222 Receiver hitch mounted crane

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
RoamingGnome Canada

222 Receiver hitch mounted crane

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks everyone for your likes and compliments on Maxine's trailer hitch project... :cheers:

There was of course a reason why I made such a robust bracket for a trailer hitch.
PXL_20240316_131206667.jpg
I'll admit I'm a little envious of everyone with Case loaders in your collections... I've wanted some kind of yard "crane" for lifting and moving heavy stuff for a while.

The concept of a crane that would mount on 2" receiver tube has been rattling around in my head for a few years now. When I built my 4x6 utility trailer I made the tongue out of 2" tube, and made it removable at the box. The idea was I could slide the tongue out, put the crane in place, and then reattach the tongue - giving me a crane at the front of my trailer. The outriggers are removable and also out of 2" thick wall tube.
PXL_20240318_163938186.jpg
Today was my first chance to test my ideas. Gather the bits and pieces I've been collecting and go for a trial fit. Assemble it all and see how the parts would work together - and it looks like it will work ok, I'll probably shorten up the outriggers so they are in line with the tires, and possibly make a different, dedicated receiver assy so it could fit a little closer to the seat. ...and put a little hand winch on top of the swivel post with a sheave at the tip of the crane arm.
PXL_20240318_163218838.jpg
Of course the frustrating thing now is that I can see it's going to work, and I can do some cutting and drilling of component parts, but I've got to wait until the weather gets a little more "spring like" again before I do any welding/painting.

If you have any comments/suggestions feel free to fire away. This project is definitely in the late design phase, but there is still time to tweak things... :wave:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: 222 Receiver hitch mounted crane

Post by DavidBarkey »

I like the idea of using it on the trailer as well . As for the out rigger jacks . Make it so they are just proud of the rear tires and have them so the jacks come off and turn up parallel to the ground for transport . Other than that , I like what you got going on and I think adding a winch is a great idea .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Will be a handy thing Gerry. I know a fella on you tube that has a crane to lift up large rounds of wood that he can’t pick up him self. Crane is mounted in a small trailer and swivels. He picks up the rounds on the ground and sets them in the trailer. Trailer is hooked to a Sears garden tractor. Trailer is only big enough for two or three large rounds. The crane can be removed and set on his wood splitter. Picks up the rounds, sets them on the splitter. Manual boat winch operated the crane.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Some pictures of the set up I was mentioning. He lives in Ontario.

Noel
Attachments
IMG_8008.png
IMG_8009.png
IMG_8010.png
IMG_8011.png
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Thanks for the photos @propane1 - That's quite the setup he has. I don't think I'd be wanting to try and manhandle those rounds to get them in his trailer. I had considered putting the crane in a corner of my trailer, but felt in the long run it would be more useful if it could be moved around and mounted different equipment. It could even be used on my Samurai or Tacoma...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Nicely done Gerry! It looks like it’s going to work well.
My first thought was the same as Mr. Dave. I think I would want the outriggers set to outside of the tires. The stabilizers on my 648 are inline with the rear tires and it’s gets a little tippy. I’d much rather have them wider. :thumbsup:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

That's pretty impressive. It looks to be plenty strong.

Now it's time for action! Grab something heavy and pick it up! LOL

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"