My snowcaster needs some TLC

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
ssmewing United States of America

Re: My snowcaster needs some TLC

Post by ssmewing »

Eugen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am I must say, Case Ingersoll using all these non-standard bearings reminds me of Apple and their proprietary connection ports over the years. :D Don't shoot! :fight:
Case-Ingersoll actually is very good about using standard bearings. The newer caster uses the same bearing as the mower spindle. I think I have only changed one set of hex center bearings.

But, things that all seem to do is build their own mower blades in every way they could imagine for a center hole. I have the fancy Magnamatic blade balancer. The kit with the adapters is around, I think in the 16 parts range. The RM deck has a Craftsman adapter that is just a little too big to fit. It was pretty easy to take a file and shave a little off for it to work, though. Precision-balanced blades increase blade speed and reduce wear on the moving parts of the deck. I got lucky at an Estate sale. I bought the professional blade sharpener as soon as I saw the picture in the ad and paid her with PayPal. Then I get there to pick it up and she says that someone told her this thing on the wall goes with the sharpener. I got both for $40. If I had known more about the balancer there was probably an assortment of adapters since buying as a kit is the best deal.
IMG_20200712_183749638.jpg
IMG_20200712_183628838.jpg
I looked at your photo of the auger end with the sprocket. In the photo, to me and I may be wrong, it looks like your teeth are almost gone. Make sure you use a new American-made #40 chain and keep it nice and tight.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

That's a great deal for the balancer alone yet the grinder too. I just researched them, and they are a bit pricey for a homeowner. With the cone being magnetic it really should do a super job.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@ssmewing you got a great deal on the balancer and sharpener! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that around here.

Interesting you say #40 chain, I thought the manual says 82 pitches #35 roller chain. :hm:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 pm @ssmewing you got a great deal on the balancer and sharpener! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that around here.

Interesting you say #40 chain, I thought the manual says 82 pitches #35 roller chain. :hm:
#40 Chain is correct for the blower I am working on

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Finally trying to put new bearings. Had to apply the cutting disk to the driving shaft bearings and it put a gouge on a badly placed finger :headbash: :cuss:

Guys, how do I get this pulley off without cutting another finger? :headbash:
Attachments
C9750084-89D4-4E47-A09E-CC842A2760D7.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:03 pm Finally trying to put new bearings. Had to apply the cutting disk to the driving shaft bearings and it put a gouge on a badly placed finger :headbash: :cuss:

:hm: I think I would start with a little heat. :smash: Don't burn your fingers :D you need to be more careful. :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I assume your pulley is held on with a spirol pin like mine is (SB48 snowcaster). I think its two parts if I remember correctly. If you got both parts out, try what Tim suggested :cheers:
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:03 pm Finally trying to put new bearings. Had to apply the cutting disk to the driving shaft bearings and it put a gouge on a badly placed finger :headbash: :cuss:

Some where on here , but of course I can find it . I posted how I removed the pulley from the caster I was rebuilding last winter. I remember using a few pairs of vise grips (one behind the other ) heat and a ball tie rod end pickle fork . Some pulley guys say are pinned on but my was keyed and set screws and had a second screw like a jam nut . So you could have either . But still need to have a lock on the shaft heat and a wedge to get off with out destroying it or yourself . See if you can find the post .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 am

Some where on here , but of course I can find it . I posted how I removed the pulley from the caster I was rebuilding last winter. I remember using a few pairs of vise grips (one behind the other ) heat and a ball tie rod end pickle fork . Some pulley guys say are pinned on but my was keyed and set screws and had a second screw like a jam nut . So you could have either . But still need to have a lock on the shaft heat and a wedge to get off with out destroying it or yourself . See if you can find the post .
I think on the last page of this is what you are looking for, at least part of it. :D
viewtopic.php?t=425&start=40
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thank you @Timj! I was searching for 20 minutes already and couldn't find it! :worship:

Mine has the rolled pin which came out easily. Needs heat for sure. I'll see what else...
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E