A crazy thought, your input please.

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
propane1 Canada

A crazy thought, your input please.

Post by propane1 »

Just another crazy thought to ponder on. Maybe just a ramble, I might have to much time on my hands to be thinking of these things. Should be cutting wood. Hehe.

Any way, my son and I were chatting the other day about all the stuff we’ve modified over the years. Good and bad results. So he sad, we’ve never modified a mowing deck ! I said no I guess not. So I got to thinking and decks seem to plug up some with grass. Some decks are better than others to get rid of the grass. Most decks have the exit part enlarged as it goes across the deck so the grass will flow out better. Say in a Case 48” mower the right blade throws into the middle blade, the right and middle blade, more so the middle blade then throw into the left blade, which then throws most of the grass out. So my crazy thinking is, if the middle blade was spun a bit faster than the right blade, and the left blade spun a bit faster than the middle blade, do you think this would help to get rid of the grass.
I can’t see it cutting any different by the change in blade speeds.
What do you think. :106:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: A crazy thought, your input please.

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 am Just another crazy thought to ponder on. Maybe just a ramble, I might have to much time on my hands to be thinking of these things. Should be cutting wood. Hehe.

Any way, my son and I were chatting the other day about all the stuff we’ve modified over the years. Good and bad results. So he sad, we’ve never modified a mowing deck ! I said no I guess not. So I got to thinking and decks seem to plug up some with grass. Some decks are better than others to get rid of the grass. Most decks have the exit part enlarged as it goes across the deck so the grass will flow out better. Say in a Case 48” mower the right blade throws into the middle blade, the right and middle blade, more so the middle blade then throw into the left blade, which then throws most of the grass out. So my crazy thinking is, if the middle blade was spun a bit faster than the right blade, and the left blade spun a bit faster than the middle blade, do you think this would help to get rid of the grass.
I can’t see it cutting any different by the change in blade speeds.
What do you think. :106:

Noel

I think for our wives we are Not neighbours . Oh we could get into a lot of trouble together . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: There is of course only one way to find out . Start with 2 identical decks and change the pulleys on one and try them on the same tractor on the same lawn on the same day. Me I want to build from scratch a 52" rear discharge for the BOF.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :78: :78: :78:
Be fun to do Dave. Hehe.

Noel.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

:wife: :wife: :wife: :wife: :wife:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

I will have to do some researching deck specifications again but the blade tip speeds are government regulated. That could be to minimize projectile launch and travel.

A rear discharge deck has always been my dream. I have thought of modifying a case deck to do rear discharge.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Interesting thought, Noel but I wonder if the stepped increase would have an advantage over just increasing all evenly? :7: the amount of material would be the same but would clear quicker. :hm:
Blade tip speed has been increased on newer mowers to improve cut quality. There has been a number of threads about using a drive pulley from a smaller deck on a 48" to increase speed. We'll have to see what Spike comes up with and how it compares.
I have some issues with plugging my RM deck in heavy/thick grass, mostly due to the shoot deflector not clearing. I've seen alot of decks with the deflector removed but if you launch something, you may regret it. :114:

That wood is not going to cut itself. :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I replaced my worn out RM48 deck drive spindle with an RM38 drive spindle. Basically the deck drive pulley is smaller which increases the blade speed. In deep grass the drive and internal drive belts would slip and eventually wear out if I didn't slow down enough. With the RM38 spindle, my deck cuts great bit if the grass is deep enough or thick enough I can overwhelm my 16HP vanguard engine. I don't know if I could overwhelm the engine as easily with the RM48 spindle because the belts would slip.
Attachments
RM series deck spindle comparison. This is Bob MacGregor's photo.
RM series deck spindle comparison. This is Bob MacGregor's photo.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

Below are three pictures of the RM series deck. The first is the standard belt configuration. The second is how I modified my belt drive. This worked well for a while but the deck drive belt and internal drive belt would still slip if pushed hard enough. I ended up replacing the center spindle as suggested by experienced people on the old forum. The third picture is how I would modify the belt drive if I did this again. Basically I would shift the belt tensioner down and to the left even more than in the photo. This would increase the center pulley's belt wrap.
Attachments
Standard RM series deck drive belt configuration.
Standard RM series deck drive belt configuration.
Modified belt drive.
Modified belt drive.
Better way to modify the belt drive. Requires relocating the mount that the spring attaches to.
Better way to modify the belt drive. Requires relocating the mount that the spring attaches to.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

Timj wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:24 pm I have some issues with plugging my RM deck in heavy/thick grass, mostly due to the shoot deflector not clearing. I've seen alot of decks with the deflector removed but if you launch something, you may regret it. :114:
Are you clogging your hydravac boot or just the deck chute? Are you having issues with your deck motor and or hydraulic fluid heating up and thinning out?

My hydravac boot clogs too. Its typically when I'm in deep thick grass and my little vanguard motor cannot keep up.
Ingersoll 4016
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

MattA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:52 pm
Timj wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:24 pm I have some issues with plugging my RM deck in heavy/thick grass, mostly due to the shoot deflector not clearing. I've seen alot of decks with the deflector removed but if you launch something, you may regret it. :114:
Are you clogging your hydravac boot or just the deck chute? Are you having issues with your deck motor and or hydraulic fluid heating up and thinning out?

My hydravac boot clogs too. Its typically when I'm in deep thick grass and my little vanguard motor cannot keep up.
I don't have much trouble with my Hydra vac boot plugging, over loading with white pine needles and when the bags or trailer are full and everything plugs.
My shoot plugs when I get in really thick stuff and there's no place for the grass to go. Shh, don't tell anyone, :no: I usually keep blowing the cuttings inward, so I'm recutting alot and I'm blowing into tall/ uncut grass. Ya I don't follow rules well. :107:
My old deck motor would stall, the one I put in last year from the snow caster will slip the belt in the deck.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: