My snowcaster needs some TLC

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
Eugen Canada

Re: My snowcaster needs some TLC

Post by Eugen »

Alright, I am a wuss and moved it "inside" for assembly. :giggle:

20BB57E7-62F4-4A6C-AEB2-80E4ECEED324.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Eugen wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:36 pm Alright, I am a wuss and moved it "inside" for assembly. :giggle:
Your working smarter. I'm sure that tent provides you some protection from the wind.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Just wondering about your building there Eugen. I’d like to get some thing like that. But a little smaller to house a couple on tractors to give me some space in my garage. How do they handle high winds. ? Is my main question.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 am Just wondering about your building there Eugen. I’d like to get some thing like that. But a little smaller to house a couple on tractors to give me some space in my garage. How do they handle high winds. ? Is my main question.

Noel
Noel, the short answer is no.

The long answer. There is only company that makes the good tents, Shelter Logic, and I found that Canadian Tire is the best source to buy it from, because they go on sale from time to time. Shelter Logic makes tents that are rated for high wind and snow, but they are in the $2000 and up territory. And those don't come in small sizes. When I bought the first tent, or portable garage/shelter, as they call it, I didn't know anything about them and it was an impulse buy because it was one sale and seemed strong. The size is 20L x 13W x 12H feet. You can see it in my pictures here on the forum. The roof profile is not very steep, so it was a nightmare in the winter. The snow would accumulate and I had to beat it from the inside to get the snow off the roof in fear it would collapse. Although we're not far from Lake Huron, we got trees almost all around us, so we don't get high winds on a regular basis. But I can tell you that it survived a few storms with high winds, including the one that brought down a huge ash tree next to the house. I don't know how it would handle daily high winds, but I think it would do well, if you anchor it properly all around it. The anchors that came with it are like an auger that you screw into the ground. I used an impact gun to do that, all four corners. You need to be careful how you install the tarp too, needs to be taught. If the tarp is loose it's bad, both with snow and wind. Wind will weaken the tarp if it's loose.

The next tent I got is the brown one you see, and it was double the price, but no more trouble with the snow, it's really tall, about 16 feet, and 20 feet long, and 13 wide. No more trouble with snow, the roof is steep and the snow doesn't stay too long on it. It is still not guaranteed rated for snow and wind, but I can tell you that last winter I did nothing to it, it's just fine. Just a much better tent this one, and I have now two.

I can tell you this for sure, because I've seen a lot of the smaller tents here in the village. Shreds and collapse is what they're called. It seems with these tents you go big or go home, seriously.

The other aspect is that the tarp number one enemy is UV. If they get full sun all day, it may last 2-3 years, and then it disintegrates. Some people put an extra cheaper sacrificial tarp on top which they replace every 2 years.

Also, if the tent has nothing under it, you get a lot of humidity coming up from the ground, and if you have rust sensitive things stored in it, they will still rust. Ask me how I know? I thought gravel would be enough, which I put in my first tent; it's not enough. The next two tents got both 6 mil poly sheet under, and a 20x16 tarp on top. One of them gravel on top of the tarp. No more humidity in the tent. Hopefully this lasts until, with God's will, I can build a shop. But who knows if or when that will happen.

I bet you didn't expect this long ramble. :))

See? Brown one no worries. The other one, stress.
See? Brown one no worries. The other one, stress.
Last edited by Eugen on Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

No picture yet, but I assembled the snow caster last night, worked past 1am on it. Except for the chain.

Question for you gang. When the auger is set to be closest to the back of the housing, is there a pre-defined number of links for the chain? In other words, how much slack or lack of it should there be in the chain? :hm:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Great ramble on the enclosures Engen. I surely don’t need any thing that big. Just was thinking I guess about more room some how. May never happen. Easier to sell two tractors. :D

On the chain on the caster. I don’t know how may links there are. I could count them on both of my casters if you like. But I’m sure they could all be different. Might depend on chain and the wear on the two cogs. :106:
I think if you adjust it so the chain is not hitting the metal on the bottom of the caster, while in the off position, that it would be good. I really don’t know, just a guess and quick ramble on that.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 am Just wondering about your building there Eugen. I’d like to get some thing like that. But a little smaller to house a couple on tractors to give me some space in my garage. How do they handle high winds. ? Is my main question.

Noel
Noel , ever thought about a sea can ? a 20 footer would work good for you .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:11 pm I surely don’t need any thing that big.
Famous last words!
Easier to sell two tractors. :D
:109: I am shocked!

Noel, I am surprised you don't build a small shed, you got so much wood. Throw a steel roof on it, maybe even steel siding. :whip:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:02 pm
Propane57 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:11 pm I surely don’t need any thing that big.
Famous last words!
Easier to sell two tractors. :D
:109: I am shocked!

Noel, I am surprised you don't build a small shed, you got so much wood. Throw a steel roof on it, maybe even steel siding. :whip:

That’s true Eugen. Son could build it. I could help. Seems the older I get, I’d rather take the easy route.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Noel
Noel , ever thought about a sea can ? a 20 footer would work good for you .
No Dave. Never thought of that. :40: There are lots who use them around here.

Noel.