Oil tank heater

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
TLD89 United States of America

Re: Oil tank heater

Post by TLD89 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:09 pm Dave, so I take it Frankie is in a totally unheated shed?

I've always rolled around thoughts on making it easier to get started in the cold. My 4118 has always been somewhat of a hard starter in the cold. I think it's going to be better with lighter oil and heavier battery. It's not really a problem for me to let run for a while to warm up, as long as it starts. I could put it in my garage that rarely gets below 25°f. Also, at home we don't get much snow at cold temps, they usually follow it. Wood duty is the only thing I have to do sometimes in below 0° temps. But when I was thinking about taking Ingy up to the cabin I was thinking about ways to warm it. We left that blue and yeller thing up there for snow duty, it has a block heater on it, so plug in and it'll start.

I take it your looking to just warm it up for a while before use, not continuous.
I like the idea of not doing an extreme cold start.
Ya , he is under a pergola . I have a heated shop but if he is in there I have no where to work . He has P220 under the hood but also has a 12gpm pump and drive a hydra rear blower . I am just looking to take the "chill " off and the stress of trying to move all that oil when it is like molasses . I do run semi-synthetic 15-40 year round which helps . This is him ready for winter .

101_2887.JPG

Dave, What a cool beast you have done a great job on the hydraulics system. I like the cab with the front and back wipers also.

TLD89
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:09 pm Dave, so I take it Frankie is in a totally unheated shed?

I've always rolled around thoughts on making it easier to get started in the cold. My 4118 has always been somewhat of a hard starter in the cold. I think it's going to be better with lighter oil and heavier battery. It's not really a problem for me to let run for a while to warm up, as long as it starts. I could put it in my garage that rarely gets below 25°f. Also, at home we don't get much snow at cold temps, they usually follow it. Wood duty is the only thing I have to do sometimes in below 0° temps. But when I was thinking about taking Ingy up to the cabin I was thinking about ways to warm it. We left that blue and yeller thing up there for snow duty, it has a block heater on it, so plug in and it'll start.

I take it your looking to just warm it up for a while before use, not continuous.
I like the idea of not doing an extreme cold start.
Ya , he is under a pergola . I have a heated shop but if he is in there I have no where to work . He has P220 under the hood but also has a 12gpm pump and drive a hydra rear blower . I am just looking to take the "chill " off and the stress of trying to move all that oil when it is like molasses . I do run semi-synthetic 15-40 year round which helps . This is him ready for winter .

101_2887.JPG

Dave
That’s quite a set up Dave. Any videos of it operating. And a question, can videos be put on this site. Be slick to have a cone clutch between engine and pump to disengage to help with starting. John Deere 140H3 has that set up.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

No videos @Propane57 Noel . Just pic.s I would have to have the :whip: or grandson Jacob film it . I thought about a clutch set up , but still would need to warm up the oil somehow and the engine heat would take too long . I have only tried the heater once so far . We will see what it does in real cold in the couple of months.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Propane57 the forum software is not capable of adding video files. We would run pretty fast out of space anyway. Currently the forum is running in a total space of about 100GB. To move up to larger space would increase the monthly cost by quite a bit. You probably noticed no ads on this forum. So no money is coming from anywhere other than my pocket (and a one time donation from one of our members which covered a part of a one month cost). I'm saying this not to ask for money, just to describe that even if we were able to store videos on the site it would become quickly a problem with the space.

But we have another way to post videos here. I store my video clips on vimeo.com and to upload a video from my phone to vimeo.com I use the vimeo app. After I record the video I choose to share it, than I choose the vimeo app and all I need is to give it a name and optionally a description. After it shows up in my vimeo.com account I post the link here like this

https://vimeo.com/661065027

Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 am @Propane57 the forum software is not capable of adding video files. We would run pretty fast out of space anyway. Currently the forum is running in a total space of about 100GB. To move up to larger space would increase the monthly cost by quite a bit. You probably noticed no ads on this forum. So no money is coming from anywhere other than my pocket (and a one time donation from one of our members which covered a part of a one month cost). I'm saying this not to ask for money, just to describe that even if we were able to store videos on the site it would become quickly a problem with the space.

But we have another way to post videos here. I store my video clips on vimeo.com and to upload a video from my phone to vimeo.com I use the vimeo app. After I record the video I choose to share it, than I choose the vimeo app and all I need is to give it a name and optionally a description. After it shows up in my vimeo.com account I post the link here like this

https://vimeo.com/661065027

Thanks Eugen. I didn’t know all that. And because I am not computer wise I really have no idea how these sites work. And as for the second paragraph thanks for that too, but wayyy over my head. Hehe. I’ll just stick to reading posts.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 am @Propane57 the forum software is not capable of adding video files. We would run pretty fast out of space anyway. Currently the forum is running in a total space of about 100GB. To move up to larger space would increase the monthly cost by quite a bit. You probably noticed no ads on this forum. So no money is coming from anywhere other than my pocket (and a one time donation from one of our members which covered a part of a one month cost). I'm saying this not to ask for money, just to describe that even if we were able to store videos on the site it would become quickly a problem with the space.
Perhaps we all just throw in a few bucks?
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

The thought is appreciated @MattA , but unless you guys really want us to store videos on our site there is no need, I'm happy to cover the costs as it is right now. :D :worship:

As you can see I would like this forum to be representative of our wishes. So, everyone, when you want something changed just say it and we'll see as a group what can be done.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I looked the other day, but could not find anywhere that allowed one to contribute if they were able .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder