54" H54 dozer blade replacement springs

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
turboff Canada

54" H54 dozer blade replacement springs

Post by turboff »

So as I was plowing my property today with my 444, the blade just fell over. Both springs that give it tension snapped at the same time. Kind of annoying, yes the snow was wet and heavy but the fact they snapped that easily doesn't inspire much confidence.

Anyhow, do I have to get specific Case springs? Or can I just get generic springs that are the same length and feel like similar tension? I found the part number is C16805 and its about 26$ USD per spring plus shipping. If I can just use a generic spring that'd be nice...

Thanks all
Eugen Canada

Re: 54" H54 dozer blade replacement springs

Post by Eugen »

That sucks! They must've been cooked rusty, there's gotta be an explanation. I don't know where you'd find a replacement. 🤷‍♂️
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

You can use any spring that makes you happy, including none at all (By pinning it at the top in the fixed position)

But finding a spring that has about the right length and about the right tension will be strictly a "luck of the draw" proposition.

Maybe McMaster Carr or MSC or Grainger?

If it were me, I'd just buy the Case part.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I don't see any reason you can't use something other than OEM. A little more stout spring would not hurt, I wish mine were a little stronger, but if you get too strong the blade will snap back harder.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

turboff wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:57 pm So as I was plowing my property today with my 444, the blade just fell over. Both springs that give it tension snapped at the same time. Kind of annoying, yes the snow was wet and heavy but the fact they snapped that easily doesn't inspire much confidence.

Anyhow, do I have to get specific Case springs? Or can I just get generic springs that are the same length and feel like similar tension? I found the part number is C16805 and its about 26$ USD per spring plus shipping. If I can just use a generic spring that'd be nice...

Thanks all
Not knowing the tech. spec.s of the spring or being able to measure it on a pull scale finding a suitable replacement may take more time and gas running around trying to match one up . If you have a PA near by see if they have a couple of these .
https://www.princessauto.com/en/8003605 ... 0008378424
If not , based on what I was seeing for UTV blade trip spring $$ your going to pay as much or more for something that may not be the right spring rate .
Remember , those springs that broke are most likely 50 years old . So the chances of replaceing them a second time is very slim . I would order a set from the dealer if the PA one don't work out .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

$26 per spring doesn’t sound to high to me and I’m cheap. :giggle: Both springs broke at the same time, Wow! They must have been very rusted. I was thinking a place that sells snow plows may have springs but it’s probably hit and miss finding the correct size. They probably might be more than $26 each also. Myself because I’m so cheap as an experience I would try to weld them back together. I’ve done some welding on springs before and had good luck. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I have had success bending a new end on springs for other applications by heating and bending as needed to form a new end. If just the end broke off and if they are not too rusty. Some caution when re-hooking is advised, your mileage may vary.

The price for OEM is not so bad but adding the shipping and the over the border fees. :109:

If you come up with a good solution, let us know. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

I sell a fair number of these, 2 are still light enough to ship via USPS 1st Class Package to Canada, PM me your shipping address if you would like a quote.

https://www.casegardentractorparts.com/c1dobltrsp.html

Bob
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

Hey guys
Couldn't wait and ended up ordering a pair early this AM from Salem power. That spring is out of stock at every princess auto even remotely close to me.

Thanks for all the help!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

turboff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:08 pm Hey guys
Couldn't wait and ended up ordering a pair early this AM from Salem power. That spring is out of stock at every princess auto even remotely close to me.

Thanks for all the help!
When needing parts from USA , try Bob at myerslawnandgarden They everything they can to send postal as it saves us a lot in shipping and at the boarder .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder