Page 1 of 1

60" Mowing deck

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:57 pm
by Harry
I came across a blower vac and a mowing deck. The mowing deck is supposed to be a 60" deck. Does anyone know about this deck and what it fits?

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry

Re: 60" Mowing deck

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:04 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Well, it looks like it started out life as a 60" deck for a 400 series tractor. Since I don't see any front bracket or mule drive, I'm wondering is someone added the big gauge wheels and was/trying to use it as a rear mount deck?

Bob

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:18 pm
by Spike188
@myerslawnandgarden Bob , it looks like an RM 60 with "Woods" gage wheels. Wood underbelly used the large swivel gage wheels. The Woods mowers were sold as finish mowers for Yanmar tractors and possibly New Holland.

Spike

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:27 pm
by Timj
I agree with Bob and Spike, someone was modifying it for a rear mount or to use on a different tractor.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 pm
by Spike188
@Harry check the front corners of the deck under the gage wheel gussets. You may find the original RM60 gage wheel mounts or evidence of mount removal.

https://manuals.ccigt.com/PartsManuals/ ... marked.pdf

See page 11 for gage wheel locations

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:56 pm
by Jancoe
That's a deck for a 400 series. Not a rm deck. My guess is someone had a very uneven yard and the deck took too much off the top in areas and scalped the lawn. Someone's fix was to add those large wheels to the front to keep the front corners from diving in. Those wheels have enough room to clear the front tires on the tractor. Just my .02...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:39 pm
by Spike188
@Jancoe You are correct about it being a 400 series deck, making it an M60 and not an RM60. Also the Vac was not designed for use with the 60" deck. But at the right price they would still be a good addition to an acrage.

Spike

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Spike188 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:39 pm @Jancoe You are correct about it being a 400 series deck, making it an M60 and not an RM60. Also the Vac was not designed for use with the 60" deck. But at the right price they would still be a good addition to an acrage.

Spike
Would be possibly an M48 or earlier, never was a M60 which is confusing to many. Another reason that I think it was modified for rear use is the fact that the RH side has also been cut out to allow for grass discharge. Poor man's hydracutter?

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:16 pm
by Spike188
@myerslawnandgarden Bob it it is a J48. it took me hours of searching threads and websites to find it. The model number is very confusing to say the least. It is pictured on page 2 of this manual.

https://manuals.ccigt.com/PartsManuals/ ... marked.pdf

Spike

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:49 am
by propane1
Interesting. Blades must be timed some how. Any info on that ?

Noel

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:38 am
by MattA
Propane57 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:49 am Interesting. Blades must be timed some how. Any info on that ?

Noel
The two outer blades are timed together and the middle blade is timed 90° out of phase. I don't have any good pictures of the assembled belt drive but I'm sure others on here do.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 am
by Harry
I first want to thank everyone for their input. I have not seen the deck or vac in person. The person I purchased a blade from last fall had these in his backyard on a pallet covered up. It was raining the day I was there and he didn't want to mess up the lawn to move them. So I never saw them but told him I would come back this spring to take a look. He offered them to me at $50 each and I told him that was good for me and we shook hands on it but he would not take any money. I contacted him yesterday to see if he still had them and if it was dry enough to move them. He txt me the pics and said he did have them but it was still wet in the area where they were. He also mentioned Now he wants #375 for both. I returned the message with I thought we had a deal at $100 for both. He said he did offer them to me at that price because I was there and I had purchased the blade and he liked talking to me about tractors. Since the price of gas, food and everything else has gone up, so has the price of the parts.

When I saw the pics of the deck I was confused on what it fit and come off of. He claimed it came with his 448 tractor that he purchased but he never used either the blower or the deck. He did a sprucing up of the 448 and was selling it for 5K. I'm thinking of going to his house to look at them and discuss with him about the parts. I don't need the blower but thought the motor would be nice to have in case mine craps out. The deck I don't need either but it would be nice to go take a look and try to see what it really is. I'm still confused about the deck!

Harry

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:47 am
by thebuildist
That strikes me is a maintenance nightmare. If it really were 60 in wide then at least you're getting a wide deck. But as a 48 inch deck there's so many options that don't require the belt timing.

My two cents.

Bob

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am
by Timj
Harry, if you look in the front of the manual Spike posted the link to, the what model it fits shows an after this serial number for the 60" deck. I believe this is for the switch to the long frame tractors.

That's quite a price increase, :O

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:00 am
by Eugen
Don't you find it a bit bitter when people turn around and change the price on you? When I got the 226 we had a handshake on 500. A little later he says he wants 800 on account he adds a broken deck. I still got it though. :45:

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:37 am
by Harry
Timj wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am Harry, if you look in the front of the manual Spike posted the link to, the what model it fits shows an after this serial number for the 60" deck. I believe this is for the switch to the long frame tractors.

The manual Spike posted is for a four-digit tractor with right hand discharge deck. The pics I posted is definitely a left hand discharge deck.

Harry

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am
by Timj
Harry wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:37 am
Timj wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am Harry, if you look in the front of the manual Spike posted the link to, the what model it fits shows an after this serial number for the 60" deck. I believe this is for the switch to the long frame tractors.

The manual Spike posted is for a four-digit tractor with right hand discharge deck. The pics I posted is definitely a left hand discharge deck.

Harry
He posted another manual for a j48 deck, I didn't open the first one he posted for the RM deck. :D
This is the chart I was talking about.
Screenshot_20220525-100655.png

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:43 am
by Spike188
Our 4016 / RM60 cut over 30 minutes off of our mow time. The RM60 does require operator care by avoiding scalping, rocks, and large branches. This means that staying 6" from the edge of the gravel drive is a must. The big advantage to the RM60 is being able to reach deeper under evergreens without the operator being scrapped out of the seat.

I have had to time the deck once since 2017 due to scalping on the garden parameter. We use a 48" deck and heavily weighted 446 to do our banks and driveway edge. The 4016 does not have weights and will spin out on the drive banks.

Spike.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm
by Harry
I went to look at the parts this afternoon. The deck did have the arms holding the front wheels welded to the deck. The chute also was welded to the deck which I'm not sure is original or not. The right side someone had cut out part of the deck for what ever reason. The seller claimed it was under his 448 when he purchased it. The blades did spin freely and would probably work for the right buyer, but that was not me. The blower motor did turn but the blower housing was dented in badly. I asked him if he would separate them and he said sure. He asked me what I would pay for it and I responded with that he offered it to me last year for $50. He thought it was worth at least $100 so I walked away.

Harry

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:38 pm
by propane1
Interesting reading. Thanks guys. That deck is sorta like the MF 1650, 1655 and 1855 tractor decks. Blades are timed. Not sure how they do it on the MF decks, but I know they use a coged type belt like a car timing belt. And are very hard to get parts or belts, apparently.

Noel

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:56 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Propane57 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:38 pm Interesting reading. Thanks guys. That deck is sorta like the MF 1650, 1655 and 1855 tractor decks. Blades are timed. Not sure how they do it on the MF decks, but I know they use a coged type belt like a car timing belt. And are very hard to get parts or belts, apparently.

Noel
Belts and sprockets are readily available for the Case/Ingersoll 60" decks, not so for the Massey models mentioned. Massey also built and labeled those tractors for Snapper at the time.

Bob

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:11 pm
by Seabee
Definitely a J48 deck. That makes it the first model of 60" for the 448, and was also used with the 446's with the longer frames. They are easy to tell apart because of the framing on the front side of the deck. This was the first. The newer 60" decks for LH throw do not have the bracing on the front of the decks as did the J version. I like the newer decks better for a few reasons, but love the strength of that front bracing. The newer decks have so much easier (better) mounting hardware than the old decks. But,the newer decks fold under in front if they come in contact with something firmly planted in that front area.

The RH throw 60" decks (RM60)are basically the later model of the LH throw decks, except they are mirror images of each other.

I don't think I would want that deck with the front wheels attached. I suspect it didn't turn out well. For $50 the spare parts would have been worth that!

I have had all versions of the 60" decks (J48, M48, and RM60 decks). I like how they mow, cut and speed my job, particularly mowing under my pine trees, and not getting raked off on some smaller trees. I do not like how one tree root, or anything that stops the blades even momentarily requires a set of new belts to replace at least one broken belt!

Bill Moyer.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm
by Jancoe
As the guy I bought a tractor from with the rm60 said.. "When they are in time they cut time, and when they are out of time it cost alot of time". I didn't have large enough yard at my previous house at the time so I ended up selling it to Spike a few years back on one of his trips to the US. It has given him more time to find more projects. Your welcome. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 pm
by Timj
@Harry I think walking away was a good decision. :highfive:
:geek: Tim

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:21 am
by Harry
I just thought it was funny the guy wouldn't let it go for the price he quoted me. He told me it would be setting in his backyard if I changed my mind later down the road. People are funny and sometimes you can't figure them out! He still hasn't sold his 448 and he has purchased a new Kubota with a loader and mowing deck to but his grass. Walk away shake your head and see what pops up next! If it wasn't so close to my location, I would have never gone to look at it.

Harry

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:29 am
by Eugen
@Harry dealing with wishy washy sellers always leaves you with that unsettling feeling, sounds like it wasn't meant for you after all! :cheers:

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:17 am
by Timj
Maybe it's true, we are a bunch of dinosaurs, slowly becoming extinct. The days of a handshake and your words making a deal and standing behind it are going bye bye. :112:

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:33 am
by Eugen
Timj wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:17 am Maybe it's true, we are a bunch of dinosaurs, slowly becoming extinct. The days of a handshake and your words making a deal and standing behind it are going bye bye. :112:
Maybe we're just getting fewer. I still meet people out there who occasionally say "no need for a deposit, your word is good enough for me, the item's yours". On the other hand there's plenty of the other type. I sold a sofa about 3 weeks ago, at a really low price, in very good shape, so I had a lot of calls. The first guy who wanted to get it said he comes in the weekend to get it, ok. He never calls again. I call him on Saturday when he was supposed to pick it up, he says he's coming at 2. Well, he doesn't show up. I call him, he says his car broke and he's taking it to a mechanic, but his friend will bring him to get the sofa. Sure enough, he doesn't come. I can understand now why some people want a deposit. This guy messed my afternoon pretty good. :D In the end I sold it to another guy who really stuck to his word.

I kinda expect all kind of attitudes from people nowadays, but when I get that feeling that I'm dealing with someone wishy washy I try to let go of the deal, no matter how good it looks. Except when I got the big backhoe LOL there were red flags and I still went through with it. :rofl: yeah, oh well!