Adding an alternator

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

Adding an alternator

Post by DavidBarkey »

Secondary alternator to runn all the extra stuff I want in the cab , defroster , wipers ,elec. chute controls , butt warmer pad , lighting . Is it possible to add a small tractor style internally regulated alternator to a Case ? All compact tractor I have seen a an alternator like this .
image.png
Since moving the battery to under the seat and the tank being over the cooler on this one I have a large still unused space over the pump and bracket. I can see where a K301 could be easily set up with one . What I am thinking is to attach a pulley to the lovejoy on the engine side . In would involve mounting the alternator to one side and an idler to the other side to clear the top of the bracket . Ya changing the belt would involve some :cuss: but no more so than a spider. A good quality belt should last many years . @Propane57 just rambling on . :giggle:

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Re: Adding an alternator

Post by propane1 »

Good ramble Dave. I was thinking of one of those small alternators for some thing yesterday. Hehe. Forgot what for today.
You could use one of those belts that lock together like a hay escalator chain. Forget what those belts are called.

Noel

Link belt I think it is called.
Attachments
0F1A80D9-6360-4221-9C80-B5A9316D8B34.png
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I call that "thinking out loud" add a little "talking to yourself" and you will get it figured out. :rofl:

Can you get a pulley in there, or are you going to have to pull the motor again? :109:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Propane57 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:12 am Good ramble Dave. I was thinking of one of those small alternators for some thing yesterday. Hehe. Forgot what for today.
You could use one of those belts that lock together like a hay escalator chain. Forget what those belts are called.

Noel

Link belt I think it is called.
I've used the link belts a lot on my electric motor-powered tools in my shop. They are a quieter than rubber belts. I had a rubber belt on my wood furnace blower fan, and it made a fair amount of noise. Change it to a link belt and I can hardly hear it. It's also nice to make the size to the application.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 am I call that "thinking out loud" add a little "talking to yourself" and you will get it figured out. :rofl:

Can you get a pulley in there, or are you going to have to pull the motor again? :109:
That would involve pulling the motor again . I need a face palm emogi because I am not aloud to bang my head anymore . It would seam that my heavy metal days are behind me now .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Anyone got one of these ???
image.png
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'll check what I have, might not be exactly like that but I got one.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I was literally morning to night running around like crazy with stuff that needed to be done the last few days, so I suffered seeing such great topic get under way and me watch it from the benches.

Great idea Dave, more power is great when you got a cab, but yeah, where is the alternator and belt and pulley going to go? Tight spaces.

If anyone's gonna do it, you'll find a way. If i were you I think I'd have tried to find room for the pulley and alternator on the fan side. :109: You know what they say, never ignore your fans! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Dave,

I have not had to mess with the lovejoys, but I understand the crankshaft is only 1" or 1.125" long and the lovejoy must take up most of that. So the question is how do you intend on mounting a pulley in there? My first thought is to find or make a hubless pulley and weld it to the lovejoy, like the sprockets at Tractor Supply, pick the sprocket you need then pick the hub you need and weld the 2 together. Or find a pulley with a large enough bore to fit the outside of the lovejoy, then cut a keyway on the outside of the lovejoy.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

And here gentlemen witness the coming into existence of a new part : the pullovejoy :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E