Page 1 of 1

Combine wheel weights

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:50 pm
by Harry
I was searching different items on CL a few weeks ago and found an ad that a guy was parting out a JD combine. The ad read most of the parts like engine and transmission are already sold. I wrote down the sellers number and put it in my wallet. I came across it yesterday so I called the seller this morning and he said the wheel weights are still there bolted to the steering wheels that were in the rear of the combine. He said he didn’t know to much about them or what they were worth. :35: I told him I would call him back and set up a time to come look at them. It’s about 1.5 hours from my location then back. I know I’ve seen wheel weights go for big $. Anyone out there who has purchased these big heavy weight before? I believe there are inner weights that are lighter and outer weights that are around 160 lbs each. Let me know your thoughts. :peace: Harry

Re: Combine wheel weights

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:05 pm
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:50 pm I was searching different items on CL a few weeks ago and found an ad that a guy was parting out a JD combine. The ad read most of the parts like engine and transmission are already sold. I wrote down the sellers number and put it in my wallet. I came across it yesterday so I called the seller this morning and he said the wheel weights are still there bolted to the steering wheels that were in the rear of the combine. He said he didn’t know to much about them or what they were worth. :35: I told him I would call him back and set up a time to come look at them. It’s about 1.5 hours from my location then back. I know I’ve seen wheel weights go for big $. Anyone out there who has purchased these big heavy weight before? I believe there are inner weights that are lighter and outer weights that are around 160 lbs each. Let me know your thoughts. :peace: Harry
You know, location and whatever the seller thinks they're worth. The inner weights are 104 lbs each side, and the outer are 162 lbs per side. I'd say to him what are you asking for them, I'm not sure what to pay for them. If he insists you to make an offer, I'd offer steel scrap value first, and then go up from there to what you're willing to pay. Look up what does scrap steel go for per pound. Or look up tractor weights in your area and what see what they go for. I paid 50 each weight, it's what the guy asked. At the time I had no idea I'm getting a good deal.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:08 pm
by ras101
Eugen, might be interested in the weights too...Ray

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:35 pm
by JSinMO
@Harry I haven’t bought weights but if I figured it right I think around $25 a piece for the outside ones and $15 a piece for the inside ones would be scrap price. If you can get them for that I think that would be a pretty good deal! Cast iron scrap at Niagara Metals is listed at $290 a gross ton.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:08 pm
by propane1
Wheel weights can go for a lot of money. If the person knows the going rate. One to two dollar a pound is the going rate around here in my area. Everybody has there own thoughts as to what they could be worth.
I got two 75 lb weighs for my Case 446. They were of a Ford 3900 tractor. Front wheel weighs. Fit perfect. $200,00 for the two of them. I just paid him and away I went. Happily.

Noel

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 pm
by Timj
I don't imagine shipping would be cheap but for reference, All States Ag has them listed on eBay $200 for two inners and $79. each for outers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134242218638?h ... BMyq_PoOBh
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123437085806?h ... BMyq_PoOBh

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:05 am
by Jancoe
I picked up the JD 162 lb outer weights about 3 years ago. I paid $120 for the pair. Got them from a farmer about 1.5hrs away from me. He had purchased a few items from an auction, and these were in one of the lots.
Still had the auction # tags on them. He was happy and I was happy. I've seen these ones advertised well over $200 for the pair several times.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:20 pm
by ssmewing
Hey, it is a lot more weight than the D10 at 37.5 lbs. And they sell pretty easily at $100 each.

But, filling your tires should first. Rim Guard when you can and whatever if you cannot.

For me, Rim Guard is $4.40 a gallon, installed. 8.00-16 tires hold just under 12 gallons. That is $52.80 plus new steel or brass valve stems per tire. And you get the weight, but no rotating mass. That is 136 lbs per tire. For most people that is enough.

Loaders are a different story. For those, it is add up to 700 lbs, and hope that works.

The combine weights fit 16" rims just fine. They do not fit the stock 15" rims on a loader. But, if you do as I do on all loaders I can influence, you run a 15x10 rim and 29"-12.50x15" tires.

This size is commonly used as both fronts or rears for Kubota tractors. The deeper dish on these rims will hold either set of the combine weights. You will need a 2.75-3.00 inch wheel spacer. That is what I have gotten for this tire size in my area. One set was used up front tire tread and rims. The other is brand new take-offs from the rear with rims. I got such a good deal on the take-offs that were new that they were cheaper than the almost bald tires. Then to turn that into a total tank pay for the 2-link tire chains. I got lucky and got some new old equipment chains. They are huge links. I tried to find some for sale. In the equipment size range, they were over $500 for a set.

On the 644 it only could spin some when I used it in clay soil with the frost still in but thawing. But, I was pulling out of a pile of burnt barn timbers from a barn fire. On regular dirt, it would bypass before it could spin.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 am
by turboff
I found a JD guy up here in Canada who wants $250 per outer weight and $250 for each split weight set...

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:27 am
by Eugen
Well, maybe my suggestion to offer near scrap value is way off. You got lots of opinions @Harry , good luck I hope you get these weights at a reasonable price! Please do let us know if the sale went through. The combine weights are my favourite for our Case tractors.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:56 am
by Timj
turboff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 am I found a JD guy up here in Canada who wants $250 per outer weight and $250 for each split weight set...
Ouch, he definitely wants to make $$$$. But someone pays it he'll ask more for the next set.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:19 am
by Toolslinger
Around me in PA, people have lost their minds on tractor weight of any variety. I wanted some front suitcase weights for my MF 135. Old, rusty weights missing the holddowns were going for well more than brand new. I got so disgusted, I ended up just buying a pallet of 13 new weights when I really only wanted 4. The balance went on another tractor that needed help getting out of it's own way if the grass was damp. No headache from crazy sellers, and they were delivered to my door. (well the dock at work, but that's even better since I don't have to be around to receive)

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:00 pm
by Harry
A ramble for today on the combine weights. My wife always like to go for a ride so we went there to look at the combine weights this morning. It was only an hour away and in a beautiful rural area. When I first seen the combine, which I knew the seller was parting out I thought, this is a piece of junk. It only had the outside weights on the rims, which is what I was mostly interested in. No inside weights were in sight so no problem. I measured them so I knew they would work for my application. The seller didn’t know much about them and he was just going to scrap the test of the combine. I told him how much they weighed and how much scrap iron was going for which would be about $50. He seemed happy with that, so I said I would need help getting them off and loading them, so I could do better than that. So I gave him $60 for the pair and he was happy. He had a battery operated 1/2” drive Dewalt impact and we sprayed the bolts with penetrating fluid. Shot the breeze a while then worked on the bolts. Three came off easy but one had to be cut off with his portable grinder. I rolled them up to his pickup and put them on his lift gate. He drove them to my Jeep and we rolled into the back. We were saying good bye and he mentioned about coming up to the barn to see his maple syrup operation. So the wife and I got a little cupful of Maple syrup. It was delicious. So I asked if I could buy some and he obliged me. So it was a great day! I came home with two combine weights at a good price and a gallon of Maple syrup at a great price which we will enjoy with our grand kids. :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:12 pm
by Eugen
You just scored the best deal ever! Definitely the deal of year 2023!!! Congratulations! I'm happy for you! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm
by JSinMO
Sounds like a great day @Harry !
You made an awesome deal! Glad it work out! :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:55 pm
by DavidBarkey
:O Harry , weights , maple syrup, a chin wag , and the :wife: didn't mind . Plus go got a good drive out of it . :worship: Dude go buy a Lottery ticket . :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:58 pm
by RoamingGnome
Good work @Harry That sir was a steal of a deal... :thumbsup: and fresh maple syrup too! Bonus!
Can't get any weights around here for less than a dollar or two per pound...

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:14 pm
by MattA
Congrads on the score Harry. I paid about the same price of each of my JD 42lb suitcase weights.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm
by Harry
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/d/la ... 61337.html
42lb weights $60 each
42lb weights $60 each
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/d/la ... 60122.html
$200 per pair
$200 per pair
I just seen these two GT weights pop up this morning on the local C/L .
The best part of the story was the seller advertised that he was parting out a combine, not that he was selling wheel weights. I called him and asked if the combine had the wheel weights. Yes, it's a Great day when a plan comes together. :hug:
:peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:34 pm
by MattA
People ask way too much for those 42lb suitcase weights + you have to go get them. Mine were about $60 shipped from Amazon.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:32 am
by propane1
That sounds like a great day Harry. Glad you got them. At 160 lbs that’s heavy. Watch your fingers put them on. When I put the 75 lb weights on my Case, it was quite a struggle.
Great ramble Harry.

Noel

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:24 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:32 am That sounds like a great day Harry. Glad you got them. At 160 lbs that’s heavy. Watch your fingers put them on. When I put the 75 lb weights on my Case, it was quite a struggle.
Great ramble Harry.

Noel
Agreed , Harry need to make a weight picker like I did for the the set I made that would take the weight and balance them while bolting on .

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:51 am
by Eugen
Indeed, I find it really hard to put them on. The good part is that they don't need to come off of my tractor except if something goes wrong. Someone posted a neat device he made for installation from a car jack.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:30 am
by keith
There's some good ideas when I googled wheel installation images. One in particular looked interesting called the jack and jill of all tires. For you guys with your skills and knowledge something the ideas are you guys come up with are outstanding and impressive, I know someone will come up with the ideal answer. Carry on men, I enjoy reading your posts. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:49 pm
by Harry
I believe in not trying to reinvent the wheel and I’m a visual learner. So if anyone has seen a tool to help me install these combine weights it would be appreciated to post some pics. Thanks in advance. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:05 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:49 pm I believe in not trying to reinvent the wheel and I’m a visual learner. So if anyone has seen a tool to help me install these combine weights it would be appreciated to post some pics. Thanks in advance. :peace: Harry
image.png

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:25 pm
by Eugen
@Harry it's on the sister site, look

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... 99&slide=4

But it was @BobAfton system that I really liked

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/thre ... ght.93529/

Be good when your weights are on the back Harry, so you don't end up like this

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:05 pm
by Harry
I have a large floor jack and a portable engine crane, so I could do either. Thanks guys. :worship: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:00 pm
by propane1
That’s what I was thinking off, an engine crane. But, maybe make a thing to set on a floor jack , And have it so it extends a bit so you can get the weight all the way into the wheel, with out the floor jack hitting the tire.

Jumpins a Saturday nite ramble.

Noel

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 pm
by DavidBarkey
The one problem with the floor jack I can see is you may need to weight the back of the jack to keep it from flipping forward . The over head bracket need to have the lift point over the centre of the weight when attached and each style of weight has a different centre line . I have a wheel jack for the loaded tires and use the over head crane for the wheel weights . This what works for me with what I have on hand .

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:11 pm
by ssmewing
Mine are off now because I changed years on my loader. I took them off by hand. That is nothing compared to putting them on.

But, me caveman. I just put them on with my hands. I did do it and my only aid was a steel rod to line up one of the 4 holes. I jacked the tire up and lined up the holes first.

Yes, I did actually do that. I am a bigger than average guy. But, just because you can, it does not mean you should. I will be looking for one of my many lifting devices next time.

I am 59, not 29 now. When I was 29 I could have maybe curled those weights. I would have to think back to those days. I do have to admit that doing it by hand does give me the satisfaction that I still got it. It is just how many pain pills and days off will it cost me. I can curl a 30 in each hand easily enough. I just need to be able to add another 50 to the 30. No problem.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:30 am
by Harry
I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed but I try to work smart and not hard. I’m in my 70’s so pain can be a daily occurrence even when I try to not overdue the physical stuff. I’m waiting for the day when :wife: starts to complain about the work I do. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 am
by Jancoe
Wow what a deal Harry. Those weights are great. Definitely gonna gain some traction. Would like to find some more around my area for some of my other tractors. I too like to work smarter not harder when it comes to things like this. I stacked blocks and made a ramp to roll them up to put those weights into position on the 6018bh. I can only hope to staying active as I grow old. My body already hurts. Too young still.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 pm
by Eugen

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:18 pm
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 pm We need this

https://vimeo.com/811871940

Funny you posted that :spin: Just last night I watched a YT video on building a non electric version of that ;) I would need to modify it to work on gravel though, NO concrete here :oops:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:55 pm
by Eugen
Gravel the size of robin eggs here. But interesting center of gravity, that's what got my attention.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:22 am
by propane1
Seen that video some where with in the last few days. Of course it would have to attach to a tractor to move it around, right. :giggle:

Noel

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am
by Harry
Interesting video, thanks for posting. I couldn’t understand a word she said. :43: can anyone translate it for me! :bla: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 am
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am Interesting video, thanks for posting. I couldn’t understand a word she said. :43: can anyone translate it for me! :bla: :peace: Harry
Harry, sorry, I didn't even look at it with the sound on as I found it late at night. As I said, what grabbed my attention was the center of gravity, because Dave did correctly identify the potential problem with making a weight lift from the car jack.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am
by propane1
Another thought on the lifting the wheel weight with a floor Jack. Mount the weight on the jack and as the jack lifts it normally moves back some so that would help with the tipping forward. Could add weigh to the back of the jack to I suppose. Any way, then jack up the tractor on the side your gunna put the weight on. Jack it up far enough so the jack will roll in under the tire. Adjust your heights and put the weight on. Just a thought
It is Monday morning. I could be rambling. :D

Noel

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:34 am
by Harry
Good Ramble Noel, your rambles are always Welcome :cheers: :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:19 am
by ssmewing
All of us that have a tractor with a 3-point could finally build the carryall that we have on our list of builds. Then wood or metal brackets attached to the floor to hold the weight would be easy enough to aid in lining things up.

I will go third or later. I am just being nice so that you guys can go ahead and build a version or so for me to copy from. :peace:

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:23 am
by Eugen
ssmewing wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:19 am All of us that have a tractor with a 3-point could finally build the carryall that we have on our list of builds. Then wood or metal brackets attached to the floor to hold the weight would be easy enough to aid in lining things up.

I will go third or later. I am just being nice so that you guys can go ahead and build a version or so for me to copy from. :peace:
What carry all are you talking about? I'm having trouble understanding what it is.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:30 am
by ssmewing
Eugen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:23 am
What carry all are you talking about? I'm having trouble understanding what it is.
https://www.google.com/search?q=3+point ... e&ie=UTF-8

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:41 am
by Eugen
Oh yeah! That'd have been a blessing to have before I got the loader. :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:25 am
by DavidBarkey
Thought about making one of those , then I realized I am to lazy . So I built Frankie and a dump tractor instead .

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:50 pm
by Harry
It’s been a week since I picked up the combine weights. It’s been a situation of “if you don’t succeed at first try try again. :pullhair: I took a day in the shop cleaning the weights with a wire brush, then painted them with rustoleum black with rust stop paint. The next day I painted them with Case Power Yellow paint. Then the struggle to get them on commenced. First I made a tool to fit the floor jack. It worked great to move the weights around but didn’t go high enough to put them into the wheel. Plan B was to use my hydraulic lift table which I made a tool to fit the weights on. It was to cumbersome to get the weight into the wheel also. I finally had success with the engine picker and a strap to fit the weights into the wheel. That’s a lot if weight to be horsing around and trying not to pinch a finger. I used a piece if 1/2” all thread and nuts to pull the weight into the wheel hanging on the strap. Then some pinch bars to line up the holes in the weights to the holes in the wheels. Originally I had two weights on the wheels. One 50 lb and one 45 lb on each wheel. My first success of getting the weight in the wheel, I noticed a gap in behind the weight and the wheel. So I removed it and added a 50 lb behind the combine weights. So now each wheel has 210 lbs each, plus the tires are loaded with a liquid. I’m not sure with what but some came out when I put a pressure gauge on the tube valve stem. It’s clear and no smell to it. Anyone have any ideas? :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:13 pm
by JSinMO
They look great @Harry ! Glad you found what works to mount them. Now it should be a lot easier set up if they ever have to come off.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:57 pm
by Eugen
I like the jack rod. That's something I should do for myself as well. :thumbsup:

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:10 pm
by propane1
Looks great and some heavy. You’d be pushing 300 lbs there Harry with the water in the tires. Just guessing on the weight. And if it’s water or not in the tires.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:06 am
by DavidBarkey
@Harry new weights look good . I am guessing that the tire were on the rims when you got them . Clear no smell , I am wondering if it is calcium ? What does the valve stem look like ? and are there tubes in the tires ? You have had those tires on as long as I can remember , so can't be water . You would have notice them freezing .

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 am
by Harry
David, the tires were loaded when I purchased them. The valve stems appear to be tube not tubeless stems. There must not be any air in the tubes because I positioned the stem at 12 o’clock and when I pushed the pressure gauge on liquid squirted out. I’m not sure if calcium has a color to it. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 am David, the tires were loaded when I purchased them. The valve stems appear to be tube not tubeless stems. There must not be any air in the tubes because I positioned the stem at 12 o’clock and when I pushed the pressure gauge on liquid squirted out. I’m not sure if calcium has a color to it. :peace: Harry
Tractor tubes rated for calcium will look like this .
image.png
May or may not have a locking ring . But if you see a knurled collar below the cap like in the pic. then it has a tractor valve insert that will withstand calcium . like theses .
image.png
. These tubes are expencive , so not many people are going to use them unless there is calcium in there . They are usually filled to 80 percent and done laying down with the top bead broke to let the air out from between the tire and the tube for the smaller ones . The big tractor tires are done on the tractor , again with the bead broke . Both way it is pumped in after pulling the air out of the tube . After filled they are topped up with air to give a cushion .

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:19 pm
by Harry
Does anyone know if calcium has a color to it? :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:19 pm Does anyone know if calcium has a color to it? :peace: Harry
Any I have seen has a slight blue green tint , but need to in volume to notice it .

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:28 pm
Harry wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:19 pm Does anyone know if calcium has a color to it? :peace: Harry
Any I have seen has a slight blue green tint , but need to in volume to notice it .
I was thinking a milky grayish colour. But I’ve only seen it once or twice. So my thinking could be off.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 pm
by propane1
I always thought you fill to just below the air stem, with the wheel on the tractor and stem in the twelve o’clock position. And that was with any fluid. Then add the air pressure you want.

Noel

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:38 pm
by JSinMO
propane1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:28 pm
I was thinking a milky grayish colour. But I’ve only seen it once or twice. So my thinking could be off.

Noel
Noel, my 830 has calcium in the rear tubes and it is a milky grayish color. I have to check tire pressure with the stem in the 12 o’clock position. If you don’t the fluid will squirt out.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm
by Gordy
propane1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 pm I always thought you fill to just below the air stem, with the wheel on the tractor and stem in the twelve o’clock position. And that was with any fluid. Then add the air pressure you want.

Noel
That is the way professionals do it so you can rise and lower tire pressure. With the small 23x10.50 -12's on my tractors and using the lighter -20 washer fluid, I put the tube in flat and hydraulically seat the tire then drain out 1/2 gallon which brings the pressure down to about 5 PSI, then add air to bring it back up to 10 PSI.

Gordy

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:27 pm
by Gordy
The calcium chloride I have seen looks clear in small quantities and slightly milky white in a bucket. Put a dab of it on your finger and taste it, calcium chloride will taste very salty, then rinse your mouth out. Note; you may need to rinse your mouth out 5-10 times to get rid of the salty taste ;) NO need to taste it if you have a open cut on your finger ;)

Gordy

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:53 pm
by Harry
I took a pic of the valve stem. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:53 pm I took a pic of the valve stem. :peace: Harry
That is a "Tractor Tube " that will hold calcium . How heavy were they when you got them? Those oversized tire would hold a lot 13.5 lbs. per Imperial Gallon / 11.86 lbs per US Gallon.
image.png
Based on the chart I am going to guess at 200 lbs plus rim, tire and wheel weights = +/- 400 lbs each side
Thats My guess if they are filled to 80% (which is what is done around here ) and a strong mix of CC being in norther states . I am sure traction will Not be an issue for you .
Food for thought .

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:16 am
by Harry
David, I’m not sure how much they weighed when I purchased them. I got them at an unbelievable price, so I didn’t ask a lot if questions. They were on a Kubota I was told and the seller sold the tractor with turf tires on the rear and the person buying it didn’t want the ags. I do remember when I slid them out of my pickup one of them tipped over on its side. I couldn’t pick it up and had to put a wedge under it then slid a strap under and through the rim hole. The used the portable crane to upright it. Since then I was very careful in rolling them. :peace: Harry