Balancing RM series deck DD Blades

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
MattA United States of America

Balancing RM series deck DD Blades

Post by MattA »

The RM and AHRM decks 48" and smaller all use a "DD" style blade adapter which makes balancing with a blade balance a bit of a guessing game. I ended up buying a 1000-26 Magna-Matic blade adapter (link below) which did not fit in my brand new DD blade and the adapter did not fit on my balancer. I ended up sanding the adapter down by hand so that it just barely fit into my new DD blade. Then I drilled the adapter hole out from 9/16" to 5/8" with a stepped drill bit to fit my balancer. The adapter actually fits right in my DD blades I've used for the past few years just fine. Its very tight in the new blade.

I found that two of my three blades were quite a bit out of balance and corrected the balance issue. Seemed as if the blades were slightly longer in one direction. I think my deck vibration is a bit better but its hard to tell with the other sources of vibration. The spring loaded pulley on my mule drive oscillates up and down. I haven't figured out how to fix this. The pulleys and the spring are new. Tension is set correctly per the manual. My hydravac also seems to be a major source of vibration. I may kick off a separate topic to deal with this.

https://www.magna-matic-direct.com/prod ... tsman.html
The balancer looks off balance because its on my tractors hood.
The balancer looks off balance because its on my tractors hood.
Balancer 2.jpg
New unbalanced blade.
New unbalanced blade.
I measure the height of each side of the blade to make sure it's level.
I measure the height of each side of the blade to make sure it's level.
Ingersoll 4016