight for $31 with free shipping. Not too shabby.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKSF19N

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am
by DavidBarkey
thebuildist wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:44 am Maybe not super-convenient to make use of, but super affordable if you have Amazon prime:

45lb cast iron weight for $31 with free shipping. Not too shabby.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKSF19N
Looks like great deal . I looked into them and it another $45 shipping and duties for :canada: . :cuss:

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:26 am
by thebuildist
:O

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:51 pm
by Harry
I purchased some suitcase weights awhile ago. They do not come up for sale often in my area. They were gray in color and no markings on them at all. I’ve never used the but to hold down a tent once in the summer. I figured if I ever needed weight for plowing I would have them. I purchased 6 and they are 45lbs each. I guess I should add a weight bracket to my list of projects. :peace: