loader build resumes!

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
thebuildist United States of America

Re: loader build resumes!

Post by thebuildist »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:47 pm @thebuildist Bob , a good point about it being a lawn mower for the most of the time . Mine is a full time tractor , never a mower . The one of the down sides to extra is trying to stop it . I had to put disk breaks on mine . Ya if you are not running lugs which a not good for mowing chains will be a must . Yes they can be a pain to in stall on loaded tires . How much weight did you get out of the RV fluid ?
It added 118 lbs per tire.

And I already own the necessary brake drums. And some calipers that I think will work. And a couple of brake master cylinder assemblies.

So... I'm thinking independent disk brakes are in my future. But it could be a while. I haven't yet figured out the geometry for where to put the master cylinders and how the split pedals will drive them. But I'm thinking about it.

Meanwhile, here's my fancy counterweight being constructed:
inside weight box.png
filling weight box2.png
inside weight box3.png
I made a single re-bar ring and hung it from the main steel through-shaft, about 1" off the bottom, so that the steel rebar is providing the "lift" for the weight of the concrete. I cant imagine it matters at all in the near term, but 20 years from now it could keep the thing more together.

Bob
Attachments
filling weight box.png
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Are you not worried it'll split further down the road? I see you're not using any steel mesh for reinforcement.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Eugen wrote:Are you not worried it'll split further down the road? I see you're not using any steel mesh for reinforcement.
Was thinking the same too. I busted up a fireplace hearth at my old house that had probably 20 ft of chicken wire in it. What a pain that was to bust up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post by thebuildist »

Well, I THOUGHT about mesh wire. But the thing is that it literally does nothing but hang around. No impacts, no pressure, etc. So I figure the only stress it will have is the tension of hanging from the crossbar. And that's what the rebar I did put in is for.

You may actually be right in the end. But I don't see any reason it shouldn't hold together.

Bob
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:04 pm Are you not worried it'll split further down the road? I see you're not using any steel mesh for reinforcement.
I have had those 2 concreate weight hanging off a 1" bar with a horse shoe shaped rebar weld it to it to keep from spinning on it . No cracking here , and I have forgot to lift it many of times before moving tractor . What Bob has done will hold just fine . imo.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

I will agree with Bob. His design has the concrete setting on the rebar. If the concrete was suspended by pins in the top then mesh might be best. Concrete is strongest in compression mode.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH

Post by thebuildist »

The counterweight has now set up for 72 hours. It won't reach full strength for several more weeks. But at this point it ought to be at 70% of its eventual strength.

So after exercising extreme patience by waiting for 3 whole days, tomorrow I will drill out the pins for the three-point lift arms, and weld on some kind of ears for the top link to engage in. And pick up the new counterweight for the first time!

Then I'll undoubtedly drive around here looking to pick a fight with the first heavy thing I can find!

:78:
Attachments
PXL_20220729_002601355.jpg
PXL_20220727_145739436.jpg

Post by thebuildist »

By the way, I know everyone is probably bored to tears of this topic, but one last detail: I went ahead and removed the loader a couple evenings ago so that I could keep the tractor locked up well I was not actively working on it from day to day.

And it took almost exactly 5 minutes to remove. And would have taken less, except that my steel saw horse turns out to be a little bit too short with the handles of the loader valve sticking up in the air. So the next morning I added some leg extensions to the sawhorse and got its main bar moved up higher. So in its final form I think I can expect it to take about 4 to 4 and 1/2 minutes to install or remove the loader from the machine.

Which I am very pleased with.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I’ve enjoyed this series, even though your technical knowledge surpasses mine by quite a bit! Very impressive work. If I can make a request I’d like to see a video of the loader being attached / disconnected.

Post by thebuildist »

I'd be happy to. Next time I install it I'll film it.

Bob