Adding an alternator

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Adding an alternator

Post by thebuildist »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 pm Thanks @thebuildist Bob , how have you been . Have not heard much from you these days hope you all are well . Do appreciate your input . What I was trying to get across is that I was thinking about turning a centring collar off the back of the connector . Then bolting the pulley to the back of the connector . As you say , ya steel would be preferable and is available. I think I will start by ordering a steel L-099 1" bore then work from there . I have to acquire a newer style bracket as well .
I will try to upload a pic of what I have in my head later . I have to go deal with anouther frozen down spout .

Dave
Having not dug into one of these before, I'm assuming that we don't have much if any clearance between the face of the lovejoy coupling and the face of the crankcase. I'm assuming that it's not more than about 1/4" from the face of the crank bearing to the face of the lovejoy coupling.

If I'm wrong about that, then the pulley is way easier to source/fabricate. Do you mean you'll attach the pulley web to the back face of the lovejoy coupling? That's clearly the easiest, if there's room to do it.

And I've been doing very well. I've been occupied with the holidays, and with my 3 grandkids. (6 mo, 5 mo, and 2 yrs) Man, do I love those little guys! At the moment I'm finishing up a project to make a bushcraft knife and sheath with my son-in-law. But within a week or two I'll be back to finish up the loader hydraulics, and I'm sure you'll all hear from me then, if for no other reason than whining! :giggle:
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Here is what I was thinking Bob @thebuildist
20220215_133418.jpg
As for the room , I have to measure it but remember having more than expected .
Glad to hear all is good and your have fun with the little ones .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well that certainly looks great. Simple is best, right? Sounds like I may have been overthinking it.

Let us know how it turns out!

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@DavidBarkey look what I found!
AF84FF86-191E-4C0C-939B-E35E81E1E035.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:38 am @DavidBarkey look what I found!

I am not sure that the mount will work. That is for an Onan engine, is it not?

I think you are just overthinking it and making it too much work. The battery is your gas tank for things that are 12vdc. Yes, the stock charger will not keep up with the load you are looking to run. But, the battery will. All you need is a higher amperage trickle charger and the battery will be ready to run your electrical draw all over again. You would only need to get a bigger battery if you run the battery down too much per use.

Even if you got the alternator and idler and pulley mounted you would still need to figure out the pulley size to run the alternator. That is a whole lot of work for what you want to do. Then if you are using a blower, a Kohler can only eat so much snow at a time. Adding the drag of an alternator may slow your working speed down even more. You could even slow it enough that throwing of the snow is not far enough.

There are guys that have a bad charging system and just mow the yard after they charge the battery. Most can mow the whole yard on a single charge.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Took a while to find one and Now I have two . :rofl:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ssmewing wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:58 pm

I am not sure that the mount will work. That is for an Onan engine, is it not?

I think you are just overthinking it and making it too much work. The battery is your gas tank for things that are 12vdc. Yes, the stock charger will not keep up with the load you are looking to run. But, the battery will. All you need is a higher amperage trickle charger and the battery will be ready to run your electrical draw all over again. You would only need to get a bigger battery if you run the battery down too much per use.

Even if you got the alternator and idler and pulley mounted you would still need to figure out the pulley size to run the alternator. That is a whole lot of work for what you want to do. Then if you are using a blower, a Kohler can only eat so much snow at a time. Adding the drag of an alternator may slow your working speed down even more. You could even slow it enough that throwing of the snow is not far enough.

There are guys that have a bad charging system and just mow the yard after they charge the battery. Most can mow the whole yard on a single charge.
Steve I think you missed some key facts . Seeing as I am putting it on an Onan , my 446 Snow Blower project tractor . I am sure it will fit . 20+ hp should do it . As for running a battery down and recharging it repeatedly is the fastest way known to man to kill a lead acid battery . How do I know , 30 years as a lic. auto mechanic , helps .
But hey seriously , thanks for chiming in . I never know where each little piece of the puzzle will come from .
:cheers:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder