Oil tank heater

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

Oil tank heater

Post by DavidBarkey »

Have any of you that live in the White belt in winter tried surface mount oil heater . Here is what I am trying right now .
20211217_124157.jpg
20211217_124608.jpg
Now the only thing is to find a little booty to put over the hydra filter.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Oil tank heater

Post by thebuildist »

So let me get this straight... You looking for a little booty?

Well, if you say so...

:spin:

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

101_2685.JPG
thebuildist wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:24 pm So let me get this straight... You looking for a little booty?

Well, if you say so...

:spin:

Bob
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not me , I'm broken , the wife is worn out from work and we have a 13 year old grandson with special needs . I should have said sock or toque to keep the oil in the filter from cooling off to fast untill the system makes enough of its own heat . With dual coolers and extra plumbing , keeping it's cool in the winter is no problem . Getting Frankie up to working temp in the winter is somettimes .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Did a test on the tank heater today . -12 C this morning when plugged it in . Now I got a small 100 watt peel and stick . After an hour -6 C . After 2 hours 0 C. After 3 hours + 6 C . . Now this is on Frankie with a extra large metal tank holding 3.5 gallons of oil . The pump is just below the heater , so will get a little warmth too . It did help getting the "blood going" faster and quicker starting . I think this would work well on the small tanks and maybe the next size up for Frankie if this one fails .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Uhm... Dave, have you considered a flame thrower? Might be a little faster. :114: :D :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Dave, so I take it Frankie is in a totally unheated shed?

I've always rolled around thoughts on making it easier to get started in the cold. My 4118 has always been somewhat of a hard starter in the cold. I think it's going to be better with lighter oil and heavier battery. It's not really a problem for me to let run for a while to warm up, as long as it starts. I could put it in my garage that rarely gets below 25°f. Also, at home we don't get much snow at cold temps, they usually follow it. Wood duty is the only thing I have to do sometimes in below 0° temps. But when I was thinking about taking Ingy up to the cabin I was thinking about ways to warm it. We left that blue and yeller thing up there for snow duty, it has a block heater on it, so plug in and it'll start.

I take it your looking to just warm it up for a while before use, not continuous.
I like the idea of not doing an extreme cold start.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:09 pm Dave, so I take it Frankie is in a totally unheated shed?

I've always rolled around thoughts on making it easier to get started in the cold. My 4118 has always been somewhat of a hard starter in the cold. I think it's going to be better with lighter oil and heavier battery. It's not really a problem for me to let run for a while to warm up, as long as it starts. I could put it in my garage that rarely gets below 25°f. Also, at home we don't get much snow at cold temps, they usually follow it. Wood duty is the only thing I have to do sometimes in below 0° temps. But when I was thinking about taking Ingy up to the cabin I was thinking about ways to warm it. We left that blue and yeller thing up there for snow duty, it has a block heater on it, so plug in and it'll start.

I take it your looking to just warm it up for a while before use, not continuous.
Ya , he is under a pergola . I have a heated shop but if he is in there I have no where to work . He has P220 under the hood but also has a 12gpm pump and drive a hydra rear blower . I am just looking to take the "chill " off and the stress of trying to move all that oil when it is like molasses . I do run semi-synthetic 15-40 year round which helps . This is him ready for winter .
101_2887.JPG
Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Timj wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:09 pm Dave, so I take it Frankie is in a totally unheated shed?

Ya , he is under a pergola . I have a heated shop but if he is in there I have no where to work . He has P220 under the hood but also has a 12gpm pump and drive a hydra rear blower . I am just looking to take the "chill " off and the stress of trying to move all that oil when it is like molasses . I do run semi-synthetic 15-40 year round which helps . This is him ready for winter .

101_2887.JPG

Dave
Frankie is a mean looking beast ready to conquer anything old man winter can throw at him. So, the front snow caster housing is used as a plow? I see hydraulic lines running to the front but no chute!

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:14 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:32 pm

101_2887.JPG

Dave
Frankie is a mean looking beast ready to conquer anything old man winter can throw at him. So, the front snow caster housing is used as a plow? I see hydraulic lines running to the front but no chute!

Keep the Peace
Harry
The hydraulic lines you see are for the loader bucket cylinders . The old Case Caster casing was twisted and the auger had a bend in the tube .I think the PO tried to pull it out of somewhere bad by the auger . It never worked right and was beyond repairing properly so the casing was repurposed into a bucket for the loader and auger made its way into other projects in pieces . I now have caster worth fixing thanks to a trade with Eugen . The new to me caster will go on the 446 I am rebuilding and will be a front mount and the primary winter machine . Frankie will get most of the winter off by then . I plan on putting the oil tank heater on the 446 as well . Should work a little quicker being less than a gallon . Kicking the idea of engine oil heater as well though a pipe plug in the oil pan at the base of the dip stick tube . If I can find one small enough . A timer for those days they are calling for snowmagettin is an easy thing . Ideas are easy remembering what I was doing half way through not so much . :rofl: Oh well it is getting better .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

In the last few days I've had full days and nights busy with the family so I haven't been reading posts very carefully. I see you're talking about the oil in the hydraulic system Dave, not the engine. oil. In my opinion it's not really the time of warming the oil up that's the problem, long as it may be. It's when you start heating up the oil. Easy enough to put the heater on a timer so it starts at 5AM or whatever, and sure enough the tractor will be ready for a hug at 7AM. I have a 10AMP wi-fi switch that I've been playing with for about 2 years, which also has the ability to add to it a temperature sensor, which I also got. Basically it then becomes a thermostat which you can also control from an app on your phone. With this device you can plug in the heater when you park Frankie, and it'll turn on either at a time that you program it for, or it can maintain a temperature if you get the sensor as well. The device I use is called Sonoff TH10 and I bought it on ebay from China. I can't guarantee though that the Chinese government won't turn on (or off) your switch when you least expect it. :D Hasn't happened to me yet. :giggle: It really makes me want to start a business and make such devices with servers located on our soil! :fight:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: