clutch problems

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

clutch problems

Post by DavidBarkey »

I have had a difficult time last year getting the clutch on the 222 adjusted so have clearance but enough pressure so as not to slip . It is the early style with the clip . That being said the bolt IS left hand thread on this one . Not sure about the manual saying right hand . Must be missing something , or this off something else?? . So went through the clutch with fine tooth come and discovered that between the ware on the fork and the bearing supports I was not getting enough engagement . The fork was .010 under and assumed the supports were the same . built the fork up with weld and ground/ filed until it was .010" over size too make up the difference as I cant weld and machine the supports . I have not put it under load yet but already happy with the way it locks down when engaged. One the 48" deck is ready (hopefully tomorrow ) I will load test it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: clutch problems

Post by Eugen »

That's interesting Dave, but not very surprising. When I got my first 220 I had trouble with the clutch not holding. Went through a lot of manuals and found what was supposed to be exactly the manual for that clutch. But yes, some wear on any of the parts will make the exact adjustment described by the manual useless. Then I gave up in finding on the "correct" procedure and went logically, which parts need to be able to rotate and which parts don't, and as a clutch, make sure the friction plates are far apart enough that when the lever is not engaged they don't rub, and when the lever is engaged they are tightly together. Took some time to get it where I wanted, but after that it worked just fine. Of course, if one has access to the right parts to replace all that has worn out, the correct procedure will work. :creeper:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:45 pm I have had a difficult time last year getting the clutch on the 222 adjusted so have clearance but enough pressure so as not to slip . It is the early style with the clip . That being said the bolt IS left hand thread on this one . Not sure about the manual saying right hand . Must be missing something , or this off something else?? . So went through the clutch with fine tooth come and discovered that between the ware on the fork and the bearing supports I was not getting enough engagement . The fork was .010 under and assumed the supports were the same . built the fork up with weld and ground/ filed until it was .010" over size too make up the difference as I cant weld and machine the supports . I have not put it under load yet but already happy with the way it locks down when engaged. One the 48" deck is ready (hopefully tomorrow ) I will load test it .
just making sure we're on the same page Dave, you have a snap ring like this on the end of the shaft?

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 13.17.24.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

The old style can be a PITA to adjust. I had one on my 446 that is now dedicated to move snow. I would get it so it would work then in short order it would start slipping. I baked on a new clutch lining and it worked fine then back to adjusting the shims. At that time I was a novice to Case GT's and had no knowledge of the EZ adjust clutch. I got fed up with it and decided to go to an electric clutch. Again being a novice to Case GT's I didn't know about short frames and long frames. So I cut the frame added the amount I needed to fit in the electric clutch and added a piece of steel channel that I custom cut to fit the frame on each side. Welded it up with E7018 and it was good to go. I never had a problem with the clutch after that. Now it's used with a snow caster and I don't plan on taking it off.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:45 pm I have had a difficult time last year getting the clutch on the 222 adjusted so have clearance but enough pressure so as not to slip . It is the early style with the clip . That being said the bolt IS left hand thread on this one . Not sure about the manual saying right hand . Must be missing something , or this off something else?? . So went through the clutch with fine tooth come and discovered that between the ware on the fork and the bearing supports I was not getting enough engagement . The fork was .010 under and assumed the supports were the same . built the fork up with weld and ground/ filed until it was .010" over size too make up the difference as I cant weld and machine the supports . I have not put it under load yet but already happy with the way it locks down when engaged. One the 48" deck is ready (hopefully tomorrow ) I will load test it .
just making sure we're on the same page Dave, you have a snap ring like this on the end of the shaft?

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 13.17.24.png
Yes sir . thous the confusion on my part .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder