Page 1 of 1

Snow Caster vibration

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:05 am
by DavidBarkey
Snow caster shake / vibration when engaged .
Tried it out on an snow bank . Chewed through it quite well and shot the snow / ice granules about 20' in the air and about 10' to the side with the deflector all the way up. Better side distance with the deflector half down . I may need to do a wedge cut half way up the chute to get better side distance . Normal snow and getting wipers on the auger paddles will help as well

Ok , back to the vibration / shake , under load or not . This is my second caster , the first shuck violently but was visible bent . This one is straight , I checked . This thing has all new auger,shaft, pulley bearings ,chain and belt . The clutch has been rebuilt as well . I did notice that the gap between the auger is different from one paddle to the other one ,but is consistent along the auger along the length of it .
Any of you run into this before . I can' afford to have it machined true .

Dave

Re: Snow Caster vibration

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 am
by Timj
:hm: is it annoying bad or is it going to shake apart bad? Do you think it's an out of alignment issue or out of balance?

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:16 am
by Eugen
Hm.. the auger in your caster is the auger I had in mine and I can't recall any bad vibration. The shell of yours is from a caster I had that I never used. The reason I put the auger from the one I never used into mine was because one of the bearings was not the right type, the previous owner did that. I opened it with plans to put new bearings and then the snow started and couldn't wait for bearings so I just used the other auger which had old bearings but still functional. My point is that I don't know why yours would shake, as it didn't in mine. :pullhair:

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:20 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:16 am Hm.. the auger in your caster is the auger I had in mine and I can't recall any bad vibration. The shell of yours is from a caster I had that I never used. The reason I put the auger from the one I never used into mine was because one of the bearings was not the right type, the previous owner did that. I opened it with plans to put new bearings and then the snow started and couldn't wait for bearings so I just used the other auger which had old bearings but still functional. My point is that I don't know why yours would shake, as it didn't in mine. :pullhair:
Still trying to figure it out .

Dave

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:24 pm
by MattA
Is this the caster you added rubber paddles to? Are the paddles the same size and the same distance out on the auger?

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
MattA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:24 pm Is this the caster you added rubber paddles to? Are the paddles the same size and the same distance out on the auger?
I have not added the rubber paddles / wipers as yet .
I am putting the chains and weights on the rears . Then I will take the auger drive chain off and engage the pto to see weather it is the auger or the drive that is the source .

Dave

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:29 pm
by propane1
Driveshaft from belt pulley to chain cog bent. Or bad bearing on either end bad.

Noel

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:24 pm
by Jancoe
Did you reuse the driveshaft pulley? Maybe a wobble in that pulley where it's pinned on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:07 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Propane57 @Jancoe Yes I reused the pulley and shaft . I still have to unhook the auger and run the drive to isolate which side it is coming from . But that will have to wait until tomorrow . It took me all day to fitt the chains and put the weights on the rears , but they are good and tight with no bungees. But that is done and it is back on the lift again .

Dave

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:34 pm
by Jancoe
I'm wondering if the uhmw guides on the chain are causing a vibration? I want to add uhmw to mine also.
What model caster is it?

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:32 pm
by MattA
Dave the input shaft uses eccentric bearings. I recall I had issues on a snowcaster that I replaced these bearings. It was a couple of years ago but I think shaft was wobbling. Brian at Salem power helped me get it fixed. I think all I had to do was rotate the bearing collars and tighten the set screw.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:12 am
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:34 pm I'm wondering if the uhmw guides on the chain are causing a vibration? I want to add uhmw to mine also.
What model caster is it?
I beleave it is a L-84 , can't read the tag . I don't see how it could . It should remove any chain whip that would cause vibrations . Guides like this have been used for chains in everything for decades. But I will take the chain off today and run the pto and see what happens . Also going to try a balance test on the auger .

Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
I removed the drive chain and rotated the shaft, pulley , idlers ect. and all look good . I rotated the auger and ya it is bent. No where near as bad as the last caster I had , but bent enough to have 1/4" gap difference between the 2 paddles . Now that is actually only 1/8" off of centre , but still move the mass off centre enough ,with the extra rpm from the drive sprocket up grade will cause a good vibration . Here's how I fixed It . I could have used my portta power but want to show how simple it can be done . I suspect the victim of a frozen news paper .
20220328_094502.jpg
20220328_094454.jpg
Now with in a 1/32" . Happy with that . I must be the King of bent augers . Everyone I get is bent :violin: :)) . Oh well getting really good at fixing them and this was good practise .
Here is one a neighbour gave me yesterday his work was throwing out because it was to much $$ to fix where they deal . Tomorrows work , fix and put out for sale .
20220328_104740.jpg
It is suppose to be warmer out , so I will test the tractor out tomorrow .

Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:28 pm
by Eugen
Well Dave, I'm glad you could fix it, and hope it's within your tolerance for vibration. Seems like my tolerance for vibration is a lot bigger, as I had used that auger and I thought it was just normal. :109:

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:42 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:28 pm Well Dave, I'm glad you could fix it, and hope it's within your tolerance for vibration. Seems like my tolerance for vibration is a lot bigger, as I had used that auger and I thought it was just normal. :109:
I upped the auger speed with the 18 tooth from 16 tooth drive sprocket . That increase in rpm most likely put into an area where the harmonics took over . Kinda like a cars tire where you don't get a vibration until a curtain speed . The increase probably nudge it up into that area . I like to change things and that some(most)times creates new problems :35: Oh well keeps me busy .

Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm
by DavidBarkey
No more vibration . :thumbsup:

Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:15 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm No more vibration . :thumbsup:

Dave
That is great news Dave, and I'm relieved. Mine may be bent as well, I should check it once I get new bearings in. :109:

Quick question for you. Mine is really really noisy. How is yours, with all new bearings and such?

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Dave
That is great news Dave, and I'm relieved. Mine may be bent as well, I should check it once I get new bearings in. :109:

Quick question for you. Mine is really really noisy. How is yours, with all new bearings and such?
It is noisier with no load than loaded , but that is the chain I still have a bit of fine tuneing to do there . Even that is not bad , if it was hooked to Frankie I would not be able to hear it at all . This new one with the machine gun muffs is surprisingly quiet and very little engine vibration .

Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm
by Harry
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Dave

It is noisier with no load than loaded , but that is the chain I still have a bit of fine tuneing to do there . Even that is not bad , if it was hooked to Frankie I would not be able to hear it at all . This new one with the machine gun muffs is surprisingly quiet and very little engine vibration .

Dave
Dave, what's the machine gun muffs?

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:39 pm
by Seabee
Machine Gun Muffs?

Bill

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 pm
by Eugen
Yeah, the mufflers. I really like the look and the fact that they're quiet is a real plus. I too want to know where we can get those! :D come on Dave, don't keep it a secret. :violin: :D

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:55 am
by DavidBarkey
Seabee wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:39 pm Machine Gun Muffs?

Bill
Muff lers ;)

Dave

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:07 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 pm Yeah, the mufflers. I really like the look and the fact that they're quiet is a real plus. I too want to know where we can get those! :D come on Dave, don't keep it a secret. :violin: :D
This is a better price that I can get it from the wholesaler .

https://www.amazon.ca/Stens-105-296-Law ... B001OKBDOW

Dave

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:33 am
by Eugen
That's a good price indeed; local Stens dealer has it for around $100. But I'm not able to get it right now. good to know for the future though.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:40 pm
by MattA

Dave

Eugen - My SB48 snowcaster Is noisy too but it doesn't vibrate much. My tractor only had a snowblower when I bought it with 55 hrs on it. Like new I guess.

Dave - Glad you got the snowcaster fixed. I like your method of fixing it.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:54 am
by DavidBarkey
MattA wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Dave

Eugen - My SB48 snowcaster Is noisy too but it doesn't vibrate much. My tractor only had a snowblower when I bought it with 55 hrs on it. Like new I guess.

Dave - Glad you got the snowcaster fixed. I like your method of fixing it.
It worked well . But like anything your trying to straighten , you need to proceed a bit at a time or you can easily go past straight and have it bent the other way .

Dave

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm
by ssmewing
[/quote]

[/quote]

I always overhaul mine now. I thought the noise was normal. Until I replaced the auger and jackshaft bearings along with the 2 idlers. Now I can only tell the caster is on by the wind noise it makes. In fact, I often forget to turn it off because I really do not notice it is running. So, when I go to use it again and the starter does not turn I have to turn off the PTO.

Same with mower decks. They should be so quiet that you can hear only the air and the blades hitting the grass.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:06 pm
by DavidBarkey
ssmewing wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm

[/quote]

I always overhaul mine now. I thought the noise was normal. Until I replaced the auger and jackshaft bearings along with the 2 idlers. Now I can only tell the caster is on by the wind noise it makes. In fact, I often forget to turn it off because I really do not notice it is running. So, when I go to use it again and the starter does not turn I have to turn off the PTO.

Same with mower decks. They should be so quiet that you can hear only the air and the blades hitting the grass.
[/quote]

Very quiet ,still a little chain noise . Still a little fine tuning to do when I get back to it .

Dave