Combine wheel weights

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
Harry United States of America

Combine wheel weights

Post by Harry »

I was searching different items on CL a few weeks ago and found an ad that a guy was parting out a JD combine. The ad read most of the parts like engine and transmission are already sold. I wrote down the sellers number and put it in my wallet. I came across it yesterday so I called the seller this morning and he said the wheel weights are still there bolted to the steering wheels that were in the rear of the combine. He said he didn’t know to much about them or what they were worth. :35: I told him I would call him back and set up a time to come look at them. It’s about 1.5 hours from my location then back. I know I’ve seen wheel weights go for big $. Anyone out there who has purchased these big heavy weight before? I believe there are inner weights that are lighter and outer weights that are around 160 lbs each. Let me know your thoughts. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Re: Combine wheel weights

Post by Eugen »

Harry wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:50 pm I was searching different items on CL a few weeks ago and found an ad that a guy was parting out a JD combine. The ad read most of the parts like engine and transmission are already sold. I wrote down the sellers number and put it in my wallet. I came across it yesterday so I called the seller this morning and he said the wheel weights are still there bolted to the steering wheels that were in the rear of the combine. He said he didn’t know to much about them or what they were worth. :35: I told him I would call him back and set up a time to come look at them. It’s about 1.5 hours from my location then back. I know I’ve seen wheel weights go for big $. Anyone out there who has purchased these big heavy weight before? I believe there are inner weights that are lighter and outer weights that are around 160 lbs each. Let me know your thoughts. :peace: Harry
You know, location and whatever the seller thinks they're worth. The inner weights are 104 lbs each side, and the outer are 162 lbs per side. I'd say to him what are you asking for them, I'm not sure what to pay for them. If he insists you to make an offer, I'd offer steel scrap value first, and then go up from there to what you're willing to pay. Look up what does scrap steel go for per pound. Or look up tractor weights in your area and what see what they go for. I paid 50 each weight, it's what the guy asked. At the time I had no idea I'm getting a good deal.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Eugen, might be interested in the weights too...Ray
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Harry I haven’t bought weights but if I figured it right I think around $25 a piece for the outside ones and $15 a piece for the inside ones would be scrap price. If you can get them for that I think that would be a pretty good deal! Cast iron scrap at Niagara Metals is listed at $290 a gross ton.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Wheel weights can go for a lot of money. If the person knows the going rate. One to two dollar a pound is the going rate around here in my area. Everybody has there own thoughts as to what they could be worth.
I got two 75 lb weighs for my Case 446. They were of a Ford 3900 tractor. Front wheel weighs. Fit perfect. $200,00 for the two of them. I just paid him and away I went. Happily.

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I don't imagine shipping would be cheap but for reference, All States Ag has them listed on eBay $200 for two inners and $79. each for outers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134242218638?h ... BMyq_PoOBh
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123437085806?h ... BMyq_PoOBh
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I picked up the JD 162 lb outer weights about 3 years ago. I paid $120 for the pair. Got them from a farmer about 1.5hrs away from me. He had purchased a few items from an auction, and these were in one of the lots.
Still had the auction # tags on them. He was happy and I was happy. I've seen these ones advertised well over $200 for the pair several times.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Hey, it is a lot more weight than the D10 at 37.5 lbs. And they sell pretty easily at $100 each.

But, filling your tires should first. Rim Guard when you can and whatever if you cannot.

For me, Rim Guard is $4.40 a gallon, installed. 8.00-16 tires hold just under 12 gallons. That is $52.80 plus new steel or brass valve stems per tire. And you get the weight, but no rotating mass. That is 136 lbs per tire. For most people that is enough.

Loaders are a different story. For those, it is add up to 700 lbs, and hope that works.

The combine weights fit 16" rims just fine. They do not fit the stock 15" rims on a loader. But, if you do as I do on all loaders I can influence, you run a 15x10 rim and 29"-12.50x15" tires.

This size is commonly used as both fronts or rears for Kubota tractors. The deeper dish on these rims will hold either set of the combine weights. You will need a 2.75-3.00 inch wheel spacer. That is what I have gotten for this tire size in my area. One set was used up front tire tread and rims. The other is brand new take-offs from the rear with rims. I got such a good deal on the take-offs that were new that they were cheaper than the almost bald tires. Then to turn that into a total tank pay for the 2-link tire chains. I got lucky and got some new old equipment chains. They are huge links. I tried to find some for sale. In the equipment size range, they were over $500 for a set.

On the 644 it only could spin some when I used it in clay soil with the frost still in but thawing. But, I was pulling out of a pile of burnt barn timbers from a barn fire. On regular dirt, it would bypass before it could spin.
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

I found a JD guy up here in Canada who wants $250 per outer weight and $250 for each split weight set...
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Well, maybe my suggestion to offer near scrap value is way off. You got lots of opinions @Harry , good luck I hope you get these weights at a reasonable price! Please do let us know if the sale went through. The combine weights are my favourite for our Case tractors.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: