Snow Caster vibration

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

Snow Caster vibration

Post by DavidBarkey »

Snow caster shake / vibration when engaged .
Tried it out on an snow bank . Chewed through it quite well and shot the snow / ice granules about 20' in the air and about 10' to the side with the deflector all the way up. Better side distance with the deflector half down . I may need to do a wedge cut half way up the chute to get better side distance . Normal snow and getting wipers on the auger paddles will help as well

Ok , back to the vibration / shake , under load or not . This is my second caster , the first shuck violently but was visible bent . This one is straight , I checked . This thing has all new auger,shaft, pulley bearings ,chain and belt . The clutch has been rebuilt as well . I did notice that the gap between the auger is different from one paddle to the other one ,but is consistent along the auger along the length of it .
Any of you run into this before . I can' afford to have it machined true .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Re: Snow Caster vibration

Post by Timj »

:hm: is it annoying bad or is it going to shake apart bad? Do you think it's an out of alignment issue or out of balance?
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Hm.. the auger in your caster is the auger I had in mine and I can't recall any bad vibration. The shell of yours is from a caster I had that I never used. The reason I put the auger from the one I never used into mine was because one of the bearings was not the right type, the previous owner did that. I opened it with plans to put new bearings and then the snow started and couldn't wait for bearings so I just used the other auger which had old bearings but still functional. My point is that I don't know why yours would shake, as it didn't in mine. :pullhair:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:16 am Hm.. the auger in your caster is the auger I had in mine and I can't recall any bad vibration. The shell of yours is from a caster I had that I never used. The reason I put the auger from the one I never used into mine was because one of the bearings was not the right type, the previous owner did that. I opened it with plans to put new bearings and then the snow started and couldn't wait for bearings so I just used the other auger which had old bearings but still functional. My point is that I don't know why yours would shake, as it didn't in mine. :pullhair:
Still trying to figure it out .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Is this the caster you added rubber paddles to? Are the paddles the same size and the same distance out on the auger?
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:24 pm Is this the caster you added rubber paddles to? Are the paddles the same size and the same distance out on the auger?
I have not added the rubber paddles / wipers as yet .
I am putting the chains and weights on the rears . Then I will take the auger drive chain off and engage the pto to see weather it is the auger or the drive that is the source .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Driveshaft from belt pulley to chain cog bent. Or bad bearing on either end bad.

Noel
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Did you reuse the driveshaft pulley? Maybe a wobble in that pulley where it's pinned on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Propane57 @Jancoe Yes I reused the pulley and shaft . I still have to unhook the auger and run the drive to isolate which side it is coming from . But that will have to wait until tomorrow . It took me all day to fitt the chains and put the weights on the rears , but they are good and tight with no bungees. But that is done and it is back on the lift again .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I'm wondering if the uhmw guides on the chain are causing a vibration? I want to add uhmw to mine also.
What model caster is it?
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk