Adding an alternator

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Adding an alternator

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:56 pm I was literally morning to night running around like crazy with stuff that needed to be done the last few days, so I suffered seeing such great topic get under way and me watch it from the benches.

Great idea Dave, more power is great when you got a cab, but yeah, where is the alternator and belt and pulley going to go? Tight spaces.

If anyone's gonna do it, you'll find a way. If i were you I think I'd have tried to find room for the pulley and alternator on the fan side. :109: You know what they say, never ignore your fans! :rofl:
Due to this tractor having the hydra tank over the cooler and relocating the battery to below the seat (I was going to put a oil cooler there where the battery to act as a cab heater but change my mind ) I now have lots of room above the bracket / hydra pump. Just need there newer style pump bracket and install a pulley on the engine side lovejoy connector .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:41 am And here gentlemen witness the coming into existence of a new part : the pullovejoy :highfive:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dav e
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Gordy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:20 am Dave,

I have not had to mess with the lovejoys, but I understand the crankshaft is only 1" or 1.125" long and the lovejoy must take up most of that. So the question is how do you intend on mounting a pulley in there? My first thought is to find or make a hubless pulley and weld it to the lovejoy, like the sprockets at Tractor Supply, pick the sprocket you need then pick the hub you need and weld the 2 together. Or find a pulley with a large enough bore to fit the outside of the lovejoy, then cut a keyway on the outside of the lovejoy.

:cheers:
Gordy
This lovejoy is 1" bore . I have no shortage of pulleys salvaged in stock. My first thought is to back cut a the lovejoy L-099 with a centering collar , drill and tap for 3 x 1/4" bolts . Take a pulley that will fit nicely in the bracket and machine corresponding bore and drill 3 mounting bolt holes to match .
I am not sure how the lovejoy would take weld as they are cintered metal . Maybe Harry would know .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Now I'm thinking why you don't go with sprockets and chain, as this is a belt that you won't be changing much. Plus the chain will be easier to make custom length, then find a belt that fits.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Now I'm thinking why you don't go with sprockets and chain, as this is a belt that you won't be changing much. Plus the chain will be easier to make custom length, then find a belt that fits.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

It seems like a chain would add a lot of drag and noise at this speed.

I'd want a v belt myself. That multi-link v-belt would be great.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:29 amThis lovejoy is 1" bore . I have no shortage of pulleys salvaged in stock. My first thought is to back cut a the lovejoy L-099 with a centering collar , drill and tap for 3 x 1/4" bolts . Take a pulley that will fit nicely in the bracket and machine corresponding bore and drill 3 mounting bolt holes to match .
I am not sure how the lovejoy would take weld as they are cintered metal . Maybe Harry would know .

Dave
:O A sintered lovejoy? Sintered metals are metal particles heated (not to the melting point) and pressed together to make a semi solid object like a oil impregnated bronzeite bushing or filter. I have seen cast aluminum / pot metal lovejoys for lite electrical applications, and machined steel lovejoys for impulse loads like a ICE engine. I don't see how a sintered lovejoy could possible holdup to the ICE engine load.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 am It seems like a chain would add a lot of drag and noise at this speed.

I'd want a v belt myself. That multi-link v-belt would be great.

Bob
Not a heavy load so I think a belt would do better as well.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Dave180 Canada

Post by Dave180 »

I do have pump mount that you are looking for
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Dave180 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:40 pm I do have pump mount that you are looking for
Not yet , Eugen thinks may have have . Waiting to see . Do you one have if needed ?

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder