Page 1 of 1

Lawn aeration

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:59 pm
by Harry
Probably most of you remember I had a new sand septic system installed last summer. They planted grass seed at the end of the project but I never liked the seed they planted. Many spots also are bare because the the seed never germinated. So now I want to over seed the area but it is very dry because of no rain. I have an old aerator that you pull behind a GT. It’s the kind you put cinder blocks on which never seemed very well. So I revamped it recently to use tractor suitcase weights. I tried it out this morning with two fifty pound weights on it. That didn’t sink in much over the hard dry areas, so I increased it to four fifty pound weights and that didn’t sink down much either. So next was six fifty pound weights and that seemed to work the best. I know this is not something most people do, over seed their lawn but hey someone might find this interesting. :peace: Harry

Re: Lawn aeration

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:57 pm
by MattA
Nice setup Harry. I've got a similar craftsman aerator from the early 90's when they were built much better than today's aerators. I typically run 4-5 solid concrete blocks on it. Works ok. A few years back the axle bushing setup gave out. I upgraded to bearing blocks. I also made a hitch from angle iron on the back of the aerator for towing my dethatcher at the same time.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:25 am
by Harry
Matt, I have a dethatcher also and was thinking of something similar to what you fabricated. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:27 am
by Eugen
This is interesting @Harry , nice job! It helps to be a master welder! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:57 pm
by MattA
Harry wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:25 am Matt, I have a dethatcher also and was thinking of something similar to what you fabricated. :peace: Harry
Works great. My 4016 pulls it just fine in low range. I've even pulled it in high range (My newer models high range is geared a bit lower than older models).

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:41 pm
by MattA
Does anyone use a plug style aerator? What model do you use?